Old 09-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Even though the two GTO switches in the photos above aren't in the same exact place the both fall into that large hole in the inner door frame. the 70 plus power locks mimic the size and shape of the 70+ power window switches (which were redesigned in a more angular shape). Therefore the 70 electric lock switch is too small to fill the much taller 69 vacuum lock switch opening.
Yes I can see that it's going through the same door location on both doors in your photos. However, if you look at post number four in this thread, Ben M posted a picture of a '69 LeMans with the vacuum locks and in that picture it appears the switch is several inches closer to the front of the door.
Attached is a picture of the small opening that I ran my switch wires through, and my switch location seems to coincide with the switch location in his photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210908_201203666.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	572718  

Old 09-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The vacuum switches are not the same size as th electric switches. They look similar but are longer.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
The vacuum switches are not the same size as th electric switches. They look similar but are longer.
Yes I see what you mean.
So the electric reproduction 1970 switches will not look correct or properly fit the hole in the panel, as they are not the same size as the original vacuum switch. correct???

Old 09-08-2021, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That photo of the blue door panel is in the wrong place. I suspect it’s in the location of a smaller opening in the inner door structure that is for the crank knob for the vent window on a two door post model.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
That photo of the blue door panel is in the wrong place.
Maybe, but as SD Formula and you said, there are no perforations on the back of factory or reproduction door panels for power locks (power windows and remote mirror, yes). The car in question wasn't mine and was a Fremont car from years ago, so I don't know how 100% original it was, it was more a reference on the type of door switch it was supposed to be. I've seen some cars with way off door switch placement, I presume the guy punching them out that day was high or hungover.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Maybe, but as SD Formula and you said, there are no perforations on the back of factory or reproduction door panels for power locks (power windows and remote mirror, yes). The car in question wasn't mine and was a Fremont car from years ago, so I don't know how 100% original it was, it was more a reference on the type of door switch it was supposed to be. I've seen some cars with way off door switch placement, I presume the guy punching them out that day was high or hungover.
Good analysis!

Old 09-08-2021, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The routing depressions for the vacuum hoses preclude that location with the hose routing, bear in mind the harnesses had clips that needed to snap into perforations in the steel inner panel. If you tried to install the switch there the harness would have to be installed inside the inner frame right where the scissors move and with no harness retentio . I can’t imagine a factory assembly would allow that. But if the car has original panels and has power locks on the PHS I guess it could have been a mix up but more likely someone added the power locks and simply put them in the wrong place.

Changing the subject there was a guy in Michigan back in the 90’s who would fab somehow the 69 and older vacuum switches so you could install a 70+ Electric lock set up with correct looking 69 switches.

Another point to consider is the vacuum actuators from the big cars do not interchange between A bodies and full-size cars. Two door and 4 door Front and rear door actuators are also all different. That being said I’m sure any actuators could be modified to be made functional on an A body coupe.

The 69 doors have the dimples visible in the door below the latch where two small screws held the actuators. 70+ doors had three much larger dimples that held the electric actuators.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 09-08-2021, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If my memory serves me correctly the vacuum switch goes through the taller hole on the right side of the picture you posted. The 70 or 71 up switches will not work in a 69 door panel that has the factory cut hole. One of the pictures posted shows a set of 71 up switches. 70 lock switches are one year only and match the early window switches with the rounded corners. You can add the electric locks to a 68 or 69 by using all 70 parts and most people won’t pick up that the switches are incorrect. You would have to use a door panel that wasn’t cut for the vacuum switch though. The blue door panel position is correct,the larger hole that I mentioned is directly behind the switch,it’s needed for extra clearance for the switch as well as the vacuum line fitting.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The switch on the blue panel is not in the correct location. I currently own two 69 GTO’s with factory installed door locks and have owned another previously and parted out several other factory installed units over 30 years. The switches on the blue panel are way past the hole in the door structure. That location is around the smaller hole that would be used for the vent window crank handle on the post version of the door.

However I believe you may be correct about 1970 having a one year only electric lock switch that looks like the 69 vacuum version. I’m looking at a C&D article from 1970 of a 455 GTO and in one of the pictures the door lock switch does look like the 69 version and it is located in the same location as my two cars.

Btw, you can tell Wangers was gone when Pontiac sends a brand new 4 speed 455 GTO out to car magazines for testing without a Safe-T-Track rear axle! Resulting in a slower ET than a base engine 325 horse SS chevelle and a 350 cube cutlass.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 09-09-2021, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Attaches is a photo from a January 1970 Car and Driver Road Test article. The subject of the road test is 1970 GTO 455 hardtop, with remote outside rear view mirror, power windows and power door locks.
Although difficult to visualize from the angle of the camera, the photos seems to confirm the location of the power door lock switch being closer to the front of the door, rather than several inches rearward above the door handle and armrest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210909_165400872~3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	572749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210909_165400872~2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	572750  

Old 09-09-2021, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I misspoke about the blue panel being correct and apologise for that. I was trying to point out that the vacuum switches don’t share the same location as the electric switches.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
I misspoke about the blue panel being correct and apologise for that. I was trying to point out that the vacuum switches don’t share the same location as the electric switches.
I agree with you, that the 1969 vacuum power door lock switch was installed farther back on the door panel than the 1970 and later electric power door lock switch.
We can all speculate why The engineers chose change the location??
I can think of a couple of reasons.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't the inner door structure change in 1970 with the collision beam?

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express