Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-12-2021, 04:15 PM

Default 1969 Pontiac GTO Coil springs - stock appearance what are most people using?

Good day

Looking to replace my coil springs on my 69 GTO JUDGE 4 spd no A/C. I am looking for close to factory but I dont want that "rake" tail dragging look I want it a bit higher. Right now my rear springs have a rubber spacer ( not my doing ) so it does not have a "rake" look. I did a search on posts already, most people that want stock appearance lean towards MOOG, some go with coil spring specialty which was more than Moog , was quoted $450 for all 4.

I called MOOG they dont have a part # for the fronts, said they never did at least the person I spoke to. Based on a receipt given to me by the previous owner over 20 yrs ago looks I have MOOG 5372 (which is for a tempest) in the front, I have no clue on the rears I have read most people get 5401? The one place I was working said they were going to give me 5450s( more of a chevelle spring) in the front which maybe too high.

Can you let me know what you had success/satisfied with ? And if you can provide the MOOG or part #s, Thanks!

Can

Old 05-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used Eaton Detroit Spring on a couple cars. Select the application (make & model, A/C or not, convertible, etc.), front/rear/both, spring rate (standard of HD) and ride height (stock, +1, +1.5, etc., or custom). On my 67 GTO I went with +1 which gave me a modest/tasteful 70's stance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8680.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	566473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3704 (1).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	566474  

Old 05-13-2021, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When restoring my '64 GTO back in the early 90's, I ordered the correct springs from our host here.

What I learned after the fact, was that factory ride height had the rear end sitting lower, which I didn't care for. So I left the correct front springs in place and ordered custom made rear springs from Coil Spring Specialties. I requested .75" over stock and that's exactly what I got.

Measuring before and after installation of the new springs showed the ride height in the rear was almost exactly .75".

coilsprings.com

Old 05-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/d...sinquiry2.php? This is one of the easiest charts to go by. You can go standard height or 1 to 1 1/2 or 2 inch over by checking the right one.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM

68 GTO here, no a/c, no power brakes, and 4-speed.

Used the common MOOG 5401 springs for the rear and 5380 for the fronts.
It took me a while to find the fronts as I was searching for the more correct spring rate when I was searching for springs. I remember searching for a spring rate around 320 in./in. I believe the 5380's were around 316-318 in/in

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 05-15-2021, 08:25 PM

Can,

Replaced the springs on my 1969 GTO last year which I purchased from Ames.
Fronts part number S327 1968-1969 FRONT COIL SPRINGS
Rears part number S364 1968-1972 REAR SPRINGS, FIRM R

First two Pictures are old springs and new last two pictures

You can see the front was sagging with the old springs. Plus it had major bottoming out issues.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_110338.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	566646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_110314_1.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	566647   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210403_130758.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	566648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210403_130740.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	566649  

Old 05-19-2021, 08:01 PM

Thank you I appreciate the responses, I ordered fronts and rears through coilsprings.com, I will snap some photos and posted them up once installed.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS1 View Post
Thank you I appreciate the responses, I ordered fronts and rears through coilsprings.com, I will snap some photos and posted them up once installed.
Did you get them installed? I'd like to see a photo and how happy you are with your new springs.

It is weird that Moog doesn't list front coil springs for a '69. They do list springs for a '68. I've never understood why front coil springs would be different. Isn't the weight of the 2 virtually identical?

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil View Post
68 GTO here, no a/c, no power brakes, and 4-speed.

Used the common MOOG 5401 springs for the rear and 5380 for the fronts.
It took me a while to find the fronts as I was searching for the more correct spring rate when I was searching for springs. I remember searching for a spring rate around 320 in./in. I believe the 5380's were around 316-318 in/in
I don't see 5380 front springs listed for a '68 GTO. Looks like they are for a Chevelle with a V6 and small block V8 without a/c. Seems like you would bottom out with those springs in a GTO.

Are those springs working out well for you?

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 09-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FWIW I also ordered from Ames the recommended springs for my 69 4 spd convert, no ac, and went with Delco stock replacement shocks all around. Put the rocker height right at the center of the 14" Ralley II's. Have often heard that is correct for these cars. Switched to 15"s since but still sits about center of the wheel

Old 09-07-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I don't see 5380 front springs listed for a '68 GTO. Looks like they are for a Chevelle with a V6 and small block V8 without a/c. Seems like you would bottom out with those springs in a GTO.

Are those springs working out well for you?
No problems so far, no bottoming out or scraping of the chassis. I've had them on for about 4 years and have had a chance to settle in.

The springs were not listed for any specific vehicle when I was searching for them. I just knew the approx. spring rate I needed and went searching this way, not model specific.

