WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After all the bickering and negative talk about the NEW GTO, I concluded that any further posting to such senseless bashing was useless.
After all, Pontiac did introduce this car as the "NEW GTO" not the "OLD GTO"

Then all of a sudden it hit me like a train!!! We ten thousand or so buyers of this fine car owe much gratitude to the Haters and Bashers. Without their hard work and untiring efforts we would have had to pay full sticker or more. Thanks to them a multitude of potential buyers were disuaded and dealers were worried they would have to take big losses to rid their lots of these cars "nobody wanted". Their relentless bashing and dedicated attention to " ugly car , Not a GTO" enabled us to acquire a fantastic car at a fantastic price. Thanks to their efforts many would-be-satisfied owners will be driving Fords.

Every time I turn that key, hear that growl, feel the acceleration, I am reminded that I owe it all to you. I am eternally grateful.

TO Goathead: I withdraw my comment about the '65 being ugly. I, too, owned a 65 and next to the '70-'72, it is my favorite. And, no, I don't have any "issues", except with people who feel their preference is the standard for everyone. Believe it or not, there are people who find your '65 BLAND. I or the other ten thousand or so owners of this car are not "NOBODY" (Nobody wants this car as indicated by sales). We are people just like you whose preferences happen to differ from yours and those who share your view. Obviously if we have the means to acquire the GTO, many other alternatives are within our reach. So please just accept the fact that styling is subjective and preference is an individual choice. Every time I see one on the street, (and I see many in the ST. Louis METRO) I look, but fail to see what you find so unattractive about it. But if you don't like it, that's fine with me. I don't hate you for it. But like it or not it IS a "NEW GTO"

TO TOM V: Until your second-to-last November 28th post,(under another topic), I was seriously contemplating if you were a troll. But the referenced post put your view into perspective and I can respect and appreciate that. While the "not made in the USA" theme holds some merit, I am happier that a car I like is here than I am unhappy about where it's built. Yes I do own three , now four Pontiacs, hence the Pont3 moniker. '71, (2)'72's and '04 currently and previously a '65. Personally, I have always LIKED Mustangs(owned a '65 A-code) and even test drove a few of the later models. Just don't seem to whet my appetite. Is it faster than the NEW GTO? I couldn't care less. I think you will find that, overall, the "Current" GTO buyer is substantially different from the Mustang buyer. It's a different class of car. Some will be overly concerned about which car is fractionally quicker but the vast majority will not. Pontiac provided us with a car that met our wants, needs, and desires and we bought it. It really doesn't matter to us who sells the most cars or which car retains the higher resale value. I have a car I am very satisfied with, and that's a statement I haven't been able to make in a long, long time. The new Mustang looks sharp and I will enjoy looking at every one I see on the street. I enjoy looking the the NEW GTO in MY garage. Anyway, thanks for your informative and insightful posts.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After all the bickering and negative talk about the NEW GTO, I concluded that any further posting to such senseless bashing was useless.
After all, Pontiac did introduce this car as the "NEW GTO" not the "OLD GTO"

Then all of a sudden it hit me like a train!!! We ten thousand or so buyers of this fine car owe much gratitude to the Haters and Bashers. Without their hard work and untiring efforts we would have had to pay full sticker or more. Thanks to them a multitude of potential buyers were disuaded and dealers were worried they would have to take big losses to rid their lots of these cars "nobody wanted". Their relentless bashing and dedicated attention to " ugly car , Not a GTO" enabled us to acquire a fantastic car at a fantastic price. Thanks to their efforts many would-be-satisfied owners will be driving Fords.

Every time I turn that key, hear that growl, feel the acceleration, I am reminded that I owe it all to you. I am eternally grateful.

TO Goathead: I withdraw my comment about the '65 being ugly. I, too, owned a 65 and next to the '70-'72, it is my favorite. And, no, I don't have any "issues", except with people who feel their preference is the standard for everyone. Believe it or not, there are people who find your '65 BLAND. I or the other ten thousand or so owners of this car are not "NOBODY" (Nobody wants this car as indicated by sales). We are people just like you whose preferences happen to differ from yours and those who share your view. Obviously if we have the means to acquire the GTO, many other alternatives are within our reach. So please just accept the fact that styling is subjective and preference is an individual choice. Every time I see one on the street, (and I see many in the ST. Louis METRO) I look, but fail to see what you find so unattractive about it. But if you don't like it, that's fine with me. I don't hate you for it. But like it or not it IS a "NEW GTO"

