Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Computer Help Please !

In just the last 2 days, my Acer Chromebook has begun to freeze tabs. Can only have 2 tabs open at the same time. Then after I minimize the 2nd tab I opened, it freezes. Cant use it, move it, or delete it, UNLESS I go back & delete my 1st tab. THEN, the 2nd tab will work.

For the past few years I'ts been a common practice for me to have a page full of tabs minimized at the same time. NEVER have had a single tab to freeze before the last couple of days.

Can somebody help me ?

Old 05-27-2021, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I noticed in the last month or so the Chrome browser on my computer is very laggy about opening more than two tabs. My guess is that it was a buggy Chrome update. They'll probably put out another update to fix it.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that is good to do on computers where you are using the internet often.

When was the last time you cleaned out your browser history?

Every site address and page you look at on-line most browsers "save" in case you need to go back to that same page again. Over time these "saved" addresses in the program can actually slow down your browser. Some people clear out their history at the end of each day, for security reasons. But you should do that, realistically about once per week or at least once a month or sooner if you see the pages loading slowly. That or the pages seem to stick or freeze.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...When was the last time you cleaned out your browser history?..."

As far as I know, I have NEVER done that. Don't even know how.

Hey, I'm an old guy who has learned just barely enuff to Google for info & post on forums.

All help would be appreciated !

Old 05-27-2021, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another reason to clear browsing history, is that, at least on my computer, sometimes an updated page will reload as the page before the update.

Frustrating!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have never cleared history, once you determine the method to use; do it overnight. It is going to take a loooooooooooooooooooong time!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
If you have never cleared history, once you determine the method to use; do it overnight. It is going to take a loooooooooooooooooooong time!

Jon.
OK.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...When was the last time you cleaned out your browser history?..."

As far as I know, I have NEVER done that. Don't even know how.

Hey, I'm an old guy who has learned just barely enuff to Google for info & post on forums.

All help would be appreciated !
One more Google search for you..."How do I delete the brower history for <insert browser name>" (i.e., Chrome, Firefox, etc).

If you're using Chrome, I agree that speed has become an issue lately and probably a fix to be issued.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 05-27-2021, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I Googled it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Looks like it will be REALLY easy to delete stuff I wanna keep.

Maybe I can just delete it a little at a time, & just do it everyday, when I don't have anything else to do ?

Old 05-27-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get an Apple, lol. You never get any of that crap.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Get an Apple, lol. You never get any of that crap.
No, a low grade Chromebook will do everything I need a computer to do.

No more than I know about computers, it would be totally senseless for me to buy anything that will do more than my CB3-532 Acer Chromebook. Can't remember exactly when I bought it. But, it was probably at least 3 years ago.

The only thing I occasionally need is a picture doctored a little. I get TJ to do that on her desktop Mac. But for my forum, FB, info Googling, pic storage, & online shopping use, this Acer has worked great. At my age, I'm not expecting to learn how to do much of anything else.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to be clear on this. You don't want to delete your saved "bookmarked" pages; just your history.

Believe me if you've never done that, it very well could be slowing down your computer at this point!

There are also places that can help you such as Geek squad, that or I am pretty sure that Best Buy has a computer service center located in each of their walk-in retail stores. Most of those places employ young people who do not remember a time that computers and iphones was something that everybody they knew of had one or both of in the house.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Believe me if you've never done that, it very well could be slowing down your computer at this point!..."

Yes, all I want to do is just delete SOME(most) of the sites I've gone to, ONE at a time. I want to look at each one, decide if I want to delete it, and if so do it manually.

I realize this will take a long time, since it took a long time to put 'em all on there.

But, I'm retired & have plenty of time. So, I can just do some every day. And, in a week or 2 I should have deleted enuff so that, IF that is what's causing the tabs to freeze, that particular problem should be eliminated.

But, so far, the online info seems to mostly just show how to automatically delete EVERYTHING, all at once. I want to do it, one item at a time, MANUALLY.

So, can anybody here just give me very SIMPLE instructions, (or a link to same), on how to do this, on my Acer CB3-532 Chromebook ?

Old 05-30-2021, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If Chrome...

1. Click on three vertical dots on right upper corner of browser window below the X.
2. Click on 'History'
3. Click on 'History' or Ctrl + H
4. Click on link to view and/or click in corresponding box
5. Click on 'Delete' button after all desired boxes are checked

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I just deleted the last month of my browsing history. Made no difference.

