Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default 67-69 Firebird/Camaro gas pedal upgrade

Im working on a 68 Camaro and the gas pedal is not correct, not sure what its from, but was basically screwed into the firewall with an aftermarket throttle cable attached. The problem was that a brake line broke and as I was pulling into the garage the two screws holding the pedal were loose and the gas pedal shifted behind the brake pedal. When I hit the brake pedal , which went to the floor, hit the gas pedal and began to speed up. Needless to say I threw those shorts away!!
Has anybody did a conversion/upgrade to their gas pedal to make it a cable operated from a linkage set up. I ordered a kit from Ground Up that used a 6cyl/cross ram Camaro gas pedal, a Nova throttle cable, and a bracket for the carb.
What other options do I have as I was sent an email that the kit was on back order. I see Jegs sells just the pedal, which looks great and billet, that bolts to the original location but needs to add a cable. This Camaro has a 502 installed so clearance is tight.
Did Firebird and Camaro use the same pedal set up?

Old 08-13-2021, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 68 was a stock 2 bbl with a cable operation. I used that set up when I went to 4bbl. I did have to modify the cable mount that bolted to the intake manifold.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 09-18-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

6cly cars in 68 and 9 used linkage, v-8 has cable.
Try our Host Ames Performance, D&R Classic, Rick's Camaros, Classic Industries, heartbeat city, Franks Pontiac Parts, F body Wharehouse.