Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 AM

Red face Looking for 1st Project Car 68-69 Tempest, Lemans, GTO

Hey Pontiac Fans,
I'm looking to start building my first muscle car and I need some help. I know I want a 68 or 69 Tempest, Lemans or GTO. I don't have a ton of cash to start off with so i'm looking somewhere in the $2,500 range. I personally don't have a ton of mechanical experience but that's why I'm starting this, my two brothers (a mechanic and a body guy) are going to help me out in getting this bad boy on the road and hopefully I learn a few things along the way.
  • Solid body is a major plus (my body guy is picky)
  • No motor/trans isn't a big deal (have a running 350 and AT we can put in it until I build a proper motor)
  • Matching numbers isn't critical (especially if it's a lower end engine combo, this thing will have big power when it's done one way or another)
  • Would prefer a car that's mostly complete (i don't want to spend 2 years hunting down a ton of small brackets/knobs/ect)
  • Auto/Manual isn't a big deal i'm good with either
  • Power Steering, Power Brakes, and AC a plus, but again not vital
  • Bucket Seats and Floor Shifter another big plus

I'd be more than happy with a nice, complete lemans or tempest, but it will probably eventually get the GTO nose w/hideaways, GTO hood and possibly spoiler because they looks so good!

I was pretty lucky last summer as my dad needed somewhere to store his 66 Tempest convertible and i just happened to have an open garage spot. I don't think i'll be lucky enough to have someone else's nice pontiac to drive this summer, so it's time to start my own.

I'd love to say I'd consider anything at this point, but my body guy brother is pretty picky on what he'll work on with me, so I can't get away with anything that has a ton of rust. (something that just needs fenders/patches and partial quarters will probably fly)

If you know of any solid cars that may fit the bill, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Mark Nelson

Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 AM

Default 1969 pontiac Tempest/Lemans

Hello, I have a decent 1969 pontiac lemans/tempest post coupe. It will is a complete rolling chassis. The Good: Very solid floors which I was amazed! Complete Auto floor shift bucket seat car! The body is complete but it does need help on the lower fender patch's/Nice front chrome bumper and valance/decent trunk lid/workable doors/rear quaters had some poor work done on drivers side and needs attention on passenger side. All in all will make a good project car that you don't have to worry about keeping it all # matching! Not asking a ton either! $1500 I will have pictures by the weekend! Car is located in Connecticut,06037 I need to clear out the yard!! thanks Tom

Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GTO, Washington State

Here is a west coast GTO that falls into your catagory.
It does have some minor rust, but the price is right for a real GTO
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ram-A...QQcmdZViewItem

It's about 1500 miles from you, but if you have it checked out, and the price doesn't shoot up........ Even though the seller has low feedback, it looks as though he is trying to be on the level.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark,

We have talked in the past and we met over at Car Craft. I am going to be selling three 69 GTOs this spring. Give me a call if you want to see any of my stuff. 763-458-2865.

Thanks, John

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 02-21-2009, 01:29 AM

Default for sale!

WOW any of those three cars for sale under $2500???????

Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoraz69 View Post
WOW any of those three cars for sale under $2500???????
Possibly. These cars all need alot of work but they are solid western bodies with clear titles.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 02-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Default 1969 Pontiac Lemans/Tempest

Here are some pictures of the rolling shell up for sale. Bucket seat floor shift automatic.$1500 or B/O
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02071.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	158886   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02072.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	158887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02073.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	158888  

Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 AM

THANK YOU for all the replies! I've got a few local leads I'm going to pursue in the next couple of weeks. If the search continues after that I'll make sure to post again here!

gtoraz69 do you have any pics of the interior of that car?

Thanks again,
Mark

Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Default 69 interior pic's

Yes, I will get them up for you later today. Thanks,Tom

Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses guys! Fortunately my search is over, I made a purchase yesterday!

I picked up a nice, original rust free 69 Lemans off of craigslist here in Minnesota. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get it washed. (previous owner had some "life troubles" and was driving it for the last 3 weeks in the snow )