Old 08-31-2021, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 bolts for chrome front bumper

Putting my 68 LeMans back together and was surprised to see the 8 front lower bumper bolts weren't the capped stainless ones I was expecting. The originals on mine may have been silver zinc or cad plated when new and they came out okay in Evaporust, but they really stand out as blah against my rechromed bumper. Were they supposed to be capped stainless like the rear bumper or plain or plated like I'm finding? I see in Ames catalog they're selling the capped ones and say you need 6 for a 68, which is wrong, there is 8.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When i did such, i had to find more stainless capped bumper bolts to make it right.
Same with rear because i broke the original chrome bolts upon dis-assy.
Some short length, some long-length.

I recall there may be two thread sizes: that could be the 69 Bird rear bumper using a smaller thread.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:46 PM
Senior Chief

I’d check AMK. Everything I get from there is spot on and above my expectations.

https://www.amkproducts.com/master-k...s&element=Body

Looks like G-7422? They list 24 parts in total including bolts/washers/nuts I’d assume 8 bolts. $30 minimum order but that’s the easiest website I’ve ever found to add a quick additional $10. Or additional $100 lol.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the responses guys. So you're saying they should have been the stainless capped ones from the factory, right?