Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Senior Chief

The always entertaining Mike Garblik's take on how lean the new power equipment is set up:

"They adjust the carb until it runs perfectly and then lean it out two turns!"

My own take on this stuff is that when I have to work on something like that, is to go cross reference the engine to a prior iteration that had an adjustable carb, and step two is to go buy one off amazon. Case in point was a snow blower that NEVER got warm enough to run right. ITS FOR THE DAMN WINTERTIME WHEN ITS COLD AND SNOWY, YOU WORTHLESS ***t-eating ***ks.

Fixed jet foolishness. Bought an adjustable main jet version of the same carb, that damn thing runs perfectly every time.

Speaking of the spark plug thing, I've chased my own ass on so many problems that I'm embarrassed to mention.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Adjustable carburetors have been disappearing fast on most small power equipment and have for many years now. Just about every small "homeowner" model Stihl chainsaw shows up with a fixed jet carb on it these day....HOPELESS for fine tuning and if it works well for you at your altitude and fuel quality it's pretty much a winning lottery ticket.

None of the Honda small engines have been adjustable dating back a couple of decades now, at least not for the main jet, some have idle air/fuel capabilities but that's about useless as they are fixed governor designs and never idle anyhow.

For most chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, etc. you may find limiter caps over the "L" and "H" screws or some sort of limiter caps on them. Most can be removed for fine tuning. Many also use adjustment screws with special heads on them or tamper-proof designs, but the tools to turn them are readily available and affordable.....Cliff

https://www.amazon.com/TOPEMAI-Carbu...88589215&psc=1

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 11-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

For most chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, etc. you may find limiter caps over the "L" and "H" screws or some sort of limiter caps on them. Most can be removed for fine tuning. Many also use adjustment screws with special heads on them or tamper-proof designs, but the tools to turn them are readily available and affordable.....Cliff

https://www.amazon.com/TOPEMAI-Carbu...88589215&psc=1
Yep. I bought a Husqvarna trimmer a few years back. You couldn't open the throttle until it ran for about five minutes because it was so lean. It had a male splined mixture screw surrounded by an aluminum tube. I took a jewelers file and filed down through the tube and into the screw. Now I can adjust it with a small blade screwdriver. Starts and runs like a champ now!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You might be the guy I am looking for.
Is it possible to get a 8HP Tecumseh V shaft flywheel with teeth for a starter ? The ID sticker is gone, but its the same basic flathead they made for years to compete with Briggs. it was about the time they went to cat iron sleeves and replaceable bushings in the case.
All anyone wants to do is sell me a new engine. This is a solid made in the USA engine the runs great and I do not want some Harbor Freight junk in its place.
Thanks for any info
Ebay.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I chased my tail one day after changing spark plugs

Pontiac 440 under lightly ported #48 heads HC-03 camshaft

Started the car up idle was fine went for a test drive came back with a miss, ohm'ed out plug wires changed points and so on looked cap over still missing quickly pulled valve covers nothing

Pulled out the brand new Champion plugs and one of them had over double the gap they started with the center electrode failed and pushed in

Installed the old A/C plugs and learned a lesson

Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. I bought a Husqvarna trimmer a few years back. You couldn't open the throttle until it ran for about five minutes because it was so lean. It had a male splined mixture screw surrounded by an aluminum tube. I took a jewelers file and filed down through the tube and into the screw. Now I can adjust it with a small blade screwdriver. Starts and runs like a champ now!

There are still a lot of carbs used on small power equipment that are adjustable and not "fixed jet". Sometimes you have to find a way to access them, or modify them to make adjustments.

Below are some pics of an Echo CS-620PW saw I did recently. Since it was new I put the limiter caps back in place in case there was a Warranty issue as we didn't want to look like it had been tampered with. The limiter caps and surrounding retainer are removed, the "stops" gently ground off so they offer full adjustment, then everything is put back in place.

I do this to nearly every single piece of power equipment purchased or brought here with running issues and it corrects all the issues with 99.9 percent of it as they are set up WAY too lean from the factory to run well on this new fuel........Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1679.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	523383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	523384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1683.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	523385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1684.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	523386  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 11-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

There are still a lot of carbs used on small power equipment that are adjustable and not "fixed jet". Sometimes you have to find a way to access them, or modify them to make adjustments.

Below are some pics of an Echo CS-620PW saw I did recently. Since it was new I put the limiter caps back in place in case there was a Warranty issue as we didn't want to look like it had been tampered with. The limiter caps and surrounding retainer are removed, the "stops" gently ground off so they offer full adjustment, then everything is put back in place.

I do this to nearly every single piece of power equipment purchased or brought here with running issues and it corrects all the issues with 99.9 percent of it as they are set up WAY too lean from the factory to run well on this new fuel........Cliff
Haven't seen that kind yet. Nice job!

I had the carb off of my trimmer the first day I used it! Lol! I'm sure not too many people would tear apart and modify a brand new trimmer. But I had done a lot of research and wanted this one. So I made it work. I may be just a little stubborn.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't dislike Champion plugs strictly because of their reputation. I dislike them because they are the only plugs I have taken right out of the box and they would not fire. Had 3 in a set of 8 one time that would not work. Installed Autolite and all was fine.

Champion are the only plugs I cannot Cryo treat because every one I tried to Cryo, broke the porcelain right where the steel body is crimped around it. I mean every single Champion plug I did. Was just one set. I won't Cryo them anymore. I've Cryoed many other brands and never had one crack.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 11-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I have an Echo weed eater, bought new in 1996. Still runs like new. Starts easy. Sometimes have to fiddle with it on the first start in spring, other than that, it's flawless.

Are their chain saws worth buying??? We used to have a Stihl dealer in town, those things seem to be very high quality...?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I have an Echo weed eater, bought new in 1996. Still runs like new. Starts easy. Sometimes have to fiddle with it on the first start in spring, other than that, it's flawless.

Are their chain saws worth buying??? We used to have a Stihl dealer in town, those things seem to be very high quality...?
My brother owns a rental company and he uses Stihl equipment. When I asked him which brand to buy he said if Stihl can live through the idiots that rent his equipment it should last a lifetime when you take care of it....I couldn't find a fault in his logic...They always start and work as advertised. I have a backpack blower and a combi system(edger, weed eater, pole saw). All of the pro tree cutters around here use their chain saws.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son owns a tree service company, all Stihl saws. All tree service guys I ever see I’d say 80% use Stihl, 20% Husky. Echo makes good stuff, just not as popular.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good Plug reminder!

Found a shorted AC Delco on a 70 GTO long time ago.
Rebuilt a brass float (brushed &re-soldered) last week on a walk-behind weed-whacker.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a tune up on my Dad's 67 Chevy 6 cyl. wagon back in the late 70's and put 6 Champion plugs in it. The idle was terrible and the engine shook. My old man said to put the old plugs back in. Ran fine. Another Champion story: When I worked at Balch Pontiac in the 70's the only new cars that wouldn't fire up to be driven off the truck where the Fiats which came from the factory with Champion plugs. We would have to pull and clean them. I don't know about the modern day Champions, I sell a lot of them and they never come back.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People only tend to remember the times when a product fails. I can tell you of the 2 times I worked in a GM dealership that upon replacing all the ACs during a tune up, starting both cars up the porcelain blew out of the steel shell. One stayed with the plug wire, the other hit a cement block wall and chipped the block.

I however have zero recollection of the hundreds of AC, or the thousands of Champion plugs I've replaced that had zero problems. Human nature to recall bad experiences I guess...……..

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated