Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Installing Rear Speaker Switch where none existed, 67 LeMans

I received my rear speaker from our host and would like to add it to the AM/FM radio that came in the car. The radio works perfectly and even the front speaker sounds good. We got a rear speaker switch from a member here (thanks) and are inquiring as to how much work it is to install, in a car that never had one.
One important factor is that ours is an AC car. I was spoiled working under the dash of our non-air Tempest, but this AC thing is a whole different ball game.
AC aside, what has to be done to accomodate the switch? I'm thinking that, at least for now, I would just run a wire directly back to the speaker if it's too much work.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Once you have the switch installed a blue lead plugs into the switch lead and runs under the carpet alone the passenger side trans tunnel.
From there it is covered by the metal wire shield and under the seating area.

The rear package shelf will need to be removed.
Most non-rear speaker cars had a solid package shelve cover, this would require a speaker grill and was always part of the dealer-installed speaker package.

If your car came from the factory you would get a mesh rear package tray cover and this has perforated holes for speaker/sound.

With the tray cover out there is a speaker mounting provision at the center on all cars.
There are four slip-on bolts/clips that get slipped into 4 holes these hold the speaker up against the underside of the rear shelf.

There is also an insulated cardboard speaker enclosure that gets installed over the speaker. The wires will run through the hole in the cardboard enclosure.

Hope this makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR SPEAKER 2.jpeg.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	567988   Click image for larger version

Name:	66-67 REAR SPEAKER XX.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	567989   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOOR 7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	567990   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 REAR PACKAGE SHELF 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	567991   Click image for larger version

Name:	66-67 DEFOGGER  (1)xxxxx.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	567992  

Old 06-11-2021, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Jeff
It looks like I’ll have to order a few more parts! I do have the stipple cardboard package tray and speaker grille.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to apologize as I re-read your inquiry and realized you were after the switch install details and not the speaker.

As far as the switch goes you have it a bit easier over the '66. if you removed the dash pad and loosen the dash bezel you should be able to get the switch in from above.

I'm sort of in the same boat as I have to install a new power top switch on a '67 and the process is about the same.

The rear speaker switch should be installed between the 2 right-hand side gauge pods. This requires two holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 DASH BEZEL 3 speaker sw.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	568065   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 DASH LAYOUT.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	568066