WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, who pissed in your cherios?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nobody...This forum would be boring if everybody walked in lockstep with the 04 cheerleading squad. GM is attempting to design a factory tuner and pass it off as a musclecar using an iconic name such as GTO. Trying to save a few bucks using a well-worn and boring fleet design didn't help either. Look at the 05 options and tell me I'm wrong. The only thing they missed was window graphics and a free Fast-n-Furious DVD with each purchase. (give 'em time)
Old 11-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
"they sold more in the last 2 months than all year"...compared to what? If you're looking at anticipated sales, volume vs. markdown, it's still pathetic. GMs Monaro would have done better under a different name than GTO. As a performance sedan it holds it's own. As a GTO it is a failure. The only ones that like this car are pre-pubescent tuners and they don't have the money to buy one anyways. Look for bigger spoilers, ricer air boxes and fart can exhausts on the 05 as options. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the new GTO...... and I went through puberty in 1978.......

I personally don't care for the wing either, but (blasphemy!) I think that even a '69-'71 Judge looks better without one. Fortunately, it's easy to remove.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>GM is attempting to design a factory tuner and pass it off as a musclecar using an iconic name such as GTO. Trying to save a few bucks using a well-worn and boring fleet design didn't help either. Look at the 05 options and tell me I'm wrong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're wrong Joe. You do know that the new GTO is a V-8 (350 hp LS-1 for '04, 400 hp LS-2 for '05) rear wheel drive car, available with a manual trans with upscale interior and seating for 4 adults? Name another GM, Ford Chrysler, import etc that have these same "well worn" features in a new car, for anywhere near the same money.
It may look like a "tuner" car, but it has more in coommon with the old ones than differences, and almost all the differences are good ones. The only downside are the bland looks.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 11-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
"they sold more in the last 2 months than all year"...compared to what? If you're looking at anticipated sales, volume vs. markdown, it's still pathetic. GMs Monaro would have done better under a different name than GTO. As a performance sedan it holds it's own. As a GTO it is a failure. The only ones that like this car are pre-pubescent tuners and they don't have the money to buy one anyways. Look for bigger spoilers, ricer air boxes and fart can exhausts on the 05 as options. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compared to the total of the years sales up until Sept. That is when they started offereing rebates. Rebates that had been on all other brands of cars that competed with a GTO.
2nd, Dealers were not willing to deal on the cars treating them as gold. It happened with the Cobra, EVO, STi and the new C6. Smart shopers are waiting to buy to where they can get the best deal.

Again, it does everything better than a GTO. So now it has scoops like the 65 did and exhaust on both sides. They addressed the two biggest complaints by the old bastards who probably wouldn't buy one anyway. Tell them to go buy a Corvette or Mustang.

Go look at the people buying them and loving them, they aren't prebubecent. The only one in this thread is the troll that joined Nov.19th and doesn't have the stones to say who he really is.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

" ...doesn't have the stones to say who he really is..." Mr_GTO??? Is that a real name?
Old 11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

" ...doesn't have the stones to say who he really is..." Mr_GTO??? Is that a real name? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's been Mr_GTO on this board for years.......

You've been someone else on this board for years, and made up a troll name for the sole purpose of slamming the '04s and their owners.

Theres a difference.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They addressed the two biggest complaints by the old bastards who probably wouldn't buy one anyway. Tell them to go buy a Corvette or Mustang.

Once again the 04 cheerleading squad jumps to an erroneous assumption that if one doesn't like the way GM basterdized the GTO then that must mean one is a troll who wants some regurgitated retro rider. Hood scoops are out'...they are on everything now...along with spoilers. If GM is going to try to ressurect an icon then put some thought into it. The fact of the matter is they threw this thing together in 17 months on an outdated chassis based on a fleet design in a vain attempt to cash in on the renewed interest in musclecars. They came in way behind their competitors and so the empahisis was quick production and low costs. They tacked a GTO badge on it in hopes that would sell it for them with little or no thought to a target market. By the way: How many magazine covers has the 2004/2005 GM Monaro been on compared to the C6 Vette or 05 Mustang?
Old 11-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You've been someone else on this board for years, and made up a troll name for the sole purpose of slamming the '04s and their owners.

Uhh, why would someone be on a board for years for the sole purpose of slamming a car that hadn't even seen production yet??? Whatever...The GM Monaro would probably have done well as a 2 dr. performance version of the Bonneville or as a new model all together.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Uhh, why would someone be on a board for years for the sole purpose of slamming a car that hadn't even seen production yet??? Whatever.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your new persona has been registered since 11/19/04. Your old one has been around a lot longer.......

Old 11-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Uhh, why would someone be on a board for years for the sole purpose of slamming a car that hadn't even seen production yet??? Whatever...The GM Monaro would probably have done well as a 2 dr. performance version of the Bonneville or as a new model all together. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? I don't know, please tell us.

Is whatzaa monaro your real name? Is this Misus??

