Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 05-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Default PUI vs Legendary

Just an FYI on interior material type between these two brands for those like me who are shopping.

The Legendary sales guy told me one of the reasons they're more expensive than PUI is they use thicker vinyl. So I ordered a sample from both companies and measured exactly the same thickness using a dial caliper (about .039"). Not sure if PUI has upgraded material from the past or the Legendary guy was intentionally fibbing. Also, the color and grain was too close to tell the difference, at least on the small sample they sent (about 1" sq for Legendary and 4"x4" for PUI). The backing seemed just slightly different so it's not the same exact material. But on the surface that shows it's hard to tell any difference.

Of course this doesn't speak to other qualities of the material (like durability) or quality of the final sewn/assembled pieces. But for black madrid grain vinyl itself, you can't tell the difference.

After reading the overwhelming support for Legendary on this and other forums, and after having a negative experience with glue failing on my PUI sail panels for this car, I still went ahead and ordered door panels, seat covers, etc from Legendary. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The door panels in my 69 Judge sucked.The Mylar peeled off.Bought them from Ames,called Legendary and they said I would have to send them back to Ames and Ames would send to them and back to Ames and them back to me.I offered to fax them a copy of my Ames but still no help.Last product I bought from them.FWIW,Tom

Old 05-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My only complaint about Legendary was the long wait time to get my front and rear seat covers. Other than that, the fit, vinyl quality and stitching was acceptable.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM

They just quoted me 6 1/2 weeks as of today when I placed the order. Hope they stick to that.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've gotten all of the samples recently, to include PUI, Legendary, and SMS. Quality on all were OK, but the colour of the PUI wasn't the same Metallic Red as the original material. It seemed brighter, and leaning to a bronze-y kind of shade.
The SMS seemed to be the best quality and colour. But I've heard that their production times are glacially slow.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SMS door panels can take a long time,as far as I know they just sell seat material not finished covers.You get the material and take it too your local shop.I have used SMS on all my 61-63 cars and by far the best quality IMO.Tom

Old 05-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve had friends ripped off from SMS. They never could get the material to the upholstery shop on time and didn’t have a time they could make it right. I gave up on they.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are really frustrating and they lie.Big car guys that do have GPs are kind of stuck.When you have them by the balls their hearts,minds and wallet will follow.tom

Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed one of the biggest differences in the Legendary seat covers and PUI is that the pressed seams in the seats are more defined and hold better than PUI. The PUI seams are known to 'let go'. The difference is noticeable between the two, unless PUI had made big changes recently.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
They are really frustrating and they lie.Big car guys that do have GPs are kind of stuck.When you have them by the balls their hearts,minds and wallet will follow.tom
They're my only other choice as well. Legendary doesn't make seat covers for the Tempest Custom, which is also a bench. Also, I've got a seat from a '68 in there. I like the idea of getting yardage. I wonder if they send a shop drawing before they press those lines and pleats in.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never had a issue with them doing the logos in the proper place

Old 05-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no complaints about the legendary covers for my 67 GTO. Look really great.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I can say is that my PUI seat covers (1970 Firebird; standard; black) are holding up well;
But the welting is obviously cheaper than OE, as it almost appears to be lengthening;
it's no longer straight as sewn into the covers - rather it's bunching up so that it is zig-zaging... if that makes sense.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used both in the past on Chevrolet’s of different makes and haven’t found a difference worth losing sleep over. I am pissed though because I ordered my seat covers from Ames a while back because I was told Tempest Custom seat sets for 64 were “running out” I got the covers and they are correct Tempest Custom seat covers but they are not what’s pictured in the catalog. The picture in the catalog is for a plain Tempest which I actually like better. Called back and was told regular Tempest seat covers were unavailable. Then they turned up in one of the major catalogs I can’t remember which one a few months later. The seat covers in my car were not original so I had nothing to compare it too. Still like the solid vinyl with the arrowhead logo embossed over the vinyl with the cloth inserts

Old 05-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My friend owns a trim shop, sees all the covers, his reaction was that PUI is a good product for the typical "father and son" light restoration. Cost is fairly reasonable, looks a lot better than the roached out crap that it replaces. To their credit, they offer a few features that make life easier for the installer... look up strato bucket recover on google.

SMS did my 2+2 door panels and rear armrests/panels. They are dead on. As they should be for the price. Only issue will be adding the trim nails and mustering the courage to zip the screws into the lower panel...feels so Chrysler-ish for a Fisher Body product.

Legendary does a great job on their stuff - sadly, they see no future in B-Body even though they kill it in A-Body and F-body. Their GTO door panels look like the real thing. Wish we could convince them to take on big car.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm having SMS do me a complete set of door panels for my '67 Bonneville Brougham. So far it's been a year and 3 months. They say there close to being done? Feel the price was fair for a complete set. They will do my seat covers if I send them my originals.

1967 Bonneville Brougham 2 dr. hardtop. 1969 AMC Rebel SST wagon-sold
Old 05-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My Camel Tan std. assembled door panels from Legendary and color match is spot on. Quality is excellent however I struggled for hours just this weekend trying to line up the clip fasteners to go into the holes on the door. The slots on the back of panel must be off just enough to make the whole simple installation process maddening and this was 1 door, I still need to do the other one.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:46 PM

About 8 years ago I ordered Vinyl for a Bonneville interior, and door panels from Harry Samuel. Also a boot for a vert. It all came looking fine. I sent my dash to Just Dashes and mentioned where I got the door panels from. They asked me how did I like them? Because they did them. So I guess that's another choice for panels.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,I have found the best way is to order the material with the correct trim like arrowhead etc and have a local shop sew them.They seem to be able to send material way quicker than anything else they do.Tom

Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did the interior of my 67 Firebird; seats covers and door panels, with PUI products. The seats were done in 2012 and the door panels installed last year. No complaints as they are holding up well and all look great.