WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 PM

I just bought an '04 GTO last week, I drove it and was instantly sold. Personally, I think the car is bad ass. Performance is great, but so is the fit and finish. I agree, the GTO badge may have been a poor marketing choice, but otherwise the car in and of itself is quite stunning. GM gives us the car many of us want (affordable,LS 1 V-8, rear drive, 6 speed, coupe) and collectively we say F U to the effort, I don't get it. I'm amazed by how angry some poeple are about a car that delivers the goods where it counts, what's up with that? How about some support for a good first effort? This is the first American car I've ever purchased, so on that front, GM has succeded by keeping me out of the Acura dealership.

On the other hand, I think I've figured it out; this is the first understyled Pontiac product in decades that people outside of the heartland actually like. And for those that actually like the overstyled, plastic body cladding, hood scoop craziness pontiac normally puts out, the new GTO certainly misses the mark. Give it time though, Pontiac will deliver the car all you haters want.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 PM

I just bought an '04 GTO last week, I drove it and was instantly sold. Personally, I think the car is bad ass. Performance is great, but so is the fit and finish. I agree, the GTO badge may have been a poor marketing choice, but otherwise the car in and of itself is quite stunning. GM gives us the car many of us want (affordable,LS 1 V-8, rear drive, 6 speed, coupe) and collectively we say F U to the effort, I don't get it. I'm amazed by how angry some poeple are about a car that delivers the goods where it counts, what's up with that? How about some support for a good first effort? This is the first American car I've ever purchased, so on that front, GM has succeded by keeping me out of the Acura dealership.

On the other hand, I think I've figured it out; this is the first understyled Pontiac product in decades that people outside of the heartland actually like. And for those that actually like the overstyled, plastic body cladding, hood scoop craziness pontiac normally puts out, the new GTO certainly misses the mark. Give it time though, Pontiac will deliver the car all you haters want.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If this your first American car, then it is no wonder why you are confused. Spend a few decades working on the classics and you will understand.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 455HOGT37:
If this your first American car, then it is no wonder why you are confused. Spend a few decades working on the classics and you will understand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've spent over 2 decades working on the classics, and I still bought a new one... Do I understand?

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 11-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm going to buy one also... I think we both understand.

Not that there is any "right or wrong" in it, but a person who has only owned ricers CAN'T understand. That's the difference.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "anger" comes from the folks who think the car doesn't desrve the GTO name. On our side the "anger" comes from the insults received when we argue a point.

Then again this is a forum, most topics in the lobby turn into some sort of a piss contest.

I don't think anybody is really angry just annoyed, well maybe a couple...
Old 11-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm happy. You guys are fun........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not angry. It's amusing to watch the 04 pep squad defend a failure. The generalizations are only too predictable: If you don't like the half-assed effort GM put into ressurecting an icon then you must be some retro troll who wants another boring car with outdated hood scoops, spoilers, etc. Perhaps GM could learn something from the C6 boys...a redesigned icon with enough subtle retro cues that is clearly a winner.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
I'm not angry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What emotion would cause a rational human to register a new user account for the sole purpose of trolling. Jealousy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's amusing to watch the 04 pep squad defend a failure. The generalizations are only too predictable: If you don't like the half-assed effort GM put into ressurecting an icon then you must be some retro troll who wants another boring car with outdated hood scoops, spoilers, etc. Perhaps GM could learn something from the C6 boys...a redesigned icon with enough subtle retro cues that is clearly a winner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get over it. You don't like the new car, great. Go buy a Rustang, since you really seem impressed by it's looks. Those of us in the "pep squad" have valid reasons for being in it, and have not registered new accounts for the sole purpose of trolling. The new GTO has a lot more going for it than not, and has more in common with the classic GTO than differences.

Because you can't get over it's admittedly bland styling is a personal problem that seems to be getting worse.

Kill the new user name, and maybe come up with a new argument, other than styling, to crap on the new GTO. Most of us agree that the styling is bland. NEXT!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We've seen the birth of a new genre of username and usage of it. Trendsetter? I don't think so. Long life expectancy on the boards? I don't think so.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[ Jealousy?

...Jeez, get over yourself dude!! Jealous of what? I'll keep my 740i & my C5 until Pontiac comes up with a real GTO thank you.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nobody is saying the GM Monaro is a bad car. On it's own it's a worthy performance sedan fitting in nicely with the G6, GP, etc. As a GTO it's a failure. The lack of sales prove that. There are those of us who have had GTOs (I've had 3: 66,68,70) that have been patiently waiting for GM to come out with a new GTO and they give us a Monaro???...that looks like a GrandAm???...with a Cavalier back end???...at $30k+???... C'mon GM, for $30k you can do a helluva lot better than that.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]" This is the first American car I've ever purchased"

...where is this car made again?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
Nobody is saying the GM Monaro is a bad car. On it's own it's a worthy performance sedan fitting in nicely with the G6, GP, etc. As a GTO it's a failure. The lack of sales prove that. There are those of us who have had GTOs (I've had 3: 66,68,70) that have been patiently waiting for GM to come out with a new GTO and they give us a Monaro???...that looks like a GrandAm???...with a Cavalier back end???...at $30k+???... C'mon GM, for $30k you can do a helluva lot better than that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, why not post under your usual user name?

I waited a long time for a new GTO as well (I also have had 3 GTOs, 2 '66's and an '04), and was very dissapointed in the looks of the new one. After driving one, it looked a lot better to me, especially with the rebates offered starting in Sept.

Show me ANY car for $30k that, overall, will fit in even close to the same mold as the new GTO. I'll save you the time. There aren't any.

We agree that it should have been called something else.

Next argument.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll keep my 740i & my C5 until Pontiac comes up with a real GTO thank you.

. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally, that explains it all...
Old 11-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll keep my 740i & my C5 until Pontiac comes up with a real GTO thank you.

. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally, that explains it all[/QUOTE]

Yeah that'd be really smart of me to trade in something that actually has some resale value on something that won't.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripower455:
I'm not angry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What emotion would cause a rational human to register a new user account for the sole purpose of trolling. Jealousy?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bland styling is a personal problem that seems to be getting worse.

NEXT![/QUOTE]

...chill out..it's just a car. As far as "NEXT": spoiler yay or nay?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...chill out..it's just a car. As far as "NEXT": spoiler yay or nay?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am done with you troll..........

Old 11-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally, that explains it all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that'd be really smart of me to trade in something that actually has some resale value on something that won't.[/QUOTE]

The point being, why would anyone trade in a 740i or Vette for a GTO?
Old 11-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripower455:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...chill out..it's just a car. As far as "NEXT": spoiler yay or nay?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am done with you troll.......... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh c'mon...it was just getting fun. So if Lutz pulls his head out and decides that the 04 GM Monaro was a disaster as a GTO does that make HIM a troll too?? If the designers @ GM put some retro cues on because they think it needs it does that make them trolls? I'm so glad we have you people in the 04 Glee Club to let us know how mistaken we are for not falling all over ourselves for the 2004 GM Monaro.