Old 06-11-2018, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Over the hump...

...Ran her all weekend and happy to report all positive results.
This go-round has been exhausting to say the least, she fought me every inch of the way.
Maybe I'm just getting old, but Hollys*it what an event.

I will add the one piece that made this on and off again assembly a bit more tolerable was the adjustable cam sprocket.
This made a world of difference with having to lift the Cam/House several times over.
It was nice not to have to touch the accessory housing which in the past would always be a source of minor oil leaks once I had to re-Adjust for any reason.

All I can say is to any and all wrenching on their Cammer and pulling there hair out in the process it's sometimes it's best to walkaway for a bit and re-group.
But don't give in, it will all come together and when it does I hope you realize it's worth it.

Cheers & Drive On!

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 05-30-2023 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up SUNNY DAY WEATHER...

...So far so good, had a great weekend driving around and catching up with the clan.

Expecting some high temps in the coming weeks so we'll give her another long drive run when it's upper 90's. Since the AC is still off line, I'll run on the back up 4-70 air

Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Hi Jeff, Where did you get the adjustable cam sprocket ? It's a great idea !

Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a Sprintbird adjustable sproket! Sold by "Sprintbird" Rob on here. Maybe send him a PM? Not sure what his e-mail is.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
Not sure what his e-mail is.
Rob Egbert @ (937)538-1525 or sregbert@woh.rr.com

Old 08-27-2018, 05:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up STATUS REPORT;

Well I've been getting her out as much as possible as it's either rain or 95+ temps with nothing in between

Happy to report all systems functioning very well. The carb has been great and would recommend Custom Rebuilt Carbs to anyone looking for service.

Head work has been great with just a slight bump in operating temps but still maintaining just above 180 so very pleased there.

Chased and resolved the never ending oil seepage here and there I do believe some are just wear in the casting/mating surfaces that come over time.
If your re-doing one of these engines make sure to pay close attention to all the matting surfaces on the aluminum parts, they can be a PITA to seal if there are any deficiencies.

The new starter/ignition harness from M&H fit as it should and has made a world of difference,
I was amazed upon inspection of the existing harness of how many repairs I had made to the old (new) harness over time in the 23+ years it's been in service.

Anyhow this weekend was one of the better and I had her out all day Saturday and joined up with fellow Pontiacer's here and there, making all this round and round worth it!

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 05-30-2023 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Senior Chief

Jeff, those pics look like a shot of a dealer having a sale back in the day......the flag the tiger and lotsa eye candy cars.................

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose"
Old 03-27-2021, 04:05 PM

Hi Jeff , I'm getting ready to paint the stripes on my cam cover . I have a couple of questions . What kind of paint did you use on yours ? How did you apply it ? Did you use a bristle brush or a foam brush ? You did a great job on yours and I would like to duplicate it on mine . Thanks ahead for the info . Don

Old 03-27-2021, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don,
Just basic automotive paints. No tape.
Only apply the paint to the very tops of the raised areas.
Several small good bristle brushes and a steady hand.
Believe me it looks better from afar

Old 03-27-2021, 06:41 PM

Jeff , Thanks for the quick reply . I'm off this week due to Spring Break . I'm going to try and play with it in my spare time . Thanks Again . Don