This problem only started a few days ago. So, that means that this tab freeze problem is not being caused by too much browsing history.

Therefore, I'll have to assume, until/unless I find out different, that it's something Chrome is doing or has done.

It makes it less convenient. But, as long as one tab stays active, & I can go to a 2nd tab to find info and/or copy a link, I can live with it. Once I get use to it, may not really be much of a problem, at all.

I had just gotten use to having a page full of tabs, so that I could check for Emails & check what was happening on lots of sites, quickly.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Clearing history will clear the URL's of the pages you visited. You should also clear 'cookies' and 'cached data'. May or may not help. Another operation that helped me is to shut the computer down; not just hibernation, or sleep mode. Data/programs from the hard drive or www gets loaded into the ram . If the ram usage is at max or near, old data must be overwritten to allow new data in, which slows things down. Shutting down (removes the voltage from the ram) clears the ram. Upon starting again the os has to reload which will take longer than a return from hibernation, however after that I usually find the computer operates satisfactorily.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 05-30-2021, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It has no problem with speed.

Everything works just as fast as it did. It does not seem sluggish, at all.

It's that the 2nd, & any additional tabs I open will freeze, as soon as they are minimized.

Each tab will work again, as soon as the tab that was opened just before it is closed.

So, I can open 10 tabs. Then if I close the 1st one, then the second one will work. Then if I close that 2nd one, the 3rd one will work, & so on.

Old 06-08-2021, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Acer CB3-532 still works exactly the same. 2nd tab will freeze, as soon as it's minimized.

But, I like the way this model has worked for the past few years. So, I ordered a restored one from Amazon. BUT, instead of sending me the CB3-532 that was advertised, they sent a model 315. And, it didn't even come with a charger. And, the charger for the older units I have won't work in the 315. The 315 has a USB charging port.

SO, I called Amazon & am sending it back for a refund.

Amazon SHOWS some NEW CB3-532 units for around $300. But, I'm gun shy now. Don't know what I'll get if I order one.

For now, I think I'll just continue to use what I have. I've sorta got use to the tab freezing deal. If I need another tab, I just open another one and pull it to the bottom of the page. Just let 'em pile up during my session, then delete one at a time, beginning at the top of the page.

Might go ahead & pull the trigger on a new CB3-532, when I sell another string trimmer.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I've got FB problems , again.

Posted some ads on FB Marketplace. Must have done something wrong, so they banned me from Marketplace, including all the area FB sites that are connected to FB Marketplace, where I had ads running.

So, I pulled out my older Chromebook & put some ads on some of the same area FB sites, but NOT on the main FB Marketplace. This worked just fine for a few days. Was able to sell a chainsaw & my sisters old minivan.

But, then I posted an ad for the old Pontiac wagon I have. It stayed up a couple of days. But NOW, I'm not only banned from the Marketplace sites, but I can't go to ANY FB page, including my own.

Other than buying stuff, FB is what I use most. So, I decided to buy another Chromebook. This time I'm going with a new Acer 315, which will have a charger that used a USB-C port for charging the batt.

Also gonna try to open a new FB page, under a different name, with a different address, etc. Also gonna try to get a couple of new Email providers, so that maybe FB Marketplace won't recognize & block me with this unit too.

Have tried AOL, GMX, & maybe one other today. A couple won't even let me choose a name for my account. No matter what name I use, I get the same error message. So, are there free Email providers that won't work with a Chromebook ?

Also, one of the new providers did OK my account name, but it can only be confirmed by posting a code, which they will only send to a cell phone. Well, we have a little flip phone. Turned it on, but the signal here is not strong enuff to receive the code from the Email provider.

So, any good ideas of other free Email providers that might send the code to another Email address, rather than a cell phone, AND will also work with a Chromebook ???

Still almost a total computer dummy.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

Acer 315 15.6" Touchscreen Chromebook is a good inexpensive (about $200 refurb) device. Android tab with a keyboard is under $100.

Don't think they charge for a g-mail account (Chromebooks are very cranky when used without a google account). Thing a phone number through google voice is still free. I use a lot of forwarding.

It is easy to create a new on-line identity but best to know why you were banned before or it will just happen again.

Closed Thread