Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks...It works very well...Still ironing out a few details.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Busy winter so far…Here are some updates.

Tired of boring audio, I decided to give my tunes an upgrade. I currently have the Retrosound Model 2 radio…and while it is OK in the audio department, it is not anything to write home about. They made this thing with detent style rotary controls and they are a little noisy and quirky sometimes. However, it works, fills the hole in the dash and looks OK. Just wish someone made a better product for these older cars without having to carve up a nice dash.

Being a convertible, it came with a single 4 X 10 center mounted dash speaker. I replaced that several years back with a pair of Rockford Fosgate 2-way 4.5” drivers and they sound pretty good. Being small drivers, the bass is lacking and have limited power handling capability. I recently decided to can the kick panel vents and fit the openings with new speakers. I bought a pair of JL Audio C2-650 component speakers from Amazon and set out on coming up with a way to mount them.

I made a bracket for the bass drivers out of a piece of 16 gauge steel and bought a boom mat speaker pod to protect the back side from getting wet.

Given that the factory kick panel covers are geared to vents and not speakers, I decided to modify the kick panels to make them functional and attractive.

Using a piece of MDF, I made a template for cutting out the vent louvers in the kick panels. The template will ensure both sides are identical.

I measured and clamped the template to the plastic and used my router with a guide bushing to cut the holes in the kick panels. Given that the kick panels are not very thick, I wanted to stiffen them up to accept a speaker grill. I bought a piece of ¼” ABS from Grainger and used the template to cut out the hole in the ABS to match the kick panel. Using 3M super trim adhesive, I roughened up both pieces of plastic and bonded the ABS to the back side of the kick panel.

With the 2-way system, I needed a spot to put the tweeter where there is at least ¾” of clearance on the back side. The 66 GTO has a very convenient indentation in the sheet metal structure kick panel that made the placement of the tweeter a no brainer.

With the cut outs completed in the kick panels for the tweeters and the woofers, I needed to dress them up so it looked somewhat professional. My go to guy for interior work is United Auto Trim in Fond du Lac WI. I have been going to them for years and had them re-cover the panels in madrid black vinyl. They did an awesome job…

I made a set of grills out of ¼” MDF and covered them in cloth that I got from United. I cut the grills to be a press fit and secured them to the kick panels from the back with 20 gauge steel brackets and some small screws

Turned out very nice IMO and sounds pretty good with a 60/40 bias - kick panels/dash speakers. The JL tweeters are a bit harsh, but better than what I had before. Mounted the cross over under the dash.

Here is the final product installed.

Bought an older Rockford Fosgate 45W X 4 amp from a friend of mine for $25. Threw it in the trunk next to the top pump and it sounds pretty decent with the added power.

The parking brake pedal was too close to the new speaker panel so I decided to modify to give it some more room. A few cuts, bend here, bend there and some welding and viola…not too bad.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
Old 04-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Follow me in these other posts.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...TO-Convertible

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...nvertible.html

Old 07-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can not say enough about the people at Nickey. Stefano, Beth and Matt were awesome to work with and made you feel at home the minute you stepped into their shop. They got at it right away and Matt was very persistent to get it right. Unfortunately, that is more than I can say for ASSC. I was told 2 weeks at the end of April and after repeated attempts to contact them over several weeks, I took the advice from Calvin @ Parks Auto in Deforest and took it to Nickey. Nickey was on the ball from the moment I sent an e-mail to Stefano asking about getting the car in.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9z-uljsgJk

