Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Which turbo/turbo's?

Been reading the links provided on this forum and others and just started learning how to size the turbo's I'm wanting. But as the calculations go they seem pretty generic when you start throwing in some of the engine's varibles. At least with my limited knowledge with boost, I'm not sure how to use the information I have to get close. Since I feel like my heads are the bottleneck I'm wondering if I need to "buy bigger" to get the HP I'm wanting. I'll post my combo and the turbo's I picked from my calculations. Looking to find 1000-1300HP but keep the boost within the limits of the headgaskets. Sound reasonable?

Anyone have a suggestion on how much boost we can apply without lifting the heads?

515CI-IA2- (On its way, thanks Derek)
Standard Edelbrock heads, light port job 1.65HS rockers-Being sent out to have chamber cut to 88cc's
8.4-1CR
Ported Victor intake to match heads
forged crank
Aluminum BME rods 6.8- May have to change to 6.7, I think I would benfit from the extra meat in the pistons with a shorter rod.
FAST F.I. Dominator TB
Bar and plate intercooler Air-Air I hope this is ok and I wont need a Air-water IC just yet
4L80E- Not yet built- not sure of converter just yet.
Cant remember cam spec's I can offer them later when I find the card.
Car weighs 3540 with me in it- I'm a little porky----
9" ladder bar - stock front end with rack and pinion

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/tseries_turbochargers

I was thinking about the HP72 with keeping the engine RPM below 7000. I didnt save the link to the compressor map. But I'm hoping these will overcome my cheap cylinder heads. The only thing I havent bought is a rocker shaft system. With this much boost is it given I should have one? Lift on the cam was somewhere in the .580 lift w1.5's. I'm sure it will need to be bigger but I starting with it since I have it already.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my opinion the 72 woulld not be the optimal size, it is to small. You would need at least an 88 for that size motor.

Cam specs would help. Do you have any idea of headflow?

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was told the heads flowed around 300cfm, I didnt get any spec's on paper when I bought them. They have had some epoxy work done on the floor but other than that I'm not sure. The valves will be replaced as well, I didnt measure what the seats were before I packaged them up. I havent had the conversation just yet on what size valve and seat to use.

I'll find the card later but here is what I found in one of my emails.
574 intake .570 exhaust
duration 245 on the intake 236 exhaust
114 lobe seperation

I didnt see it sized as a 88 under a T-series. I should call and at leastget the process started with turbonetics. Maybe they will suggest a different frame than a Tseries. I was also looking at the GT-K 850. It has the same HP72 compressor wheel.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
In my opinion the 72 woulld not be the optimal size, it is to small. You would need at least an 88 for that size motor.

Cam specs would help. Do you have any idea of headflow?
Went back to the site and found this link. Not sure how I missed it this weekend. Looks like I need a bigger turbo than I thought if I use only one turbo. But if I use twins the HP72 should get me there unless I'm missing something? Thoughts...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/...0Matrix%20.pdf

Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They would make a good pair of turbos, but definitely not a single.
Why go with Turbonetics? They make a great turbo, but they are waaay overpriced.
Send Jeff, aka Turbo69bird a PM. He specs and sells turbos for us Pontiac guys. His price will be almost half of Turbonetics.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Or PM Travis Q here on PY, he is the Turbo and EFI mastermind behind Rodney Butlers Pro Mod. And Travis can supply you with anything you need.

It's addicting, I can't for my project to move forward.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
They would make a good pair of turbos, but definitely not a single.
Why go with Turbonetics? They make a great turbo, but they are waaay overpriced.
Send Jeff, aka Turbo69bird a PM. He specs and sells turbos for us Pontiac guys. His price will be almost half of Turbonetics.
I guess the only reason I selected them was the wa they presented the information and how well known they are. I dont have any past expierence to base my decisions on so I selected a name brand I was familar with. I'll PM him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Or PM Travis Q here on PY, he is the Turbo and EFI mastermind behind Rodney Butlers Pro Mod. And Travis can supply you with anything you need.

It's addicting, I can't for my project to move forward.
That was my other question, who is a dealer that's associated with the PY site. I'll try both. Thanks

Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Boost Engineer

I deal a lot with the Turbonetics guys. Know the original owners of the company, Bob Keller and George Spears. Keller was Turbonetics (Turbos) owner and Spears was Spearco (Inter-coolers) owner. They later merged resources.

A couple of years they were purchased by Edgewater Capitol Partners, a private equity investment firm. Because the Edgewater people are trying to make money for their investors vs be "a pal to the racers", the price of the parts is higher than say a person like Jeff. On the other side of the coin, Turbonetics/ Spearco has a lot of Boosting resources, that the average Turbo race shop does not have, to develop racing turbos.

Like I said, I know all of the people but I would say go to Travis or Jeff as they are trying to make a living selling/ racing turbos. I just design turbo systems.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.