THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Sorry but not interested in anything that has rollers on pavement.
If it matters, the rollers are only for moving them around. When in use they don't touch the floor or the car.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the QuickJack SLX 5000. I have used it on the '64 '72 GTO, my wife's Camaro, our '19 Equinox, our former '14 Cadillac ATS and will be using it on our new '21 Caddy CT4 Sport.

jhein - You don't need the extension as the stock SLX works fine on a 2nd gen.

Greg - Each side of the QJ is an independent unit - so width isn't an issue.

padgett - Those rollers are only to help you move the unit in position. They are not in use when the unit is in use.

Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro 1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	570880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro 3.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	570881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro 4.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	570882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Equinox on QJ.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	570883  

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I have the QuickJack SLX 5000. I have used it on the '64 '72 GTO, my wife's Camaro, our '19 Equinox, our former '14 Cadillac ATS and will be using it on our new '21 Caddy CT4 Sport.

jhein - You don't need the extension as the stock SLX works fine on a 2nd gen.

Greg - Each side of the QJ is an independent unit - so width isn't an issue.

padgett - Those rollers are only to help you move the unit in position. They are not in use when the unit is in use.

Some photos:
Hey Champ. Do you have a couple of minutes to give a quick review of this product? Up here in Canada, I am looking at the SLX 7000 at Costco.ca.

It might be a little overkill for me in terms of capacity, but the price is simply unreal at $1399.00 CDN delivered right to my door. They do not offer the SLX 5000, so my only option is the beefier unit.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah...I've been interested in these for awhile and thought the extension was needed for my A-body. A full review would be stellar.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-06-2021, 11:43 AM
Boost Engineer

I would do like Bart and make 4 of the Wooden Safety Stands to go under the wheels and tires. Slightly less height vs the max lift on your rig. Slide them in place and the car can't fall on you. Much safer vs Jack Stands, even good ones and there is a lot of Chinese crap jack stands out there today.

Even with my Uncle's Dual Post Dealership lifts we always put Tower Stands under the vehicle.
Same deal with the garages I was in a Ford over the years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In response to requests....

I purchased the 5000 roughly 3 years ago. Home Depot had it on sale for $1025, IIRC.

I've used it, as I stated above, on the GTO, Camaro, Equinox and Caddy. A friend of mine was interested in the 5000 for his BMW Z3 - test lift was successful. He now owns a set too. At full extension, it will lift 21". Cars are rock solid when lifted. They are locked in place and have to be lifted to release the locks. For the Camaro, I purchased the pinch weld blocks to allow me to cradle the nearly 50 year old pinch welds. The pinch welds blocks were not needed to lift the Cadillac ATS.

Obviously with the 5 vehicles I've lifted, they are of all different shapes and sizes. To lift, you just position each half so that the lifting blocks make proper contact with a designed lift point. I never tried lifting my '81 Chevy C10 (and I just sold it, so I won't be attempting) or the '49 Caddy limo - but with the much longer wheel base and the heavier weight I never planned to try.

One of the reasons I purchased this was because of my multiple surgeries (emergency lung surgery and 3 cancer operations), it is extremely painful for me to bend over and polish rims. The photos I posted earlier of the Camaro - that was a wheel polishing day and with the car elevated I can sit down on my rolling stool and get the job done pain free.

I feel much safer under the car with the QJ than with my US made jack stands.

Positioning is easily accomplished by a 67 year old like myself. I can lift one end of each half and roll one to the right and one to the left side of the vehicle to be lifted with the little wheels shown in the photo above. Depending on your garage, you may have to use the quick connects and temporarily disconnect one side, but reconnecting is a 10 second job. The hydraulic power unit will go in front of the vehicle to be lifted. After fine positioning is completed so the lift blocks are in the proper position, just hit the "UP" button and lift to desired height (2 different heights available) and set the locks and lower slightly to lock the unit in the up position. To lower, lift until the locks are free, release the locks and lower.

Here is a link to all kinds of videos to answer many of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...63zFDWtXlA8WgH

When needed, tech support was very high quality.

I would buy them again.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
... For the Camaro, I purchased the pinch weld blocks to allow me to cradle the nearly 50 year old pinch welds...
Did you need the pinch weld blocks because of front and rear frame rail alignment or something else?

If it is because of frame rail alignment, would you recommend the pinch weld blocks or the crossbeam adapter?

https://www.quickjack.com/accessorie...sbeam-adapter/

My QJ 5000 is sitting in boxes in my shop right now because I've been too busy to get to it...

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 08-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the pinch weld blocks because I didn't want to risk damaging the nearly 50 year old pinch welds. I've had zero issues getting things lined up to "cradle" the pinch welds. I might have been overly concerned, but the blocks weren't hat expensive. I've cut up a foam pillow to allow me to set the pinch weld blocks exactly where I want them and hold them in place while I lift the car. The area to set the blocks in allows for plenty of room to move the blocks from one side to the other if the pinch welds are not in a straight line.

