Old 04-03-2005, 01:54 PM

I'm anticipating the arrival of a California parts car for my '63 Bonneville convertible any day now. I flew out to Sacramento a couple weeks ago to check the car out before making the deal on it. (I just need the frame and trunk pans for my east coast car.)

Anyway, the sheet metal appears to be rust free. The passenger fender is dented, but other panels appear to be straight and solid. Once we lift the body to swap frames, my plan is to cut the quarters behind the top and store the fenders, doors, quarters, apron, hood, and decklid. My original frame is hardly worth salvaging, so it will be scrapped. I'll also have several suspension parts available from the California car (top bows, etc.; it's another convertible), though there really isn't any interior left in it.

The engine is a 389 4bbl with a manual transmission. It was evidently moved from the column to the floor at some point, but I can't tell yet whether the original gearbox is on the car or even if it's a 3 or 4 speed. No AC, manual brakes, and no interior power that I can see.

Anyway, if anybody is interested in any of the stuff, there are pictures of the car currently available at www.2rosenthals.net (I did not take these). Just drop me a note at lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com and I'm sure we can come to terms. I'm located in New York on Long Island.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 04-03-2005, 01:54 PM

I'm anticipating the arrival of a California parts car for my '63 Bonneville convertible any day now. I flew out to Sacramento a couple weeks ago to check the car out before making the deal on it. (I just need the frame and trunk pans for my east coast car.)

Anyway, the sheet metal appears to be rust free. The passenger fender is dented, but other panels appear to be straight and solid. Once we lift the body to swap frames, my plan is to cut the quarters behind the top and store the fenders, doors, quarters, apron, hood, and decklid. My original frame is hardly worth salvaging, so it will be scrapped. I'll also have several suspension parts available from the California car (top bows, etc.; it's another convertible), though there really isn't any interior left in it.

The engine is a 389 4bbl with a manual transmission. It was evidently moved from the column to the floor at some point, but I can't tell yet whether the original gearbox is on the car or even if it's a 3 or 4 speed. No AC, manual brakes, and no interior power that I can see.

Anyway, if anybody is interested in any of the stuff, there are pictures of the car currently available at www.2rosenthals.net (I did not take these). Just drop me a note at lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com and I'm sure we can come to terms. I'm located in New York on Long Island.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Chief

i wish i would have known before the car was shipped. im about an hour away from sacramento and i could use the deck lid and deck lid trim panel.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That manual transmission stuff is worth some money. Save every piece. If it doesnt sell here put it on ebay

Old 04-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Any clues as to what I should look for to determine originality? As I mentioned, the shifter was moved to the floor from the column, but I have no idea whether it's a 3 or 4 speed, nor do I know which manufacturer's gearbox it is (Muncie, etc.). As you might have guessed, I'm intimately more familiar with Super Hydramatics and even Slim Jims (I also own a '63 Grand Prix).

Do you know if the transmission crossmember might be the same on the Super Hydramatic as on the manual? My crossmember is pretty rotten at the ends (where it mates up to the chassis, in the rubber grommets). This one looks good and solid (both are of the rolled type, as was used in late '63).

TIA, and thanks for the advice on holding onto the trans.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 PM

More pics up at http://www2.2rosenthals.net:81/coppe...s.php?album=15.

This car was completely manual; no power at all: manual brakes, manual steering (in a Bonneville...I've never seen a '62-'64 Bonneville without a steering pump!), manual windows, manual transmission.

BTW, the trans does indeed appear to be original, with the exception of the shifter which was moved to the floor some time ago. It is a 3-speed.

I also have an extra hood and nose which came with the car and both are in very good shape. I'll be adding some more pictures to the photo gallery soon.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-22-2005, 07:44 PM

I sold my last set of manual tranny parts for $750. No trans. just the pedals and parts. It was a 3 on the tree car also. Good luck.

WWW.Pontiacprocessing.homestead.com.
Steve

Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 AM

You want to do some checking on the trans. If I remember correctly, having had a '63 Catalina with a 389 two barrel three speed, the three speed trans for the four barrel is a HD model, since the non-HD was marginal with the torque/HP of a 389 larger than the base HP. So you could make a few extra bucks if it is the HD trans.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know, the heavy duty 3 speed manual trans was standard in Bonnevilles, so this car most likely has one of them.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:21 AM

I know this is a really old tread, but I am looking for the driver's fender for my 1963 Grand Prix. Does anyone have one or know where I can find one?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2022, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a pair from my Catalina build, if I remember their decent, but their buried in snow behind my garage. Where are you located?

Old 03-19-2022, 11:40 PM

Thank you hobbygto65,

I am in South Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-03-08 18.00.47.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	586643