Old 08-03-2021, 06:47 PM

Default No slop/quick ratio gear box. What's best?

Just got my 67 GTO back on the road after a few years of sitting. About 8 years ago I remember replacing the gear box with a "quick ratio" unit. It seems to have more on-center type slop than it used to. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't like it. What's the best ~12.5-1 ratio and 2.5 to 3 turns to lock box for my car? I'd prefer more steering effort as well. This current box doesn't have the same stops as my stock box did and the turning radius is higher. Thanks for the advise in advance.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps consider sending your current box to Turn One in Saginaw, Michigan or perhaps Lee in California for rebuild/enhancement. Tell them what you desire and send it in.

Tim john---

Old 08-03-2021, 09:03 PM

Unfortunately, the car has a remanufactured box that isn't correct so I'd rather look for a replacement. Can you steer me in the right direction?

Old 08-03-2021, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Best is still likely to be Lee or Turn One. I’ve never really heard a complaint about either company. You do pay for it.

For a cheaper solution both Borgeson and Lares makes a quick ratio .210 torsion bar box as well. I have the Lares box in my 1969 Firebird and I’ve enjoyed the upgrade over my old worn out stock box.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 AM

Can you tell me which Lars box is best? I want to get my proper turn radius back while keeping the 2.5 or so turns to lock. How about something with increased steering effort? This one has a really loose feel to it.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Turning radius can be a bunch of different things. The Lares boxes for GM cars are all based on the A body steering box which have no internal stops in them. Any turning radius reduction you see from an a-body style stop would be caused by wider tires hitting the frame, a steering system that wasn't rebuilt on-center etc.

This is the gear I have. https://catalog.larescorp.com/part/10972/ You also need a 13/16"-36 spline rag joint to adapt it.

The gear is labeled as a 10:1 ratio but I kind of doubt it's that fast, it's probably actually 12.5 Steering effort will increase quite a bit over the factory box with the .210 torsion bar.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:55 AM

Looks like the Lares boxes are pretty hard to come by. Is this Borgeson the .210 like you're talking about? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-800130

Old 08-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe some of them are. I don't have a borgeson box so I can't comment on that directly.

Also, in regards to your slop, keep in mind a box will always have a bit of a dead on-center feel. As far as actual slop goes, a big part of that is also in the steering linkage. If the steering system hasn't had an update in quite a while, a rebuild should also be done. That will further reduce the tolerance stack that causes on-center slop.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found, a lot more goes into this than just the steering box itself. It is just a big part of a larger system which includes appropriate adjustment of your existing box. Power steering pressure and volume as well as alignment specifications and the quality of components such as your rag joint, idler arm etc.

For my car, I am currently doing all of the little stuff first so I can assure myself I will be happy sticking a $500 Borgeson box in my car.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:26 AM

My car has been sitting for 6 years until recently but before that it had almost all the front end parts replaced and a new alignment done. Back then the steering was pretty tight and it was easy to drive. What could sitting that long have damaged to cause my issues? The tires are round but they are old. No rot or anything but they've been parked.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anything that is a soft part in the system may contribute. If the car was pretty tight 6 years ago and you haven’t driven it since, I’d be looking at the steering linkage first, especially the ball joints that join the various links.

I’d also be looking at the rag joint from the steering shaft to the box. Basically anything that is soft and could have deteriorated with time.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:17 PM
Suspended

I have the Lee 800 series box with a 14:1 ratio and a 30 pound valve..

Old 08-15-2021, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

I like the 808 box. Hard part is getting the pitman arm (are many) off.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get a rebuilt one from Carhex (Hector Carillo). You can also send yours in for rebuilding with quick ratio internals

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk