THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 10:20 PM
Boost Engineer

I will do my part to post only facts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I will do my part to post only facts.

Tom V.
Great!!!

Old 02-21-2023, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stolen from a source that has political material....

EV Vehicles: It’s Much Worse Than You Think

EV vehicles are not all that if we’re trying to reduce our carbon footprint en masse by 2030. A lightweight vehicle takes ten years to recoup its losses. Trucks are much worse. If you want to electrify transport in America, you need to double the grid size, which would be challenging. What we’ve done in the last 150 years — double that in seven.

That doesn’t make it impossible for the right amount of money, but if you want to do it by 2030, here’s what makes EV vehicles impossible as a final solution.

You need three times the amount of copper, four times the amount of chromium, four times as much aluminum, ten times as much nickel, and eighteen times as much graphite. Never in human history have we ever doubled our production of any industrial material in any industrial period – ever.

Now we want to do it for fourteen materials simultaneously! And we’re losing Russian output, the EV solution looks a lot worse.

Russia is the top producer for about half of this stuff, and we’re going to lose the processing capacity in China. So, this cannot happen with today’s technology.

The processing is all done in China with coal so the carbon footprint is not being factored into most people’s carbon assessments.

It must be done according to a plan which he describes in the clip. The geography must be considered according to the available materials. EVs don’t make the cut.

There’s a lot more. Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yje4u1ffHCU

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 01:31 PM
Boost Engineer

AGAIN, You will not see the Internal Combustion go away in the next 30 years if ever.

Again the post by Steve C has a lot of truth.

Reminds me of the Shelby Cobra. Some wanted the car for one reason, (to "show off"
for the neighbors). Bill Cosby being one of them. The car scared the chit out of him and
Shelby sold the car for him shortly after his first ride in the vehicle.

I have posted the time line is at least 30 years. (Probably will be after MANY of you are
no longer breathing on this earth.)

Just saying. Something for people to stir the chit in the Lobby.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saying

Old 02-21-2023, 03:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Your Link does not work, KS circuitguy
For your information.

Tom V.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
AGAIN, You will not see the Internal Combustion go away in the next 30 years if ever.

Again the post by Steve C has a lot of truth.

Reminds me of the Shelby Cobra. Some wanted the car for one reason, (to "show off"
for the neighbors). Bill Cosby being one of them. The car scared the chit out of him and
Shelby sold the car for him shortly after his first ride in the vehicle.

I have posted the time line is at least 30 years. (Probably will be after MANY of you are
no longer breathing on this earth.)

Just saying. Something for people to stir the chit in the Lobby.

Tom V.
Just facts,,,remember? This thread is basically about opinions on the subject so enough with the "chit stirring".

Old 02-22-2023, 12:59 PM
Boost Engineer

Fact, I worked next to a guy (who now has 55 people working for him on electric vehicles).

Fact, He called me up and asked if he could use the LIGHTNING name for his trucks,
(as I did the first internal combustion engine "Lightning Truck".

Fact, who knows the time line better? I personally would go by his forecast vs your "Facts".

One Electric Vehicle today vs having everything Electric Vehicles is quite a challenge.

It took from 1979 to the present, 2023, to have 2 million Turbocharged ECOBOOST vehicles out there. I have been told, but not sure if it is a fact, that there are about 300 million people in the USA alone.

So post up some of your facts on when the Government bans all IC engines.

Tom V.

Old 02-22-2023, 02:46 PM
Senior Chief

I too think it will be quite a while before it is even possible to actually eliminate IC vehicles.
But there are cities in Europe that have laws in place banning IC vehicles in the future. Amsterdam in 2030 for one. There are also no drive places in some European cities as well, these were initially for pedestrian friendly reasons but have expanded to be smog free zones as well. If/ when it happens in the US, of course California will be first

Old 02-22-2023, 04:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Detroit used to have a cloud hanging over it as you neared the city. 1973 time frame.
Obviously a pollution cloud. Air is much better today due to smog reduction.

"California will be first". Agree.

Same deal for their water issues. Grand Canyon is drying up.

Talk of piping water from the Great Lakes to California. Not going to happen.

Lots of people bailing on California to the Midwest or to places like Idaho.

We did a bunch of testing with Hydrogen Fuel in California. Issue is Hydrogen is very
hard to store. Fill up a tanker truck with Hydrogen. In a week the Hydrogen in the tank
will be gone as the stuff cannot be trapped for any period of time like conventional fuels.

Figure out the hydrogen fuel storage problem and you have massive amounts of fuel for
IC engines. Easier to go "all electric".

Just saying, nas t eh.

Tom V.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Detroit used to have a cloud hanging over it as you neared the city. 1973 time frame.
Obviously a pollution cloud. Air is much better today due to smog reduction.

