Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Default ROOTS BLOWER & NITROUS

Hi guys
Thinking of spraying a 100 shot on my roots blower motor.
Is there a reason not to use 2 plates as in a tunnel ram kit?
cheers

Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Suspended

not at all..great way to use it..run it a little fatter on a blower..it adds "air" and acts as an intercooler..the roots is far better suited to this app than a turbo or procharger car..use at moderate loads..if ya wanna get crazy, you must use down nozzles..its a shame they wont allow dual powers adders in the fun classes..

that first 100hp will do wonders for you..maybe making near 200 hp..that intercooler value cannot be determined til you run it, but it will be substantial..

now add some nitro, and really go wild..

Old 12-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Suspended

just a thought..are you running sideways carbs, or inline..inline with plates is better..ya want the nitrous sprayed to the outsides of blower, not front to back..

Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 PM

carbs are sideways pair of 750 mighty demons, still possible?
thanks for reply

Old 12-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Default Roots!

A Roots Blower will put out all the power you can handle...........I would not worry about the Sissy Gas, unless you have a tooth to pull.

GTO George

Old 12-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Yeah George i know what your saying, car runs great with blower but i have a complete nitrous kit sitting doing nothing got to thinking hmm another plate, some plumbing and here we go.
Saying that much prefer to wind the boost up some and see what happens.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use to run it on my gas motor. Rather than plates I just tapped an annular fogger nozzle in the back of the carb adapter plate to spray out under the carbs - the rotors took over from there. You an run a .072 jet through a fogger nozzle and they're less than $50. I fed the fuel solenoid off the secondary bowl of the rear carb - sidesaddle mount and Dom bowls are tapped both ways. Easy, simple installation - no extra fuel lines, regs, etc. Worked great for years for an extra 10mph.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:26 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment View Post
... I fed the fuel solenoid off the secondary bowl of the rear carb...
You just lost me...
Fuel in bowl isn't under pressure, so you must have had a pump before/or/after the solenoid?

BRYN-THOMAS- if you've already got a Roots-blown engine, why piddle around with a 100-shot of nitrous?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Suspended

wow, i am with torment..the little shot of nitrous makes a huge difference..10mph is a bunch, and torments deal was not optimized..remember the intercooler effect..

you can run the plates sideways, just keep the power down..lengthwise works better as it is inline with the roots rotors..we usually run spray bars down the middle..

Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks for comments,
Jack car is street driven pump gas motor making around 5lbs boost at 6200rpm
best so far of 10.68 126mph, so was thinking of spraying around a 100 shot and leaving everything else as is. bought the kit a couple of years ago when i had a diffrent plan in mind, not going to get much selling it on so thought i might as well put it to use.
Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

This is Mike Wiesgerbers car. He is known for his big wheelies. Supposedly he uses the nitrous to control the wheelies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwaEU21ckd0

Old 12-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

N20 and blowers complilment each other tremendously! I do not think NHRA allows it. On the street on in a boat where there are no rules, the power increase is probably beyond what you may want.
You can make huge power numbers and probably could not use it all at the launch unless you were using a Crowerglide top fuel type clutch to control wheelspin. Otherwise, you would simply blow off the tires.
Make sure the bottom end is very strong and oil system is up to stuff too. Good, thick, heavy pistons with ring lands spaced accordingly, big pins- I'd use 1.094"s, at least a forged crank in not a billet.
I would suggest an o-ringed block with receiver grooves in the heads would re required.

Both of my Pontiac boats are blown and I may play with N2O with them if I feel I need more. Also, may play with it when my blown '65 Tempest is finished.
Crazy horsepower gains possible If the bottom end is strong enough to hold it.
Hosting-
Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Steve

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 12-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Suspended

yep, what he said..and ya dont need a lot to make silly power..try the blower with plates high and nozzles down low..just make sure the fuel pressure is higher than manifold pressure..

Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Suspended

any roots run hard should have a restraint system..

Old 12-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack - Dominator bowls are windowed both ways to allow versatility when feeding the needle & seat. I simply unplugged the side I wasn't feeding into. Pressure is already regulated to the needle - no extra lines, clutter.

I ran this setup on a stock block 8.5:1 462ci with 8-71 at 23%OD, 110 turbo blue from the pump. Cometics will do the job for cylinder sealing. After 4-5yrs I did eventually crack the crank and block. That happened because I overheated it 3 times in Iowa in September but had some more races I wanted to attend. The rings were gone - it would lift the heads and spray water on the window all the way down the track. After a half dozen passes like that when I tore it down that winter it was broke - go figure...

Brynn - if you run two plates keep in mind 100hp under each will be a pretty big kick in the butt. Roughly you'll get these increases with corresponding nitrous jet:

.035 = 3mph
.055 = 5mph
.072 = 9mph

If you add them (2 shots), they'll be cumulative until you hit a plug - exhaust, cam, etc. If I were setting up your two plates I'd put .055N/.061F at 5-6psi under both and lock out total to 25deg - don't forget the Cometics and some good gas.

Nothing wrong with using the stuff you already own. Turning up the OD% on an 8-71 gas street blower will only get you so far anyhow - and you may hurt parts sooner than you would with a sniff of nitrous.

Roots guys that don't like nitrous are no different than turbo guys that don't like roots, etc, etc. How's a turbo spool with a 300 shot in front of it? And would you even care? I personally will run whatever I can afford

Old 12-26-2009, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I love 'em all!

I know it's slightly different, but most of the 03/04 Cobra racers will use a 75 - 125 shot as an added intercooler and power adder.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys will think on.
Trouble with having a few days off work is too much time to think ha ha.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Suspended

on the deal about a roots setup being far better suited than a turbo or procharger setup. i don't quite agree.
i ask who has added a 150 shot to there boosted engine and how much did it picked up?

back in late 90's i was runnig 12# of boost with a small procharger(basicaly maxed out) and added a 150 shot and it went from 6.45 to a 6.00 in the 1.8 mile. tried more but had to pull more timing and it basicaly made the same power. this was a blowthru setup.