1987 Pontiac Grand Prix - Sage/Sage/Sage - GM 305/Th200-4r

2004 Pontiac GTO - IBM over Black - LSx 440/6-speed/4.10 SRA - Single Digit Stick Shift
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
No problems so far, no bottoming out or scraping of the chassis. I've had them on for about 4 years and have had a chance to settle in.
The springs were not listed for any specific vehicle when I was searching for them. I just knew the approx. spring rate I needed and went searching this way, not model specific.
Thanks for responding. I'm trying to figure out what to do for springs for my '69 convertible so this really helps me.
Stunning car btw! I really like the stance you have with those springs too.

When I acquired my car last year, it had what looked like fairly new springs installed in it. The engine was out of the car when I bought it.
When dismantling the entire car I noticed that the springs had the number 5386 stamped into them. That does correspond to a Moog number but I think there might be other manufacturers that use the same number system for the same spec spring as Moog. But they are probably Moog.

The Moog website does list the 5386 as the correct springs for a '68 GTO convertible with A/C. But they don't list any front coil springs for a '69. I can't figure out why they wouldn't be the same.

I am concerned my car will sit too high with these springs. I'm doing some modifications that will lighten the front. My car does have A/C, PDB and PS but I'm going to use an aluminum compressor. Also an aluminum intake manifold and an aluminum 2 core radiator. And, a mini starter. I'm guessing all that added up will be 100 or so pounds lighter up front than stock.

It seems like I should choose a spring with a lower load weight and or spring rate. Any advice you can give me?

Here's a list of Moog choices I put together in order of spring rate.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Thanks for responding. I'm trying to figure out what to do for springs for my '69 convertible so this really helps me.
Stunning car btw! I really like the stance you have with those springs too.

When I acquired my car last year, it had what looked like fairly new springs installed in it. The engine was out of the car when I bought it.
When dismantling the entire car I noticed that the springs had the number 5386 stamped into them. That does correspond to a Moog number but I think there might be other manufacturers that use the same number system for the same spec spring as Moog. But they are probably Moog.

The Moog website does list the 5386 as the correct springs for a '68 GTO convertible with A/C. But they don't list any front coil springs for a '69. I can't figure out why they wouldn't be the same.

I am concerned my car will sit too high with these springs. I'm doing some modifications that will lighten the front. My car does have A/C, PDB and PS but I'm going to use an aluminum compressor. Also an aluminum intake manifold and an aluminum 2 core radiator. And, a mini starter. I'm guessing all that added up will be 100 or so pounds lighter up front than stock.

It seems like I should choose a spring with a lower load weight and or spring rate. Any advice you can give me?

Here's a list of Moog choices I put together in order of spring rate.

Thanks for the compliments. Been watching you work wonders on the 69 in your own thread, so

The 5386 springs you pulled out don't seem too bad. I don't think you will have as much weight over the nose of the car as these springs are advertised for.

I was always told that springs are for static ride height.

Looking at mine, the 5380 springs have an 11.25" compressed height. You may want to shoot for a compression height of about the same and just shoot for the weighted load number. To me, the 5386 springs you have already may be the way to go to start off with. Once you get everything put together, then you will have a better chance to find a spring that your happy with.

Personally, the 5374 springs may eventually be the best, as the spring rate is about what the stock rate was and it will support a little bit more weight over the nose than the 5380 springs I have. You may give up a little in ride height, but it may not make much of a difference as the weight of everything will be supported and you can manage ride comfort with the correct shocks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gastiresandoil For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. Been watching you work wonders on the 69 in your own thread, so

The 5386 springs you pulled out don't seem too bad. I don't think you will have as much weight over the nose of the car as these springs are advertised for.

I was always told that springs are for static ride height.

Looking at mine, the 5380 springs have an 11.25" compressed height. You may want to shoot for a compression height of about the same and just shoot for the weighted load number. To me, the 5386 springs you have already may be the way to go to start off with. Once you get everything put together, then you will have a better chance to find a spring that your happy with.

Personally, the 5374 springs may eventually be the best, as the spring rate is about what the stock rate was and it will support a little bit more weight over the nose than the 5380 springs I have. You may give up a little in ride height, but it may not make much of a difference as the weight of everything will be supported and you can manage ride comfort with the correct shocks.
Thank you again.
If you are up to date with my build thread, you know I have the engine and components installed along with the steering box and the front sheet metal and bumper installed. At this point, the control arms are still against the bump stops and I can't even push down on the front to get it to move. Seems like it should be sitting down at least a little.
But you are right I shouldn't change the springs until everything is installed in the car and see how it sits.
I also had my eye on the 5374 set if I need to replace what I've got.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stags View Post
FWIW I also ordered from Ames the recommended springs for my 69 4 spd convert, no ac, and went with Delco stock replacement shocks all around. Put the rocker height right at the center of the 14" Ralley II's. Have often heard that is correct for these cars. Switched to 15"s since but still sits about center of the wheel
I just looked up in the Ames catalog and it would be the S325 that you must have ordered. That's the only spring that Ames lists the specs for and it appears to me that they are the Moog 5390. Even though I have A/C, my front weight will probably be lower than a stock non A/C car. The 5390 is one step lower than the 5386 which I have now and the 5374 would be next step down from those.