The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-19-2024, 09:09 AM

Angry Fender Flares

Will someone please tell me what the original 1977 Transam front fender flares were made of? Is there a company that reproduces them? I need suggestions for the best ones to replace the ones mom accidently threw away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Bird For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure they were ABS or something similar, its a hard plastic vs the later 79-81 flexible material. I repaired a couple small cracks on my 78 flares with a 2 part product that said it was for ABS & some other plastics, it worked great & has held up for almost 15 years now.

I would look for good condition used OEM flares before any of the repro ones, I bought a set of what was the popular brand at the time from one of the big firebird parts shops, was a darker grey & had the welting attached, they looked great out of the box but fit was pretty bad, mounted OK but didnt follow the contours of the fender/quarter right, would have needed some work that I chose not to do , returned them & just repaired the originals.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I recently bought front and rear fender flares from our sponsor for my 74 T/A. Fit and fitment is good and they are pretty good quality overall.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacstogo View Post
I recently bought front and rear fender flares from our sponsor for my 74 T/A. Fit and fitment is good and they are pretty good quality overall.
Good to know.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the information.