WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

No corners here sir, but my 04 goat sure can take um alot better than your old goat

Yellow Jacket, you are absolutely correct, but mine will get to the corner faster...I'll wait for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-05-2004, 05:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
_No corners here sir, but my 04 goat sure can take um alot better than your old goat_

Yellow Jacket, you are absolutely correct, but mine will get to the corner faster...I'll wait for you... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if it's stock you won't. If it's not then
let me do the same mods and we'll see.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM

Maybe pontiac could please old and young.The 400 horse should please both. Maybe a new wing on the back Like a 70 wing for the old and for the young crowd maybe a superbird wing bolted on top of the 70 wing. The duel out each side of the rear should please the old and add a giant fart can at the end for the young.Add some type of hood scoop for each group. Maybe a twin scoop for the old guys and a great big scoop on the roof for the young guys. I'm not sure how much horsepower you gain from a roof scoop but I've seen a few so it must do something,maybe torque? The ride height will do for the old but the young guys need all susp. travel removed with 20'' wheels and solid rubber tires to get the right amount of bounce over bumps.And it has to have stickers. A holley and hijacker sticker is a must for old gtoer. The young guys must have a nos sticker along with any other sticker they find laying around.The interior needs a little work to appeal to both crowds. Maybe a 8 track player mounted on the console for the old guys.That would be a big promotional thing also. It would be the only car in the world to come standard with one and since the young kids wouldn't know what it is all the youngsters would have to have one and since the gto is the only car to have one,sales would go out the roof.Maybe I have solved all of the gtos sales problems. Anyways back to the interior standard guages should be fine for the old eventhough I did see one old guy with a 11 grand monster tach on a 455 where 0 -5000 is about a inch and a half sweep and 5 -11 is 6 inches.For the young guys it must have pillar guages.The good news pontiac doesn't have to make them work they just need to light up. It also needs a shoulder pad on the seatbelt with the simpson logo,that would please young and old.Maybe a multi colored dome light. The old guys could pick a color easy on their eyes and it would save the kids from having to put in neon. I don't see why pontiac can't make this car appeal to all groups of people.It should be a huge success.I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:03 AM

You forgot one thing. Lets pull off all the Pontiac and GTO emblams, and replace them with lets say........... Monaro!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:04 AM

I think we should pull off the old GTO emblems and replace them with Tempest.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another day same argument, yaawn...
Old 07-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope. Pry the GTO tags off, slap some Chevelle emblems on it and they will sell like hot cakes. Those Chevy guys will buy anything.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom McQueen:
HUH!!!??? Sorry, but your facts are imaginary. Pontiac didnt design diddly squat on this car. Its an existing design imported and re-badged, in a blatant attempt to squeeze a few more bucks from a classic old name. Period. Im sure the Monaro is a fine car. But it aint a GTO.
As for appealing to the old school musclecar crowd, dont make me laugh. I happen to be a part of the old school musclecar crowd, and I know a fair number of others that qualify for that title. See, if it did appeal to the old schoolers, we would buy one. Cause were older, and most of us have the funds to afford one. But as the sales figures show, the market for the car in its current form just isnt there.
And given GM's talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, Im not optimistic about its future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't fool yourself Tom, Pontiac had a lot to say about how this new GTO would look or wouldn't look. It's my contention that the compromises that were arrived at, design-wise, made for an unsatisfactory offering on many fronts and to many different socio-economic groups. And you're right when you say that the sales figures reflect that unsatisfied market.
I count myself as a member of the "old school muscle car crowd" also, and I'm not laughing. This new GTO is one heck of a car! My '67 Goat doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of keeping up with this new car in a straight line or on a twisty circuit. The advances in automotive packaging and performance in the last 40 years are stunning. I'd have a new Goat parked in my garage today if I had a garage. My current curcumstances don't allow for a new car, but if they did, that new car would be an '04, 6-sp, GTO! Like it or not, this Monaro-based car IS the new GTO, and as far as I'm concerned, it may not have the looks yet, but it sure has the balls to be called that honored name.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gtoric:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom McQueen:
HUH!!!??? Sorry, but your facts are imaginary. Pontiac didnt design diddly squat on this car. Its an existing design imported and re-badged, in a blatant attempt to squeeze a few more bucks from a classic old name. Period. Im sure the Monaro is a fine car. But it aint a GTO.
As for appealing to the old school musclecar crowd, dont make me laugh. I happen to be a part of the old school musclecar crowd, and I know a fair number of others that qualify for that title. See, if it did appeal to the old schoolers, we would buy one. Cause were older, and most of us have the funds to afford one. But as the sales figures show, the market for the car in its current form just isnt there.
And given GM's talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, Im not optimistic about its future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't fool yourself Tom, Pontiac had a lot to say about how this new GTO would look or wouldn't look. It's my contention that the compromises that were arrived at, design-wise, made for an unsatisfactory offering on many fronts and to many different socio-economic groups. And you're right when you say that the sales figures reflect that unsatisfied market.
I count myself as a member of the "old school muscle car crowd" also, and I'm not laughing. This new GTO is one heck of a car! My '67 Goat doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of keeping up with this new car in a straight line or on a twisty circuit. The advances in automotive packaging and performance in the last 40 years are stunning. I'd have a new Goat parked in my garage today if I had a garage. My current curcumstances don't allow for a new car, but if they did, that new car would be an '04, 6-sp, GTO! Like it or not, this Monaro-based car IS the new GTO, and as far as I'm concerned, it may not have the looks yet, but it sure has the balls to be called that honored name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto...
Old 07-06-2004, 05:48 PM

I'll just wait for those amazing 0 down/0 interest/$3k cash back offers to start racking up on the 04's about the time the 05's are rolling out. Or maybe I'll just wait for an '05. Either way, it's a win-win for those of us who want the least expensive, most powerful RWD performance coupe that's not based on a FWD economy car available in North America. (Counting the days)
Old 07-06-2004, 06:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
I think we should pull off the old GTO emblems and replace them with Tempest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least the Tempest wasn't an import
Old 07-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Yellow Jacket, Not if it's stock you won't. If it's not then...

It's not, and being an "old fart", I don't have the time for you young whippersnappers to upgrade....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
_Yellow Jacket, Not if it's stock you won't. If it's not then..._

It's not, and being an "old fart", I don't have the time for you young whippersnappers to upgrade.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you forgotten about this 2004 GTO???

You're memory is going to pot, Danny, you old fart...
Old 07-06-2004, 08:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KVman389:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
I think we should pull off the old GTO emblems and replace them with Tempest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least the Tempest wasn't an import <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now we get to the route of your problem with
these cars. Imports.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"This new GTO is one heck of a car! My '67 Goat doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of keeping up with this new car in a straight line or on a twisty circuit."

gtoric, trust me when I tell you that my classic 70 GTO has the Monaro covered in every aspect of performance in spades.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:50 PM

"This new GTO is one heck of a car! My '67 Goat doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of keeping up with this new car in a straight line or on a twisty circuit."

gtoric, trust me when I tell you that my classic 70 GTO has the Monaro covered in every aspect of performance in spades. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, not if your car is stock. Otherwise,
I'll slap a Magnacharger on with 125 shot of
NOS just for kicks.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And you would still loose.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Magnacharger+NO2+04GTO=lots of IRS pieces on the ground . Just ask the Cobra boys. You don't really think those toothpicks they call axles will hold up do ya. At least when it does go boom you won't have to worry about puting a hole in the gas tank

Also if we are to compare apples to apples the badges on my 68 GTO are much nicer. Thats the only thing they really have in common
Old 07-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

gtoric, trust me when I tell you that my classic 70 GTO has the Monaro covered in every aspect of performance in spades. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the performance data on your car? I haven't seen it.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And you would still loose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If, and I repeat, if that is true, than what you have has no functional resemblance to what a factory '70 GTO was.

So why are you trying to compare it to a factory GTO?

I know gtoric's car. It is a wonderful stock '67 GTO convertible that anyone would be proud to own.

If your 70 will out accelerate a new GTO with a Magnacharger and a 125 shot of NOS and out corner it too you have one heckuva car.

How often do you drive this monster on the street? Do you go on 200+ mile cruises with it?

I do with my '64 GTO and many of the rest of us do.

That new GTO will out accelerate and out corner mine - that's a fact. It would also use half the gas and be alot more comfortable.

Like gtoric mentioned, I'd have one of the 2004 GTO's in my garage except I only have a 3 car garage and I ain't selling any of my 5 current vehicles anytime soon.

Now after I get my second garage built...