Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 2008 Express Van Front Suspension

My extended van is used primarily for household hauling and occasional open car trailer use. Problem is the bounce/wallow of the front end. Like there are no shocks. I tried Gabriel and then Bilstein which improved but not to my liking. Trying to save the expense of changing springs. Looked at some Sumo Super Spring inserts and Sumo Super springs and Timbren. Any ideas best way to go?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How are the rear shocks? Could be effecting the front.

TOM
Old 08-28-2021, 12:14 AM
Senior Chief

KYB shocks have always seemed a little stiff to me, maybe you could try those?

How is the condition of the front end? Are the swaybar bushings and everything else in good condition?

Old 08-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 1 Express Van still in fleet service. The rest have aged out and are gone. It's a 2005 3500 series 12 passenger. The front end is pretty stiff on that one. Is your a 1500, 2500, or 3500? I looked at the Sumo inserts, and as a band aid spring jack, I like the concept. They look pretty easy to install too. No idea what they cost. I can tell you from experience that G van front springs are a real tough item to replace by yourself and can be dangerous. They springs have a huge amount of pre-load and energy in them when installed. I use a Lift, floor jack and a chain and padlock for extra safety. Very easy to lose a finger or worse when changing heavy captive springs like that. Screw type compressors that go through the spring are a complete waste IMO on this job. I would consider trying the inserts if this is an occasional use vehicle. My only concern might be a bit of a porpoise situation when the coils go into coil bind which they will with that thick insert in there. Good luck with the project.

projechttps://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gift.