Old 08-17-2021, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Dash paint

Does anyone know the code or paint number for the dash paint used on a 68 GTO with Ivy Gold interior.

I found the can I used last time, says Medium Gold Poly 1968 Buick.

The old paint still appears to be in great shape, if it's correct I can use it, if not then I need to get what is correct.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the upper dash 0% gloss color when the rest of the interior is April Gold is a darker Olive Dark Gold, Ditzler 43799 according to this chart. My 68 has a Red interior but the upper dash is supposed to be Burgundy, which I can verify is the case. If you're talking about the rest of the dash, then it shows April Gold Poly Ditzler 22988
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968-Pontiac_pg02.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	571516  

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2021, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, I had no idea they used different gloss on upper and lower dash. The PPG product I have now is certainly not gloss, but it's not 0% gloss either.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres a good example of the gloss differences Data. The lower dash is low gloss while the upper is 0%. I also noticed the interior rear window corner elbows and bottom trim was the same color as the upper dash
I used the interior paints from NPD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012ADF95-BF65-4988-8C62-C1C6792A99B0_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	571521  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2021, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

69gtocv, just checked my old paint, yep it's Ditzler 22988 .... and now that you mention it I definitely remember the original dash top was darker than the lower dash. I can still see where the darker green was used on the trim at the back of the package tray. The darker green was a closer match to the darker green dash pad than is the lower dash paint.

Need to get all this sorted before a put in the glass .... which will hopefully be this winter.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
69gtocv, just checked my old paint, yep it's Ditzler 22988 .... and now that you mention it I definitely remember the original dash top was darker than the lower dash. I can still see where the darker green was used on the trim at the back of the package tray. The darker green was a closer match to the darker green dash pad than is the lower dash paint.

Need to get all this sorted before a put in the glass .... which will hopefully be this winter.
Hopefully you can find someone to mix that Olive Dark Gold in 0% gloss for you.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just checked NPD on OG68's suggestion. Looks like they got your color. It doesn't say if it is 0% gloss or not though, but they also sell a flat clear to shoot over it, so it's probably what they suggest to get the 0% look.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/inte...0000%26year%3D

Old 08-18-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Considering it's only the top of the dash and a few trim pieces I'll probably look for a rattle can touch up paint ... somewhere.

Previously I just painted the whole dash with the 22988 ... will do that again if need be. Although I never drove it that way ... not sure if there would be a visibility issue or not.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Considering it's only the top of the dash and a few trim pieces I'll probably look for a rattle can touch up paint ... somewhere.

Previously I just painted the whole dash with the 22988 ... will do that again if need be. Although I never drove it that way ... not sure if there would be a visibility issue or not.
Check my last post

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you .... just ordered that, very timely post thank you

Old 08-18-2021, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thank you .... just ordered that, very timely post thank you
You bet. Let me know how it turns out. I probably needed to re-shoot the top of my dash, but I had no reason to remove the original front windshield and since it isn't leaking, I'm not going to take a chance in screwing that up

Old 08-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

This is exactly why they used a flat paint on top vs. Gloss. Sunlight coming into car reflecting into eye and onto windshield causes huge issues with outward visibility.

On a tangent, this is why the inner portions of the '68 upper fender stainless trim was painted flat black from the factory. Anyone who has driven a car that was "restored" and this flat black not applied (but polished up) can confirm the extra shine. Lastly, the stainless lower windshield molding was not a high polish piece for the same reflection reasons.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
The Following User Says Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So the upper fender trim had the back side where it screws on, toward the windshield painted flat black?
Maybe do the SS trim with some medium steel wool, something like that?

Old 08-23-2021, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So the upper fender trim had the back side where it screws on, toward the windshield painted flat black?
Maybe do the SS trim with some medium steel wool, something like that?
100% correct for 1968. Flat black on backsides. Stainless trim at lower windshield was like a medium steel wool finish, just a bit less than polished - reflections are muddied and not mirror-like. I'll take pictures from my 67K original convertible (1st ever produced) to show finish.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)

Last edited by 68gtoMN; 08-23-2021 at 02:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just tried out that dash paint. It's not the darker green, it's semi-gloss or gloss lower dash paint. Name looks right, but it's got the usual Ivy Gold/Medium Gold inside. Still useful for touching up the lower dash, matches some factory painted parts I have very well.

Might end up looking for an off the shelf color that's close, top coat it with some flat clear if I have to.

If anyone else has an Ivy Gold 68 interior ... next time you get a chance check the metal strip on the inside base of the rear window ... should be a 1" piece of metal showing between the back of the package tray and the window .... what color is that on your cars, mine was this darker green color.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just tried out that dash paint. It's not the darker green, it's semi-gloss or gloss lower dash paint. Name looks right, but it's got the usual Ivy Gold/Medium Gold inside. Still useful for touching up the lower dash, matches some factory painted parts I have very well.

Might end up looking for an off the shelf color that's close, top coat it with some flat clear if I have to.

If anyone else has an Ivy Gold 68 interior ... next time you get a chance check the metal strip on the inside base of the rear window ... should be a 1" piece of metal showing between the back of the package tray and the window .... what color is that on your cars, mine was this darker green color.
Well, that sucks. Did you contact them to see why they are mislabeling their paint?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Normally I probably would talk to them, but for a product this esoteric I'm pretty sure I would get absolutely nowhere. If we have a tough time tracking down the info I'm guessing they will be clueless.

They have some kind of mixup in their catalog ... that link above takes me to a paint that doesn't show up in their listing of 68 colors, but it's applications does list 68 only.

I just went down and added another couple of coats to my test piece to see if it darkens up, certainly doesn't seem 0 flat or even close.

If I could find some good pictures of the original paint I'd just mix up something close. I don't remember it being metallic either, kind of pointless on 0 deg paint.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After a few more coats ... it's definitely Ivy Gold, or Medium Gold Poly. Looks like about 70-80% gloss.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have any photos of top dash paint color on a 68 with Ivy Gold interior? I know it's hard to get a photo of. And not something that typically shoes up in interior photos. I'm having a hard time matching it from memory.

For those of you that repainted your whole dashboards did you just use the Medium Gold Poly for the lower dash on the whole thing? If I have to that's what I'll do and top it with some satin clear.

Only two places I know of that this darker green/gold was used, top of the dash and the metal strip between the bottom of the rear window and the package tray. It's closer in color to the padded dash than it is to the lower dash color.

In the meantime, I emailed NPD and let them know that the original paint I ordered was the wrong color, but correct label. Told them I'd still like some of the proper Olive Dark Gold but was afraid to order it thinking I might get the wrong paint again. Asked for any help they could give me obtaining the correct paint. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by dataway; 09-02-2021 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try Kolor Korrect…very pricey but…they were the best I found for my 64 with the kinda obscure Saddle interior.