Old 07-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally got the GTO professionally tuned a few weeks back. Took it down to Nickey in Chicago and had Matt Peckham do his magic. Not only did he get the drivability ironed out, but managed to put down 460 HP and 443 FT-LB at the tires on pump fuel. My guess that equates to around 550 HP and 525 FT-LB at the crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old66tiger View Post
I can not say enough about the people at Nickey. Stefano, Beth and Matt were awesome to work with and made you feel at home the minute you stepped into their shop. They got at it right away and Matt was very persistent to get it right. Unfortunately, that is more than I can say for ASSC. I was told 2 weeks at the end of April and after repeated attempts to contact them over several weeks, I took the advice from Calvin @ Parks Auto in Deforest and took it to Nickey. Nickey was on the ball from the moment I sent an e-mail to Stefano asking about getting the car in.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well...it's been just over a year since the old goat had a heart transplant...after about 4000 miles, and a good tune, I can tell you that I love it and would never think of going back to the old poncho plant. Better on fuel, more drivable and just a blast to drive. When someone asks if it goes pretty well...my response is, "it flat-ass flies". Is an LS swap for everyone? Nope...but it was the right thing for me to do. Amazing how many people flock to the car at shows and cruise in events to ask questions about it. Best part about going to to a show or a cruise in is when I get to hit the road for the trip home. I fire it up, let it idle for a few minutes, throw it I to gear and head on down the road. I always try to spin it to at least 3000 rpms on the road out of there (within the speed limit of course)...Let me tell you...the sound this thing makes when flying past 3,000 rpms on its way to 6,500 is truly intoxicating. The old 461 sounded good...But this 6.2L just sounds like a freaking race car when spinning up.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great update! Best thing is- you are enjoying the car... Good work throughout

Old 09-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent job. I get the same reaction with the T/A.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice numbers.

I see you went with the 525hp LS3. What was the descition making factor for going with that motor vs the 480 or 430 hp version?

Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A ride in a buddies car that had the 525 HP version. He had the 480 HP version and liked the ASA cam better. Nickey in Chicago makes some packages with cams that are turning out some impressive numbers with exceptional drivability.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me ask in a different way. For all day driving, road trips, power tour and such is the 525hp motor too much?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The LS is great for drivability in most performance cars and the ASA cam still drives decent even though it is a bigger cam than the stock cam. However...the ASA cam has an attitude. It sounds tough and it pulls hard. The engine likes to run 2K rpm and above which is fine with me. Less than 2K and there is slight surging due to the tight lobe separation numbers. The stock 430 HP engine is more like 450 HP and definitely has better street manners especially at idle and at low rpm cruising. Pulls more vacuum abs idles smoother. Probably why GM used that cam design...targeted for every kind of driver that is behind the wheel. With every jump in cam duration...the idle becomes more aggressive as does the performance. If you are looking for dead flat idle and big vacuum numbers for brakes, etc...the stock engine might be more in line with your goals. Cam swaps on LS engines are relatively easy...but you need to tune with every jump in cam.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my TA 430 horses is more than adequate.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to make a run to FDL yesterday to have my buddy Al re-paint a few things on the GTO...stopped by the folks for a short visit on the way out of town and then ran home to get some things done.

Left home with a full tank and filled up and checked mileage when I got home. I almost fell over...Managed 29.2 MPG out of a 525+ HP engine in an old wreck of a car...with this new revelation, this is the most efficienct vehicle I have in the stable. Granted...I drove the car like a little old grandpa, but it shows the potential of This newer drive train.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old66tiger View Post
Had to make a run to FDL yesterday to have my buddy Al re-paint a few things on the GTO...stopped by the folks for a short visit on the way out of town and then ran home to get some things done.

Left home with a full tank and filled up and checked mileage when I got home. I almost fell over...Managed 29.2 MPG out of a 525+ HP engine in an old wreck of a car...with this new revelation, this is the most efficienct vehicle I have in the stable. Granted...I drove the car like a little old grandpa, but it shows the potential of This newer drive train.

I would have never guessed that good of mileage with the 525hp motor. Nice.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Let me ask in a different way. For all day driving, road trips, power tour and such is the 525hp motor too much?
If that is all you are doing, get the LS3 430HP engine and be very happy.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 10-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Amazing Fuel Mileage

That fuel mileage is amazing...now just imagine if it was ONLY the 430 horse LS3 and you drove it "nice"...what a combo...I also have the Legend 5 speed but it's behind the traditional Pontiac engine in my 67 GTO

Old 10-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure how many more opportunities I will have to do mileage checks, but I plan on doing more through a variety of ambient temps. It was a nice day...about 55 - 60 degrees and almost no wind.