Old 07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default help with 02 GP

I have to replace the weatherstrip that runs on the top of the door. Seems I need to take the drivers door panel off (2-door) to get to the last screw that is hidden at the front inside of where the mirror mounts. Where do I start to take the panel off, where are the hidden bolts/screws? I tried with not much force to pry out the door handle surround with no success. Anyone have to dig in there. I also had the front valve cover recall done (oil leak on exhaust could cause fire on 3.8 w/supercharger. Now the engine service light is on codes comes back as lean condition, vacuum leak, or O2 sensor. Came on the next day so I'm pretty sure they screwed something up during that recall repair. Anyone else get the recall?? Thanks Dave K.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Senior Chief

If you look up under where you grab the door panel to close the door you will see two plugs. use a screw driver to pop out the plugs and there is a torx head screw. take out the screws and start pulling out the door panel away from door. There are push type clips that hold the panel to door. I dont ever remember that recall. I do remember that the supercharger gasket were prone to being sucked in. It happened on my Bonneville. Spray some water around the base of the supercharger on the snout end and if its bad you'll hear it.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, I just bought theose same waeatherstrips and asked a body guy about it, he said exactlyy what your trying to do, remove the door panel completely to replace it. Was going to attempt it myself bu the Mrs dented it , so I will have the bodyshop do it for me.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Thanks Judge, I had it all ready to be removed, and the last screw was not exposed. My recall is done, needed the injectors cleaned after as the engine service light was on. Weatherstrip this weekend. Thanks for the responses........Dave K.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

The recall was for changing the front rocker cover gasket and replacing the spark plug wire retainer for the front cylinders (1,3,5). Replacing the gasket reduces the chance of oil leaking down from the front rocker cover and onto the front exhaust manifold. If the oil were to ignite it can eventually start melting the spark plug retainer and could eventually spread. So the recall has the dealer install a new rocker cover gasket and replace the one piece plug wire retainer with a different type. I believe only the 1997 to 2003 model Grand Prix and Buick Regal Grand Sports are involved, but only with the supercharged 3800 engine (RPO L67).