Photo showing the pinch weld blocks in action - sorry it's not super clear - it's just taken with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro 2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	570887  

Old 08-18-2021, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, l quit thinking about it and pulled the trigger. I have the 7000 on the way. My lower back will thank me l believe. Tired of dragging floor jacks and jackstands around.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 08-18-2021, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you'll be happy with it Greg. I know mine has saved me a lot of pain....

Old 08-19-2021, 01:31 AM

Checkout CL and FB Marketplace for shops that are closing down.

They're usually desperate to sell any equipment they have.

I picked this portable lift up years ago from a local shop that shut their doors for only $150 bucks delivered to my shop

Was brand new still wrapped up in plastic

I have since added loading planks for lowered cars

Old 08-19-2021, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need for planks with the QJ. Both the GTO and Camaro are lowered and the QJ just slides in from each side without a problem. The lift is only 3" tall until activated.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I think you'll be happy with it Greg. I know mine has saved me a lot of pain....
Yeah, l'm going through one of my back episodes right now. In fact, if they deliver it today I will have to get on my hands and knees to unpack it.
Ask for the low profile, that's one of the things that attracted me to the Quickjack. I've been having to use a small scissor jack to lift my Datsun up high enough to get my floor jack under it for years.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
No need for planks with the QJ. Both the GTO and Camaro are lowered and the QJ just slides in from each side without a problem. The lift is only 3" tall until activated.
That's cool

Mine has adjustable arms for using the proper lift points, so it's a bit higher.

Works fine on all my cars, but none of them are lowered.

Love the fact that I can move it around the shop and just slide it under any busted vehicle

https://youtu.be/WOVSPCoL81I

Old 08-19-2021, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, it is nice how you can bring the lift to the car with the QJ too. As long as you can get 110 volts to it, it will work, in your shop, in your driveway or at the race track....

Old 08-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Bought mine about 5 years ago and I believe I had a choice of 12 volt or 110?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
In response to requests....

I purchased the 5000 roughly 3 years ago. Home Depot had it on sale for $1025, IIRC.

I've used it, as I stated above, on the GTO, Camaro, Equinox and Caddy. A friend of mine was interested in the 5000 for his BMW Z3 - test lift was successful. He now owns a set too. At full extension, it will lift 21". Cars are rock solid when lifted. They are locked in place and have to be lifted to release the locks. For the Camaro, I purchased the pinch weld blocks to allow me to cradle the nearly 50 year old pinch welds. The pinch welds blocks were not needed to lift the Cadillac ATS.

Obviously with the 5 vehicles I've lifted, they are of all different shapes and sizes. To lift, you just position each half so that the lifting blocks make proper contact with a designed lift point. I never tried lifting my '81 Chevy C10 (and I just sold it, so I won't be attempting) or the '49 Caddy limo - but with the much longer wheel base and the heavier weight I never planned to try.

One of the reasons I purchased this was because of my multiple surgeries (emergency lung surgery and 3 cancer operations), it is extremely painful for me to bend over and polish rims. The photos I posted earlier of the Camaro - that was a wheel polishing day and with the car elevated I can sit down on my rolling stool and get the job done pain free.

I feel much safer under the car with the QJ than with my US made jack stands.

Positioning is easily accomplished by a 67 year old like myself. I can lift one end of each half and roll one to the right and one to the left side of the vehicle to be lifted with the little wheels shown in the photo above. Depending on your garage, you may have to use the quick connects and temporarily disconnect one side, but reconnecting is a 10 second job. The hydraulic power unit will go in front of the vehicle to be lifted. After fine positioning is completed so the lift blocks are in the proper position, just hit the "UP" button and lift to desired height (2 different heights available) and set the locks and lower slightly to lock the unit in the up position. To lower, lift until the locks are free, release the locks and lower.

Here is a link to all kinds of videos to answer many of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...63zFDWtXlA8WgH

When needed, tech support was very high quality.

I would buy them again.
Thanks Champ for a great review. I ordered my 7000s from Costco.ca

Old 08-20-2021, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i just ordered one, thanks for the tips. i'd never seen one.

Old 09-08-2021, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it set up.
This used to take quite a bit of time and effort to get a car up this high. I'm liking it. It's almost worth the buy-in just as a jack to raise it high enough to put jack stands under, but with the locks I would only do that if I needed it at a specific height that was between the two settings for the locks.
I also like it for working under the hood. For me it's much more comfortable to stand straight up and do many of the things on the top end. It will greatly increase the comfort of any wheel work also. With this I can do it sitting in a chair.
To give some idea of height, l'm 6'2" and the roof is eye level at it's peak. The lower edge of the rocker panel is 24" at about midpoint. This is with two rubber blocks in place.
I think it's going to be a back saver.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg

I'm 5'6" and I need to get on a step stool to reach inside the hood when lifted...')