Old 08-08-2021, 07:16 PM

Default 1969 gto value?

Car is a 1 owner numbers matching car ys400 auto originally black with white interior a/c power brakes discs and windows. basically needs everything but everything is there. What do you guys think its worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	570984  

Old 08-08-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Other than the factory power windows, that is the way most dealership stock '69 GTO hardtops were optioned in the South, Southern Plains, & SW. Have cut up quite a few that were fairly solid with no regrets. I'd have to assess the condition of many parts on a '68-70 GTO equipped like that before could hazard an offer. Any major panels not have serious rust???

Old 08-08-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Other than the factory power windows, that is the way most dealership stock '69 GTO hardtops were optioned in the South, Southern Plains, & SW. Have cut up quite a few that were fairly solid with no regrets. I'd have to assess the condition of many parts on a '68-70 GTO equipped like that before could hazard an offer. Any major panels not have serious rust???
Actually all panels arent bad and the ones that are come with good panels. Floors and trunk are the only panels that would need bought and theyre not horrible.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Am seeing rot all around the LH rear wheel house. High quality installation of a full reproduction 1/4 & outer wheelhouse will be needed at a minimum. the passenger side just as bad? Most likely, the trunk drops as well. If this was a high value RA car, I wouldn't even source repro full 1/4's. While the full repro 1/4's are slightly thinner guage stampings, they have issues in the lower window corners & the corners will have to be carefully reworked. Not impressed with the cheap hip 1/4's, have examined the installs on quite a few '68/69's over the years.

Full floors & trunk floors can be a bunch of fun to install. The 3 piece trunk floors, often times Golden Star, are thin & major junk. If those are trunk pieces being offered, not much value. One should evaluate how far to the rear of the car the rust in the trunk floor extends. If it's into the far rear triangular boxed structure at the base of the tailpanel structure, all of that will have to sourced nice used.

For many years, in my region, the best drivers & "field cars" we're very solid & had for the most part, rust in the lower right 1/4 behind the wheel opening. As paved roads are crowned, many drivers side 1/4's remained solid as a rock, while a car's passenger side tires ride in a trough which results in slinging up the winter slop. 25 years ago, did a ton of work on a nice '69 GTO out of New Mexico that had rust underneath the drivers side 1/4 hidden by the rear lower stainless. So much for a lifetime NM car being solid in the lower LH 1/4. Many times the catwalk (tulip panel) behind the rear window has rot so bad, not only the outer panel (reproduced) will need replacement, but there will be rot in the underlying stamped panel. Lots of places for rust to hide. Until one investigates how extensive the damage is, it's not responsible to state a price range.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 08-08-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Am seeing rot all around the LH rear wheel house. High quality installation of a full reproduction 1/4 & outer wheelhouse will be needed at a minimum. the passenger side just as bad? Most likely, the trunk drops as well. If this was a high value RA car, I wouldn't even source repro full 1/4's. While the full repro 1/4's are slightly thinner guage stampings, they have issues in the lower window corners & the corners will have to be carefully reworked. Not impressed with the cheap hip 1/4's, have examined the installs on quite a few '68/69's over the years.

Full floors & trunk floors can be a bunch of fun to install. The 3 piece trunk floors, often times Golden Star, are thin & major junk. If those are trunk pieces being offered, not much value. One should evaluate how far to the rear of the car the rust in the trunk floor extends. If it's into the far rear triangular boxed structure at the base of the tailpanel structure, all of that will have to sourced nice used.

For many years, in my region, the best drivers & "field cars" we're very solid & had for the most part, rust in the lower right 1/4 behind the wheel opening. As paved roads are crowned, many drivers side 1/4's remained solid as a rock, while a car's passenger side tires ride in a trough which results in slinging up the winter slop. 25 years ago, did a ton of work on a nice '69 GTO out of New Mexico that had rust underneath the drivers side 1/4 hidden by the rear lower stainless. So much for a lifetime NM car being solid in the lower LH 1/4. Many times the catwalk (tulip panel) behind the rear window has rot so bad, not only the outer panel (reproduced) will need replacement, but there will be rot in the underlying stamped panel. Lots of places for rust to hide. Until one investigates how extensive the damage is, it's not responsible to state a price range.
Im going to look at it further tommorrow. Kind of just wanting a ball park figure because my expertise doesnt lie with Pontiacs.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger knows he stuff. I note pushed-in front valence. Kinked hood, rot in lower driver's fender heel and likely front of door edge. I imagine that the passenger side is similar. Rust never sleeps. Restoration is noble but is it viable for value of finished product and effort?

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seem to remember seeing that posted for sale for $5k obo. Roger and 68gtoMN are spot on as usual. I know Roger knows these cars inside and out. If it’s all original as far as drivetrain and not a complete rot box, I personally think it should be a decent buy. Go in with a $3,500 offer if you like it and see what happens.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Until one investigates how extensive the damage is, it's not responsible to state a price range.
100% this. If the car has sat outside in an area where it rains or is humid, every panel will need patching if not outright fixing\replacing. Even a car that was covered under a carport east of Abilene without being driven for years will have plenty of surface rust on the body panels and mounting screws\bolts. The interior will either be sun baked and need to be replaced or full of mildew\mold and need to be replaced. Every electrical item in the dash will be corroded and intermittent or failed, requiring cleaning and replacement. The power windows are a bonus, but they could be completely corroded and need a major overhaul themselves as well. The engine may be locked up, it may be free, but it will need attention. You're basically buying a VIN plate and data plate, hoping the numbers matching original engine, transmission, carb, etc are there and usable and then rebuilding the car from the ground up to make it decent again.

Judging by the sole picture, it looks like it's sat for 20 years if not longer. I can easily see someone asking up to $10,000 for it as it sits, but I would not pay that nor would I advise anyone else that it's a good buy without seeing more of it. I have bought numerous cars of this type and they *always* have more rust and problems than you'd expect and unless you're good at fabricating the metal and fixing the body, it's gonna be a long and expensive restoration. Probably worth it for a RA manual trans car or a Judge, but a base GTO without hideaways (maybe even just a 2bbl) it wouldn't be for me.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:04 PM

Well I could get it for $4k for sure maybe less but it doesnt sound like its the car for me.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I see no mention of the frame in this thread. That car appears to have sat in place for decades and has sunk several inches into the turf. If the frame is soft and rusted, I'd suggest that this is a parts car.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 08-09-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
I see no mention of the frame in this thread. That car appears to have sat in place for decades and has sunk several inches into the turf. If the frame is soft and rusted, I'd suggest that this is a parts car.
Its soft. Comes with a complete good rolling frame but like I said not the car for me.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the good info guys.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll give you $200 for the left front fender if it doesn't have any filler