Old 09-01-2021, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default Bumper guards

Have a question regarding rear rubber bumper guards. Have had a set for yrs but wondering what cars they came on. After a couple texts a discovery , They fit a friends 72 GTO .
He has the small cut out on the top side and a spot for a bolt below.
So were they actually available on a 70 through 72 GTO or just Lemans /grand Lemans etc. ? .
Another thing i noticed they have a made in Canada script .

Last edited by Torquewar; 09-01-2021 at 10:14 PM. Reason: HEY
Old 09-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Senior Chief

Bumper guards fit 71-72 GTO and Lemans. 70 GTO did not have the provision in the rear bumper for bumper guards.

1967 Firebird 400 convertible 4 speed #'s matching
2002 SOM Trans Am WS6 Convertible 6 speed bone stock
1970 GTO convertible auto #'s matching
Old 09-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That small cut out is the quick way to ID a 1970 only bumper. Its a big deal to the restorers of a 1970 car that want it correct.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Senior Chief

So my friends 72 has a 70 bumper ?thought GTO wouldn’t have had guards . Hes contemplating on does he like the look . And I want to sell them , need a comparable price.in the end.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I should have said seeing the cut out indicates a 71-72 bumper, the absence of the slots mean its a 70, if your friends bumper has the slots its a 71 or 72

Old 09-03-2021, 07:19 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for clarifying

Old 09-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The relief notches began appearing in mid June of 1970. The original '71 bumper on my previous 08C Pontiac built 71 Judge was manufactured 6/24/70.

It is possible that a quantity of late production 1970 Pontaic A-body's came from the factory with the notches, though rear bumper guards was not an option on '70 models. Several of us have sought out & bought just such dated cores.

NOS rear bumpers... over the years, the NOS "70-72" rear bumpers I've owned, or had in my hands, had the relief notches & were NOT date coded. If one is building anything close to a true showcar, ones wasting their hard earned funds on an NOS rear bumper (esp with todays rediculous asking prices). The solution is a correct date coded nice clean core bumper, then having it properly plated.