Tom V.
Another example: if you look at photos from the 1960s or earlier of most any highway system, there's a dark stripe down the middle of each lane from the oil that was left behind by cars that had no emissions controls like PCV systems.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Harbor-Freeway.jpeg
Views:	421
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	607681  

Old 02-22-2023, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It could also be my leaky rear main seal...lol

mental note: update travel plans to stay away from europe and cali

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
It could also be my leaky rear main seal...lol
When cars just had a road draft tube instead of a PCV system, all that blow by just emptied out on the ground.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
When cars just had a road draft tube instead of a PCV system, all that blow by just emptied out on the ground.
My fathers old Falcon had a draft tube. I remember that huffing when he pulled up the driveway. It would stain the driveway.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1961 Bonneville has a draft tube, they weren't common until 1962. The old 1961 Catalina that was my first car when I was in college in the 1970s had a worn out engine; it smoked like a chimney out of the draft tube, everyone called it a mosquito killer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know ... it's not going to be a bunch of old geezers like ourselves that make the decisions on EV vs ICE. 90% of us will be worm food in 20 years ... and they'll probably bury us with electric backhoes Dang whipper snappers with their fancy techno gadgets.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not an advocate for total replacement of ICE with EV automobiles, mainly because currently they are not a good fit for most people (electric grid woes, lack of charging stations in rural America, length of time to wait and actual charge times).

That said, I just got done blowing my driveway with an electric snowblower. I purchased this after having bought my electric lawn mower last spring. Both units use the exact same batteries.

I used to live out in the country and had an AWD, articulating Husqvarna unit with 42" deck and snowblower - gas powered of course.

But when we bought a new home last April on a .35 acre lot in town, I opted for the electric lawnmower. It came with and holds two batteries and two batteries was more than enough to do my yard. As winter approached, I knew I needed to buy a snowblower. I was a little nervous about run time with just the batteries that came with the blower, which is why I opted to stay with the same brand so I would have 6 batteries for blowing. The blower holds 4 batteries, but can run on two.

Well, right in the midst of "snowmaggedon" here in the midwest, I just finished blowing out my 3 stall garage, the sidewalk to the front door and 100' of public sidewalk in front of my house. The snow plow went buy as I was doing the public sidewalk, so I had to go blow out the end of my driveway again.

I almost finished with just the 4 batteries, but to finish up the what the snow plow left me, I had to resort to my extra pair.

Nice thing about an electric, I was out blowing snow at 4:30 AM and I didn't wake my wife....

I enjoy not having to have a 5 gallon gas can in my garage anymore. The electric units perform vary well. No need for fuel stabilizer. My charging station is right in my garage and I can charge 3 batteries at a time (1 on the lawn mower charger and 2 on the snowblower charger).

For even more emergency power, my cordless weed wacker, leaf blower and hedge trimmer all use the same 40 volt batteries, but with lower amp ratings. They will run the lawn mower (I screwed up once and forgot to charge the lawn mower batteries), but I don't think they'd handle the blower. But I have 2 more lower amp chargers for those units.

FWIW - All my units are Ryobi.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I am a late adopter. (my term). My wife loves tech and is first in line for every electronic trinket, gadget, cell phone and tablet that is released. I am happy with her old crap when she gets bored with it. So for small yards, driveways and such, I am coming around to cordless stuff slowly. My next door neighbor has an EGO brand snow thrower and 2 batteries. 3 inches of snow, no issue. We had a snow of 6 inches of heavy stuff this year. They cleared about 1/2 their drive, both batteries dead and 8 hours to recharge. I loaned them my 15 year old single stage gas Snapper unit so they could finish. IMO, Electric is gaining ground, but not there yet. Same with vehicles. Live in a high population center and drive lots of short distances? Hate cars, maintenance, internal combustion engines in general? Want to have that warm and fuzzy feeling every time you drive somewhere because the electricity to charge the batteries comes from a magic box somewhere? Then electric cars/trucks are perfect. My daughter and her husband fit this mold perfectly. They have 2 gasoline cars and the pair of vehicles probably see 100 miles or so between them a week. They live in a neighborhood in a private house with a garage. They are in their early 30's and cars are just another annoying appliance. An electric car would be PERFECT for them. I get it. But gasoline needs to be an option for decades to come and new models will need to be produced.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

A recent good article about a long distance trip in a EV.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...w/69795802007/

Old 02-23-2023, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By a wide margin, California is the state with the most EV chargers in the U.S., so armed with the PlugShare app, Chevy’s my Chevrolet app, and Google Maps on my phone, I figured that locating charging stations would be the least of my issues.

It only took me a few hours to realize I was wrong.

Can you take a road trip in an electric vehicle?

https://roadtrippers.com/magazine/ca...ctric-vehicle/

5 Reasons Battery-Electric Vehicle Road Trip Range Stinks
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/5-re...range-possible

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Closed Thread