Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 PM

Default 71/72 lemans vs GTO radiator/core support the same?

Hello all,

Is the radiator/core support the same for a 71/72 lemans as a 71/72 gto?
I’m not talking restoration correct, I’m talking purely from a mounting perspective. I was lucky enough to by a ‘72 gto front end, ( I have a ‘70 lemans sport) with everything but the core support. I have access to a few 71/72 lemans ones. With these work with the gto nose, or is that a specific support? If some holes need to be drilled, that’s not a problem, but if it’s completely different, I’ll have to try to source one from a gto. Thank you all.

I’m not trying to fake a gto, I just like the look.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

The top is different, so they will not interchange.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The upright in the '70 -72 Pontiac A-body endura v8 core supports is the same as those of V8 '70-72 LeMans (chrome front bumper) core supports. There are MANY different stamped core support tops which are spotwelded to that style upright. The '71 & 72 GTO / endura LeMans core support tops are no where near the same as the tops on chrome bumper LeMans.

Last, original '70-72 6 cyl Tempest/T-37/LeMans coresupports use a different core support upright that takes a small radiator & does not accept the big plastic fan shroud.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:03 PM

Thank you guys for your input.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a 71-72 Lemans chrome bumper core support when I put an endura front end on my 71 Lemans convertible years ago. As Roger said, the upright is the exact same as long as it is a v8 car. If you turn the core support upside down and look along the front top line of the upright and top plate which is spot welded on, you can see exactly where to cut the Lemans chrome bumper core support to make it work. If you cut the top plate along the front edge of the upright, it will be the right shape for an endura conversion. It has been nearly 15 years since I have done this but I believe that there might even be holes in the upright for the endura hood latch support. I think I just used those as a guide to drill through the top plate so I could bolt the hood latch support down. Obviously this won't be correct for a show car or anything but it can be made to work if you can't find a GTO/T41 Lemans core support like I couldn't. The opening for the Lemans hood latch and the bolt holes for the latch will still be visible but you could always patch those with a little welding/fabrication work.