WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-26-2004, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Who Send a message via MSN to The Who

I agree that 04 GTO has a blending style, but so does BMW & Mercedes. They've had the same styling for years and those cars are boring and they have no attitude by looking at them either.

For those of you who think that GTO would make a great Grand Prix I disagree, the only thing I'd want from the GTO into the 04 Grand Prix, is the LS1 and the interior, everyone knows that GM makes boring interiors, but from the outside, the new Grand Prix looks a lot better then the GTO, and my dad owns one(04 Grand Prix Comp G.).

edit: forgot a few letters/words in there lol.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheWho:
but from the outside, the new Grand Prix looks a lot better then GTO,. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks better because it is a 4 door with a longer wheel base. The GM Monaro has a stocky back end with small wheels, doesn't look good. Losing the spoiler would help. The 05 exhaust treatment is definately an improvement provided they don't go with the single fart can tuner treatment. I did see a Phantom black one with some nice after market wheels, rotors, calipers and no spoiler. Overall it was a nice looking car, certainly no GTO, but not bad. The new GTO should have graced every magazine cover, not just the occasional mention from a GM placement test drive evaluation. Hopefully they've learned something.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheWho:
but from the outside, the new Grand Prix looks a lot better then GTO,. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks better because it is a 4 door with a longer wheel base. The GM Monaro has a stocky back end with small wheels, doesn't look good. Losing the spoiler would help. The 05 exhaust treatment is definately an improvement provided they don't go with the single fart can tuner treatment. I did see a Phantom black one with some nice after market wheels, rotors, calipers and no spoiler. Overall it was a nice looking car, certainly no GTO, but not bad. The new GTO should have graced every magazine cover, not just the occasional mention from a GM placement test drive evaluation. Hopefully they've learned something. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

17" rims are small? Have you not seen pictures of the 05 yet? Was the first GTO's so outstanding styling wise they are totally unique? I don't thinks so. You have too look close to make sure it is a Pontiac, and not a Chevelle or Olds. Although there isn't one US car made today that looks like a GTO. Yes it does look like many other European cars and some Japanese cars.

The GTO should have graced every mag cover? Why don you tell me which ones it DIDN'T grace.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[/QUOTE]

Although there isn't one US
car made today that looks like a GTO. [/QUOTE]
You're right. I haven't heard any body point to a GrandAm or a Bonneville and say " Hey, that looks like a GTO"... or mistake the back end of a Cavalier or Dodge Neon for the GM Monaro.. It's usually the other way around.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although there isn't one US
car made today that looks like a GTO. [/QUOTE]
You're right. I haven't heard any body point to a GrandAm or a Bonneville and say " Hey, that looks like a GTO"... or mistake the back end of a Cavalier or Dodge Neon for the GM Monaro.. It's usually the other way around.[/QUOTE]

I know all to well. I never had my GTO called a "Nice Chevelle" before.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know all to well. I never had my GTO called a "Nice Chevelle" before.

I have, at least 1/2 doz times..........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know all to well. I never had my GTO called a "Nice Chevelle" before.[/QUOTE]
04 Pep Squad Math : 1 part Monaro + 1 part Chevy + 1 part Grand Am + 1 part Cavalier + 4 parts denial = 2004 GTO.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

04 Pep Squad Math : 1 part Monaro + 1 part Chevy + 1 part Grand Am + 1 part Cavalier + 4 parts denial = 2004 GTO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What part is Chevy and Grand Am and Cavalier? denial is those who know that the new car is 100% than the old one in every way and they just don't want to face that fact.

Tell me, which bone stock GTO went 12.9 in the quarter before?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Tell me, which bone stock GTO went 12.9 in the quarter before?"

Meaningless drivel. Its completely to the benefit of the few 04 owners to ask this BS question. The 04 benefits from almost 40 years of technological advancement.
The old classics can have most of this new technology applied to them. And when you do that, you truly have the best of everything. Adding this new technology is fairly easy. Replacing all the body panels in an attempt to fix the 04 is a whole lot more work. And the 05 aint any better.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom McQueen:

Meaningless drivel. Its completely to the benefit of the few 04 owners to ask this BS question. The 04 benefits from almost 40 years of technological advancement.
The old classics can have most of this new technology applied to them. And when you do that, you truly have the best of everything. Adding this new technology is fairly easy. Replacing all the body panels in an attempt to fix the 04 is a whole lot more work. And the 05 aint any better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meaningless? OK, so don't EVER EVER let me hear you or any other person say that 1/4's of the old one were meaningful ok?

Yea you're right, it does benefit. Imagine if you built a GTO today that didn't take advantage of it. People would bitch and moan then too I guess.

