Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default any tips on how to adjust my door left to right on my 72 bird

do i need to take off the hood and fender to do this

Old 09-20-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not sure what you mean by "left to right".. is that inwards & outwards or forward & backwards?

the door can be adjusted a pretty large amount by the hinges to the body & the hinges to the door. if you didnt drill a hole or mark them before removing then it will take some trial & error to get them located right.

you want to adjust the rear of door to quarter body line first so the fenders should be off to get at the hinges easier. then install/adjust the fender to the front of the door.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have moved the hinge from cowl you will have a little work to put them back in correct spot.

you will have to take a best guess to start. just try to center them in there adjustment circle.

Once door is on the adjustments can be made with fender on but you will need special door wrenches ( see pics)

Align the door to quarter and rocker . then align the fender to the door

This is one of the hardest things to do especially for a person without equipment and experience

that door is heavy as you know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2343.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	573454  

Old 09-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
not sure what you mean by "left to right".. is that inwards & outwards or forward & backwards?

the door can be adjusted a pretty large amount by the hinges to the body & the hinges to the door. if you didnt drill a hole or mark them before removing then it will take some trial & error to get them located right.

you want to adjust the rear of door to quarter body line first so the fenders should be off to get at the hinges easier. then install/adjust the fender to the front of the door.
i want to move the door back closer to the qtr panel jamb . i was hoping that i can do it without taking the fender off.

maybe those special tools may help . just need to find out were to buy them

Old 09-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
If you have moved the hinge from cowl you will have a little work to put them back in correct spot.

you will have to take a best guess to start. just try to center them in there adjustment circle.

Once door is on the adjustments can be made with fender on but you will need special door wrenches ( see pics)

Align the door to quarter and rocker . then align the fender to the door

This is one of the hardest things to do especially for a person without equipment and experience

that door is heavy as you know
were can i buy these tools

Old 09-22-2021, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there door hinge wrenches. most of mine are snap on . there expensive . but back in the day necessary in body shop life.

is there a body shop near you . you may be able to borrow one . person may want a deposit.

you may be able to get to bolts with door open. ez to nick paint that way .

A TIP loosen the bottom hinge . raise back of door . lock in place. then loosen top hinge allowing door to drop some . this step buy step will allow you to move the door back, or (forward buy reversing order)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274957029...6&toolid=10001

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ne...-info.1082618/

Last edited by dld; 09-22-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Be aware that trying to create small panel gaps like on modern cars can actually create problems of their own. The manual even calls the large gaps out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aus78Formula For This Useful Post: