Old 11-18-2023, 11:25 PM

Default Inside release/ locking hood latch project

I bought one of those inside release/ locking hood latches for my '69 GTO as I don't like how anyone can open it from the outside, and I don't want to have to use a chain and padlock. The kit I bought was from the Parts Place, though this same kit seems to be sold from numerous vendors, and I'll describe below as well as on the included pics my process.

Overall- I was not impressed with the latch itself. It didn't match the shape of the original latch, it lacked the secondary safety latch, and overall felt thinner/ cheaper. Also, one of the latch fasteners was a bolt that would protrude up into the engine bay which would look bad, imo. I ended up cutting the locking portion of this and welded it to my original latch which solved all the above complaints, and I was able to retain the OG look while adding a modest sense of security to my car. I'm sure someone could overpower it if they pull hard enough or keep tugging. Hope I never have it tested..

At first I thought I would use this, and proceeded to remove the welded bolt and replaced it with a nutsert so I could re use the original fastener, and then gave the latch a coat of paint to help it look weathered like the rest of my car, but then decided to just add this locking part to my original latch. I cut it off and welded it onto my original, and then used a 3/16" rod to create the locking pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7129lr.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	623446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7138lr.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	623447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7139lr.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	623448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7144lr.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	623449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7145lr.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	623450  

1967 Firebird 400 4 speed project
1969 Verdoro green GTO (daily)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuske427 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2023, 11:32 PM

I had to make more room underneath the core support and in the interest of time I quickly chopped the area larger. If I ever have the nose off I'll go back and clean it up more, but at least it's not something that anyone will see so I won't fret over it. I also made a clip out of a sheet metal clip nut to help secure the cable end onto the included end piece. It appeared to only press on, which was loose at best, and I wouldn't want this falling off while driving and then not be able to open the hood. Better to over engineer it now while I'm at home working on this. The addition of the lever housing underneath the dash was straight forward, and the unit has just enough cable to reach the front.

Once I reattached the latch to the core support the locking mechanism hit the top of the core support and wouldn't open. This was solved by adding a few washers between the latch mounting tabs and the core support. Other than making sure I put the latch back in the same spot no further tuning was needed. It works and now I can move onto the next project(s)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7146lr.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	623451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7148lr.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	623452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7149lr.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	623453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7150lr.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	623454  

The Following User Says Thank You to Tuske427 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2023, 08:45 PM

Having some recent hood latch woes, I too came across that listing for the interior release.
I was curious how it was going to work, and a bit surprised to see how it all worked.
I was thinking that it would have relied on the factory latch, and simply changed the pull rod for "something else" in the kit that I couldnt quite think of how it would work.
How well does it work overall?
Thanks for posting!

Old 11-21-2023, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTurtle View Post
Having some recent hood latch woes, I too came across that listing for the interior release.
I was curious how it was going to work, and a bit surprised to see how it all worked.
I was thinking that it would have relied on the factory latch, and simply changed the pull rod for "something else" in the kit that I couldnt quite think of how it would work.
How well does it work overall?
Thanks for posting!
It works great because it's my OEM latch, and this locking part is a simple slide lever to lock/ unlock so you can open the hood or secure it closed.

Because I cut and welded the locking part to my OG latch I had to do a little fine tuning adjustments to get the lever to lock/ open like using the washers as spacers when I reinstalled my latch, open up the core support underside a little, and do a little filing to the mechanism to work with the 3/16" rod I welded in. Doing this extra work was worth it to retain the original latch with secondary safety catch.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice clean set up, you've got some strong fab skills! Two additional thoughts catch my imagination; first is if it would be better to hide the lock lever in the car, so as to avoid the temptation to break into the car? Second is I seem to recall a factory authorized (dealer install only) inside hood release only in those years. does anyone have an original or pictures of one? It the repop you bought based on that original setup?

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 11-23-2023, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Nice clean set up, you've got some strong fab skills! Two additional thoughts catch my imagination; first is if it would be better to hide the lock lever in the car, so as to avoid the temptation to break into the car? Second is I seem to recall a factory authorized (dealer install only) inside hood release only in those years. does anyone have an original or pictures of one? It the repop you bought based on that original setup?
Thank you

re: lock location. yeah, this could go further below the dash to make it even less obvious, or hidden, too, if desired. Of course, the cable is only so long so one might have to get a longer cable if locating it far away from the driver's reach. TBH it's not visible from the driver side of the car, and the average thug wouldn't know about this, either.

As for a repop, I would guess yes, as it's being sold at pontiac specific places, and it has an era correct style to it. I too don't know for sure and would also love to see an original one to confirm either way.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Like so many parts you purchase today, they are cheaply overseas made. I used to chain my hood down underneath the hood but now only drive my car to shows and its kept inside. Still, even at shows I've had people touch parts underneath the hood which is quickly frowned upon when I see it....

Old 11-23-2023, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm surprised that no one has simply reproduced the hood lock kit that GM used to sell;
They occasionally come up for sale, and when one came up for sale locally many moons ago, I went and grabbed it for myself.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-26-2023, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You did a lot of impressive work on that Tuske427.

John, here is my interior hood release option. If I recall these were dealer installed from 69 to 72 on the A bodies. I'm sure you will know more than me about the years it was offered.

I found this NOS example over 20 years ago. Its a nice option and while not a lock, its just like a modern car, pull to release on the interior and then pull the usual under the bumper for the secondary release.

I found most people have never seen one and it does get some notice from the more sharp eyed show goers. Though it does require a note if the car is getting worked on as to inform its there and how to use it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	623816   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto hood release 2 pic.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	623817  

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.

Last edited by Mark Simiele; 11-26-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele View Post
You did a lot of impressive work on that Tuske427.

John, here is my interior hood release option. If I recall these were dealer installed from 69 to 72 on the A bodies. I'm sure you will know more than me about the years it was offered.

I found this NOS example over 20 years ago. Its a nice option and while not a lock, its just like a modern car, pull to release on the interior and then pull the usual under the bumper for the secondary release.

I found most people have never seen one and it does get some notice from the more sharp eyed show goers. Though it does require a note if the car is getting worked on as to inform its there and how to use it.
I just met a guy with a 70 Judge that has this option in his car, this was the first one that I seen in person that I can remember. I bet it is a rare option. I also met a guy a couple of months ago with a 69 GTO Conv with the shoulder harness, I told him about your car as you spoke about it before on here, he was trying to get info on it, not sure if he ever reached out to you. Thanks, Marc.

Old 11-26-2023, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one several years back but haven't installed.

Attached are scans of the paperwork that came with it.

May help someone.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Latch.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	623835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch 3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	623839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch 4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	623840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	623841  

Old 11-26-2023, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuske427 View Post
... it lacked the secondary safety latch...
I'm curious if this was the same as the GM version?

If you had no release rod on the outside, and you popped the remote from inside, how would you release the safety latch when you got out to open the hood?

Could this have been marketed more as a convenience than as a security feature? For example, if you drove into a gas station in 1970 that had an attendant, maybe this remote came in handy? OTOH, any service attendant would know how to open the hood... I know Oregon did not allow self-serve gas the last time I drove through it.. back in 1969 or 70 it was probably common everywhere.

Mike

Old 11-26-2023, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting, it’s not in the 69 accessory brochure but the sketch of the dashboard is definitely 69. Maybe it was a mid year intro. It definitely wasn’t a factory option. I’ll have a look tomorrow in my November 69 MPC and see if it’s in the accessory section.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 11-26-2023, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting, it’s not in the 69 accessory brochure but the sketch of the dashboard is definitely 69. Maybe it was a mid year intro. It definitely wasn’t a factory option. I’ll have a look tomorrow in my November 69 MPC and see if it’s in the accessory section.

1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
Old 11-26-2023, 09:03 PM

This is turning into quite the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
If you had no release rod on the outside, and you popped the remote from inside, how would you release the safety latch when you got out to open the hood?
To me it looks like you'd need a second set of hands. One to lift the hood while the other holds the latch release in the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele View Post
John, here is my interior hood release option....I found most people have never seen one and it does get some notice from the more sharp eyed show goers. Though it does require a note if the car is getting worked on as to inform its there and how to use it.
It looks great! I think I would glance right past it thinking it was the park release at first glance. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I bought one several years back but haven't installed.
Attached are scans of the paperwork that came with it.
May help someone.
Mike
Wow those docs came out great and makes a great comparison to the current market offerings. Thank you for sharing!

Old 11-27-2023, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beginning back in the mid 80's, in boneyards, I occasionally stumbled across & pulled the accessory pkg "Hood Lock". They were installed on early 70's Oldsmobile Cutlasses, & remember right, a few Olds full size offerings as well. Pontiac offered basically the same black plastic pod, cable, & latch over the dealer counter as an accessory package. I've owned one of the Pontiac packages NOS, but after purchase & in examining the installation instructions, decided to not modify the 71's coresupport.

Back to the Olds installations, one thing I often ran across on the Olds installed packages was the chrome metalized lever on black plastic pod was often snapped off.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I'm curious if this was the same as the GM version?

Could this have been marketed more as a convenience than as a security feature? For example, if you drove into a gas station in 1970 that had an attendant, maybe this remote came in handy? OTOH, any service attendant would know how to open the hood... I know Oregon did not allow self-serve gas the last time I drove through it.. back in 1969 or 70 it was probably common everywhere.

Mike
The design of this aftermarket unit still requires pulling the lever in front to open the hood. There's a rod attached to the back side of the lever that gets pulled on to release the hood latch. there's also a sliding stopper that blocks said rod to prevent the latch from being released. sliding the lever inside the cabin is what activates the stopper.

It worked this way on the aftermarket latch and same on mine. The difference is I welded a stronger rod to my latch lever than the one that came in the kit/ aftermarket unit, and my latch has the secondary catch. (it's also original so it looks better when the hood is up) the secondary catch is only for safety, it has no impact on the locking mechanism itself.

hope this helps explain more