THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Looking for "GTO Mike" from Kuwait

In the mid 1980s, when I was still an obnoxious teenager, I met a guy in El Paso, Texas. His name is actually Abdullah, but he went by Mike or GTO Mike. He was from Kuwait and was attending college in El Paso. During the time I knew him, he had four GTOs, a Trans am, and a convertible Corvette with a supercharger. He was a kind and generous guy. He spent a lot of time helping me with my 1967 LeMans and essentially gave my friend a 1972 GTO. I eventually finished high school and moved away to college. I lost contact with Mike. I was later told that he had been the youngest son in his family. However, when his father had another younger son, Mike was then obligated to go home and serve his mandatory time in the Kuwait army. Several years later, I was told he lived in Turkey. He would be in his late 50s now I believe. I suspect he is probably still a Pontiac enthusiast. I would love to contact him and see how life has been for him these past decades. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks for your time.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:28 PM

Here is a bump and another interesting memory of "Mike." He was happily westernized and enjoyed building engines in his living room while watching the syndicated reruns of the television series "Dallas." Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Old 04-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like me but not the guy you are looking for

Old 04-29-2020, 04:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

A LONG TIME back on this board, I seem to recall a story about a guy in the Middle East who was having trouble getting a replacement engine for his GTO. I think???

The economies of buying a good engine and having it shipped from the US were defeating him. I think he was looking for assistance with it.

I recall he had it out and all over his lounge room floor. Tried to search for this thread but haven't been able to locate it yet. Same guy???? Who knows??

Old 04-29-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
A LONG TIME back on this board, I seem to recall a story about a guy in the Middle East who was having trouble getting a replacement engine for his GTO. I think???

The economies of buying a good engine and having it shipped from the US were defeating him. I think he was looking for assistance with it.

I recall he had it out and all over his lounge room floor. Tried to search for this thread but haven't been able to locate it yet. Same guy???? Who knows??
That could have been him. When I knew him, money was no issue, but that was before Kuwait was invaded. I think they have been recovering financially ever since then. Thanks for the clue. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
In the mid 1980s, when I was still an obnoxious teenager, I met a guy in El Paso, Texas. His name is actually Abdullah, but he went by Mike or GTO Mike. He was from Kuwait and was attending college in El Paso. During the time I knew him, he had four GTOs, a Trans am, and a convertible Corvette with a supercharger. He was a kind and generous guy. He spent a lot of time helping me with my 1967 LeMans and essentially gave my friend a 1972 GTO. I eventually finished high school and moved away to college. I lost contact with Mike. I was later told that he had been the youngest son in his family. However, when his father had another younger son, Mike was then obligated to go home and serve his mandatory time in the Kuwait army. Several years later, I was told he lived in Turkey. He would be in his late 50s now I believe. I suspect he is probably still a Pontiac enthusiast. I would love to contact him and see how life has been for him these past decades. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks for your time.
To keep this thread current and add another memory about "Mike." I recall one time we put some anti-hop bars on the rear of his 1969 GTO. We then went to the nearest remote location to try them out. Broke them on the first run. Doh! You out there, Mike?