You want retro, go buy a new mustang and be like everyone else on the road that has on and can't tell if it is a 6 banger or a weak V8. You don't ever have to worry about that wtih the GTO.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The old classics can have most of this new technology applied to them. And when you do that, you truly have the best of everything. Adding this new technology is fairly easy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy who's finishing up my '66 GTO just did this to a customer's '63 Vette. The car was in great condition before they pulled it apart to rebuild it with every go fast, handling and comfort upgrade available. The goal was to make it out-accelerate and out-handle yet be as comfortable as a new one. They suceeded and it's an awesome car..........

It better be, since the bill was well over $100K!!!!!!

You can have it all, if you've got the scratch.........

I'll take my '66 for cruising and car shows, but the '04 takes me to work........ The 2 of them still cost less than half of what the 'Vette cost, and I'm not afraid to park the '04 at the airport.........

I enjoy the classics for what they are.... classics. I enjoy the new cars for what they, NEW CARS!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 11-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What part is Chevy and Grand Am and Cavalier? denial is those who know that the new car is 100% than the old one in every way and they just don't want to face that fact.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This car looks like a Cavalier humping a GrandAm. Do your research: It's a Chevy motor. The GM Monaro is a better car than ANY car made 30-40 yrs. ago due to the fact it's a new car in the performance sedan arena. It's just no GT0 and never will be no matter what kind of spin GM puts on it. There is no arguing it's a worthy performance vehicle superior than what one could buy in a similar vehicle 3-4 decades ago. Slapping some badges on it doesn't make it a GTO. It's a Holden Monaro marketed and imported for Pontiac. This will all become all to clear at resale time.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This car looks like a Cavalier humping a GrandAm. Do your research: It's a Chevy motor. The GM Monaro is a better car than ANY car made 30-40 yrs. ago due to the fact it's a new car in the performance sedan arena. It's just no GT0 and never will be no matter what kind of spin GM puts on it. There is no arguing it's a worthy performance vehicle superior than what one could buy in a similar vehicle 3-4 decades ago. Slapping some badges on it doesn't make it a GTO. It's a Holden Monaro marketed and imported for Pontiac. This will all become all to clear at resale time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corkey, again, show me a GM website where it says the LS1 is a Chevrolet motor please.

LOL, Pontiac and GM ARE the ones saying it is a GM. Too bad you don't like it. It is fact. Get over it. Stop being a crybaby about it.

What made the 64 worthy of the GTO badge? Please explain it all to us Corkey.

Who cares about resale value? Hardly any car today has any kind of decent resale value since it is a AUTOMOBILE not a HOUSE or real estate.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
[/QUOTE

What made the 64 worthy of the GTO badge? Please explain it all to us Corkey.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
...What makes the GM Monaro worthy of the GTO badge? Certainly not it's appeal as is evidenced by it's lack of sales. The reaction to the introduction of the GM Monaro as a GTO seems to have had the exact opposite effect that the introduction of the GTO had as an option on the Tempest. To compare the two is an exercise in futality. Let the real GTOs rest in peace and let GM build one that is worthy of the GTO badge: not some half-assed attempt to pass off some import on a fleet design as an icon reborn.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...What makes the GM Monaro worthy of the GTO badge? Certainly not it's appeal as is evidenced by it's lack of sales. The reaction to the introduction of the GM Monaro as a GTO seems to have had the exact opposite effect that the introduction of the GTO had as an option on the Tempest. To compare the two is an exercise in futality. Let the real GTOs rest in peace and let GM build one that is worthy of the GTO badge: not some half-assed attempt to pass off some import on a fleet design as an icon reborn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, Dealers not willing to deal, markup's, competition, many factors on why it wasn't selling. But there are still cars to be had and they will sell 14K of them before the 05's arrive.

Remember, the car was NEVER EVER meant to be mass produced. Hell, it sold more than the last WS6 Trans Am's.

Try to come up with something more original than the Fleet Sale line. Hell if you are going to use that you could use that moniker for the Mustang since a great deal go to Rental Car fleets.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try to come up with something more original than the Fleet Sale line. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell that to your beloved hero Bob Lutz, not me. After all it was his original creativity in the unique and awe inspiring design of the GM Monaro is what inspired it.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

-
Old 11-27-2004, 08:05 PM

So who was the creative genius behind the 74 GTO...or do you consider that to be a "classic"...imagine if the GTO wasn't killed off back then and kept evolving along the the lines of the 74 model until the present day?
When you consider that, the 2004 model doesn't seem so bad after all.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inquisitor:
So who was the creative genius behind the 74 GTO...or do you consider that to be a "classic"...imagine if the GTO wasn't killed off back then and kept evolving along the the lines of the 74 model until the present day?
When you consider that, the 2004 model doesn't seem so bad after all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't consider the 74 a "classic". I think '70 was the last good year for the GTO and only with the Endura Bumper option. I had a 66, 68, 70. Although your comparison with 74 & 04 is a good one: GM taking an ugly car, slapping a GTO badge on it and trying to market it as a GTO. History repeats itself.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:05 PM

LOL!