TO TOM V: Until your second-to-last November 28th post,(under another topic), I was seriously contemplating if you were a troll. But the referenced post put your view into perspective and I can respect and appreciate that. While the "not made in the USA" theme holds some merit, I am happier that a car I like is here than I am unhappy about where it's built. Yes I do own three , now four Pontiacs, hence the Pont3 moniker. '71, (2)'72's and '04 currently and previously a '65. Personally, I have always LIKED Mustangs(owned a '65 A-code) and even test drove a few of the later models. Just don't seem to whet my appetite. Is it faster than the NEW GTO? I couldn't care less. I think you will find that, overall, the "Current" GTO buyer is substantially different from the Mustang buyer. It's a different class of car. Some will be overly concerned about which car is fractionally quicker but the vast majority will not. Pontiac provided us with a car that met our wants, needs, and desires and we bought it. It really doesn't matter to us who sells the most cars or which car retains the higher resale value. I have a car I am very satisfied with, and that's a statement I haven't been able to make in a long, long time. The new Mustang looks sharp and I will enjoy looking at every one I see on the street. I enjoy looking the the NEW GTO in MY garage. Anyway, thanks for your informative and insightful posts.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my comment about the '65 being ugly. I, too, owned a 65 and next to the '70-'72,...Believe it or not, there are people who find your '65 BLAND. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again I renew my comment about your observation of the '65: Calling the '65 ugly and the '70-'72 good looking is like calling RoseAnn Barr a supermodel and Carmen Electra ugly. However there is no law in this country against being attracted to fat chicks and bland looking poser Australian import automobiles. I'm glad myself and others were able to help you save a few bucks on your 2004 GM Monaro.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, Whatza Monaro, I do not dig fat chicks but I have nothing against them as they are people too. My wife of 24 years is 5' 4" and 117lbs.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
Once again I renew my comment about your observation of the '65: Calling the '65 ugly and the '70-'72 good looking is like calling RoseAnn Barr a supermodel and Carmen Electra ugly. However there is no law in this country against being attracted to fat chicks and bland looking poser Australian import automobiles. I'm glad myself and others were able to help you save a few bucks on your 2004 GM Monaro. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha... troll.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whatza monaro??:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my comment about the '65 being ugly. I, too, owned a 65 and next to the '70-'72,...Believe it or not, there are people who find your '65 BLAND. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again I renew my comment about your observation of the '65: Calling the '65 ugly and the '70-'72 good looking is like calling RoseAnn Barr a supermodel and Carmen Electra ugly. However there is no law in this country against being attracted to fat chicks and bland looking poser Australian import automobiles. I'm glad myself and others were able to help you save a few bucks on your 2004 GM Monaro. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember, straight home to mommie for your daily....
Old 12-05-2004, 11:32 PM

Hey, words of wisdom from a man who "gets it", pont3! I've only owned one other Pontiac product in my life & I bought it because my wife liked it - but I have to say I (& she) had a great time with it ('00 Trans Am flop-top w/6spd). Almost laughably antiquated in dynamics compared to my '92 SVX that preceeded it, except for acceleration of course - the 5.7 is one of God's finest creations brought forth through the hands of man.

The NEW GTO, on the other hand, is just a fantastic ride for the money! Not a GTO? Okay, & I guess that 747 just isn't a Boeing product either, as a whole bunch of folks all over the world put a lot of that good engineering together somewhere other than the U.S.of A. But then a lot of folks retain laughably quaint ideas about industries that have been multinational in scope for many many moons. Guys, I hate to break it to you - Holden has been part of GM for years, and just as your beloved GTO's of yesteryear shared much of their engineering with other cars across GM's divisions (it's really difficult to say they were so "uniquely" individual, eh?), the new GTO just happens to also share much of its engineering with other GM products, in this case the products of the Holden division. It's a great car, guys. In fact I'll say, as a total package, it's head and shoulders above anything that's worn the GTO badge EVER! It represents EXACTLY what I like in a car, including the styling which eschews the present trendy tendency towards the almost comic book "transformer on wheels" meets "retro-incarnation" decorated with some of the most overdone "jewelbox" light fixtures I could ever have imagined being hung on road-going vehicles since oil lanterns!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

You are quite welcome. I am glad you are happy with your Holden, I really am...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg