WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a 34 year owner of a 69 GTO convertible
and an owner of a 2001 Ram Air Trans Am, like
many people I scoffed at the new GTO when it came out. (Looks like a Honda) Last weekend
our car club did a display at our local Pontiac
dealer and my GTO was on the showroom floor next to an 04 model. The manager of the dealership really liked my car and offered to let
me take their yellow 04 GTO on a long test drive. To make a long story short, I was very impressed with the 04 GTO. Once you drive the car, you forget all about how it looks on the outside! I would say this to anyone who criticizes the new GTO....you probably have not driven it! It drives much nicer than my 2001
T/A, and the build quality is light years ahead of the Firebird, and it actually looks like you could work on this car without dropping the engine out the bottom! Consider me converted!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a 34 year owner of a 69 GTO convertible
and an owner of a 2001 Ram Air Trans Am, like
many people I scoffed at the new GTO when it came out. (Looks like a Honda) Last weekend
our car club did a display at our local Pontiac
dealer and my GTO was on the showroom floor next to an 04 model. The manager of the dealership really liked my car and offered to let
me take their yellow 04 GTO on a long test drive. To make a long story short, I was very impressed with the 04 GTO. Once you drive the car, you forget all about how it looks on the outside! I would say this to anyone who criticizes the new GTO....you probably have not driven it! It drives much nicer than my 2001
T/A, and the build quality is light years ahead of the Firebird, and it actually looks like you could work on this car without dropping the engine out the bottom! Consider me converted!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I recently sold my blown '01 Formula, I had '05 GTO in mind. I haven't driven one yet, but all the bitching on PY about them made me think they must be pretty good!

Mike M
Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The more I drive mine, the better it looks......

I replaced an '01 Formula with the GTO, and have no regrets.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"you forget all about how it looks on the outside"
Great quote.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rock and roll on your post and welcome to the club!

However, drive it awhile and you'll see although you may not like the exterior that much the rest of the world seems to love it. I had to go down to The Ohio State University yesterday and was shocked by the attention I got. I had kids stopping me in the middle of the street, that is good for Pontiac.

DJ, keep wasting your time it doesn't bother us.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel this valuable service is needed. Hate to see so much money wasted.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 11-11-2004, 08:06 PM

when you think about it. isn't the real reason for getting a car because you like how it is when you drive it. If it was all about looks we would all be driving the same cars. and for those import guys that are talking ****. isn't the whole reason behind an import is that it has hidden un defined power. the GTO is the same way. every one talks about the power but also at the same time every one is calling it ****. but it is a great car. i have driven one and for the price. it is a great deal. if that's not what you want then thats ok. just dont talk **** unless you have driven one. it is a awsome travel car that will make you smile when you need to get on the gas. take it for what it is or leave it, but go your own way and have fun with your own cars instead of bull****ting
Old 11-13-2004, 04:36 PM

well said.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well gohip, I've driven one, I'm likely buying one, and I'll still talk ***** about it... Is that OK with you?

Being a newbe and all, you have not yet figured out that we like to argue here. It's fun! If you see a topic that somehow offends your apparently overly sensitive disposition, then I suggest that you follow your own advice and don't reply to it.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:39 AM

I will offer my own thoughts on this. I thought the same way as many of the know it alls on this board about the new goat. That is until I drove one! This car is so much better that you could imagine. Yes, Dorothy you can have it all :-) Tremendous power, safety, comfort, and the knowledge that you could drive this thing anywhere in almost any kind of weather and not worry about your precious paint job or engine detail or whatever. Drive the hell out of this car and trade it in a year or two for a new one- they will only get better! If the old goats are so great (and they are!) then why do we spend so much time and money buying aftermarket wheels, suspension parts, engines, etc...? And, why doesn't this same mentality apply to the new goat? There is probably not a car made that suits anyone perfectly- we all want to make it better. I guess my point is that the new gto is closer than most of us really want to admit to!