Pontiac needed a muscle car, they got it. Its low production, ain't going anywhere. Thank you Pontiac you're on a roll!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Given the low sales and lack of media coverage Pontiac is on anything but a roll. Perhaps they will learn something from this and put a little more effort into designing a car that the performance automotive buying consumer will instantly recognize as a GTO ( retro or not )and will want to buy. Lutz himself said this car wasn't designed with the collector or former GTO owner in mind. Therein is where they missed their target market. Most people shopping for a BMW or some other high end performance sedan will not give the GM Monaro a second look due to it's bland styling and sub standard finishes ( orange peel , sheep hair!)courtesy of our friends in Australia. We'll see what 05 produces. If GM is smart (not) they will offer huge trade in allowances to those who purchased an 04 who want to trade it in an an 05 provided the 05 is more visually appealing and higher finishing standards.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn, I said I wouldn't entertain...

A feature film, spots on TV, Cover of every major magazine, commercials, print ads, mention on most automotive shows. That's a lack of attention for sure. Wait till the barnstormer 05 hits the media.

It wasn't their target market, so how did they miss their target market then again?? Sales were a dealer constraint, proven by the jump in sales when the rebates hit and LOA's removed.

Orange peel? I recall someone mentioning that on a pre-production car but have'nt heard anyone mention it since. You have been around for awhile but obviously haven't checked out the real thing. Orang peel is fairly common by the way.

Owner satisfaction is there, do some research. The only reason an 04 owner would want to trade up is for that extra Crapstang kicking 50 ponies.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:

A feature film, spots on TV, Cover of every major magazine, commercials, print ads, mention on most automotive shows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot "Pimp My Ride" and "Drifting" Competitions ( drifting???...that'a as weird as the AMC Pacer ) Can U Say : GM Product Placement? BTW: Name 2 MAJOR magazines ( Not Tuners R Us )
Old 11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[You forgot "Pimp My Ride" and "Drifting" Competitions ( drifting???...that'a as weird as the AMC Pacer ) Can U Say : GM Product Placement? BTW: Name 2 MAJOR magazines ( Not Tuners R Us ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been on Motor Trend TWICE, Autoweek TWICE, Road and Track at least once and multiple times on HPP and PE oh and Car and Driver.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:

A feature film, spots on TV, Cover of every major magazine, commercials, print ads, mention on most automotive shows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot "Pimp My Ride" and "Drifting" Competitions ( drifting???...that'a as weird as the AMC Pacer ) Can U Say : GM Product Placement? BTW: Name 2 MAJOR magazines ( Not Tuners R Us ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has never been on Pimp my Ride but it has been on Rides. Motor Trend, Autoweek, Automobile, Gm High Tech, Pontiac Enthusiast, High Performance Pontiac, Muscle Car Review, Car and Driver, Road and Track. That enough for you Whatza Moron?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GM dropped it by nearly 10k and it still didn't sell.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you go to school?

GM has a $3500.00 rebate on it. That's about $6500.00 short of $10,000.00 the last time I checked...

Your brilliance in posting as displayed on this board is only overshadowed by your abilities to add and subtract...
Old 11-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Champ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:_
GM dropped it by nearly 10k and it still didn't sell. _ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you go to school?

GM has a $3500.00 rebate on it.
&gt;&gt;&gt; Yeah, and they're still not selling.

Your brilliance in posting as displayed on this board is only overshadowed by your abilities to add and subtract... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can add and subtract just fine which I was I didn't buy one. If wnat to check math then add and subtract the resale value on a 2004 GM Monaro. Then get a box of tissues
Old 11-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Work on your spelling then...
Old 11-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can add and subtract just fine which I was I didn't buy one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you balance your check book the way you quote numbers....

You clearly posted:

GM dropped it by nearly 10k and it still didn't sell. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is either a terrible math mistake by you, or a bold faced lie.

Or both...
Old 11-26-2004, 12:32 PM

Youall have many good points especially the one "it would make a great GranPrix" but missed the real reason for the 04 failure.

Pontiac did not want to hear from their original base and told us so when we gave them input, pre-production and after test runs that I was personally involved in.

This car was aimed at the upscale BMW crowd, pure and simple. Now that is has failed to attract that market, they are going to try and entice $30K+ from the same buyers that they didn't want to hear from by adding "options" like the functional ramair scoops on the 2005.

If you can afford to buy, make it a 6spd and you will enjoy all aspects of the car after a few computer mods like making it think it is 55degrees for one..

If you opt for an automatic, and I advise against it, plan on competing with that 05 Mustang from a roll at 25mph because if you try to go from the light, the three competing computers will pull timing out of the motor and you will get dusted.

We had three computer geeks working with us and could not defeat the computers on a chassis dyno, let alone the track.

Now having said all this, if you just want a nice car to cruise in at 130mph and can afford the tarrif, buy it. It is quiet, handles well, stops well and rides great but as is, it's not a GTO.