WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
In conclusion, the '64 GTO _could_ be found with the most poowerfull Pontiac motor availiable, thanks for the help guy's....

PS: Champ, you are correct sir. The #'s I posted were for the '65 GTO, not the '64, my oversite....but it could still be had with the 421...LOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Danny

With all due respect, if your talking about an engine installed after the fact, a '64 Tempest could have had a more powerful motor than what was put in a Royal Bobcat GTO...

Not saying it did happen, but it could have.

I think we should stay with factory installed equipment in this discussion...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think we should stay with factory installed equipment in this discussion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Champ, what about the Pontiac GTO built to race the Ferrari GTO.....that was factory installed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
Come on Champ, what about the Pontiac GTO built to race the Ferrari GTO.....that was factory installed... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When did Milt start working at the factory???

My understanding is Milt put that engine in at Royal. I could be wrong, but I think I'm right...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When did Milt start working at the factory??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess when the factory wanted to beat a Ferarri....

Old 12-23-2004, 03:14 PM

So let me get this straight. There are some people who are upset because the world has changed in the last 40 years? Evolutionary styling from FORTY years ago is the issue here?

Sheesh, I'll just get a 2005 Pontiac/Holden GTO/Monaro coupe. Whatever it's called and whether it came by boat, train or semi, it's a helluva car. Period.

You want drive a relic? Go ahead. I'll take a modern car that turns corners and stops just as well as it gets damn near 13 flat in the quarter mile.

If all you 04+ haters want some company, go find some Dodge message boards and recycle your comments. Just fill in "05 Charger" instead of "04 GTO" and make sure to add the very original complaint about it having two too many doors.

I'm sure that car in its hemi iteration will be a very credible, comfortable, fast car, able to run along side the likes of the "GTO" and "new" Mustang.

Hey, are all the Mustang board guys pissing and moaning because the 05 looks too retro and denigrates the beloved memories of their old rods?
Old 12-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Evolutionary styling from FORTY years ago <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlz,
I think the issue is that there was no evolution. Like the Dodo bird, the GTO became extinct in 1974 (the Dodo actually became extinct in 1681). Once extinct, always extinct. I think that if they imported the car (interesting how many people chastise imports on this board, but the new GTO is an import), and called it anything else, this board would probably only get activity from '04 owners. Now what fun would that be? This is the most entertaining board on PY (probably not the most informative, but certainly the most fun to read).
Old 12-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the GTO became extinct in 1974 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clarify myself, I meant the GTO that was concocted by John DeLorean. Other manufacturers have used the same moniker, though I don't know if any of them (aside from Ferrari) ever actually homologated the car for a particular class. Pontiac calling the new GTO is just as much marketing as it was in 1964. Neither was/is truly homologated, from a purist’s perspective.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:35 AM

Let me start by saying I have a 1967 GTO which I have owned for 18 years. I am a huge GTO fan always have been. GTO's have been in my family as long as I can remember.

I am very upset at the complete negativity toward the '04-'05 Goats. If you don't like the looks you don't like the looks, but why all the hating? If you don't like it than stay in the appropriate forums and let the '04 owners create a positive enviroment for their love of the new goat.

I am sure there are many GTO owners of certain years which don't care for other years, but I don't see them running to the other forums to basically act like trolls? For example I don't care for the 73 or 74 GTO's but I would never go into their forum to tell them whats wrong with their goats. They like it and thats all that matters. I still appreciate that they are goats for whatever reason, they still seem like family.

The new GTO in my opinion is a great car. It doesn't jump at out you, but did our classics jump out in 1964,1965, 1966, and so on? It was a car which for all purposes looked like the many cars on the road in those years. They jump out NOW thats for sure! If you're still upset that pontiac doesn't have its own V8 or that the car is not built on US soil, than you definetly need to stay in the classic forums. The original Pontiac V8 (as wonderful as it was) is not coming back and in this global economy manufacturing happens all over the globe!

I love our classic GTOs, but give the new goat its dues its a great car built with the same ideas which made ours great. Now let the '04 owners enjoy their forum instead of forcing them out.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

Well said, llorca.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by racerboy:
Charlz,
I think the issue is that there was no evolution. Like the Dodo bird, the GTO became extinct in 1974 (the Dodo actually became extinct in 1681). Once extinct, always extinct. I think that if they imported the car (interesting how many people chastise imports on this board, but the new GTO _is_ an import), and called it anything else, this board would probably only get activity from '04 owners. Now what fun would that be? This is the most entertaining board on PY (probably not the most informative, but certainly the most fun to read).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all...

The GTO is being built on a shared GM chassis of a car that was originally built on the same shared chassis as the GTO.

Looks like evolution is coming full circle as the GTO comes back with a direct evolutionary chassis from Australia - just like the original migrated to Australia many years ago, the new one returns "home".

As to the "extinct" comment...

So the Corvette is extinct?

You do realize that the Corvette was not produced for sale in 1983, don't you. Chevy did build a few, but they were never sold to the public.

Bottom line, cars are not living objects. Manufacturers can, and will, bring back names when ever they choose to do so.

There is the Ford 500 and Thunderbird, the Dodge Magnum and Charger, the Chrysler 300, the Chevy Impala, Malibu, and Monte Carlo...

Pontiac brought back the GTO. They kept it a V8 RWD muscle car. The brought it back and it is one of the fastest, best handling cars available in the US.

I would rather put my '64 GTO alongside an '04 GTO than a Chevy guy with a vintage Malibu muscle car would put his car alongside an '04 Malibu with a 4 banger.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ,
I believe you misinterpreted the point of that post, or perhaps I was not as lucid as I should have been. I was simply stating to Charlz that nobody was questioning the abilities of the new GTO, rather, just that the linking back to the original cars bothered some. I have no problem with Pontiac calling the new import a 'GTO'. They can call it whatever they like. I don't care. I’m sure it’s a fine car.

I agree that using the word ‘extinct’ is inappropriate for inanimate objects, but then so is the use of the word ‘evolution’. Just as they don’t go ‘extinct’, cars do not ‘evolve’. They are simply re-engineered. So we shouldn’t say that the new GTO is a natural evolution from the original, rather, we should say its engineering follows the same principles that were set forth in 1964.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The brought it back and it is one of the fastest, best handling cars available in the US. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I think you would have to qualify this statement and say, "the fastest, best-handling car in the price range." There are plenty of cars available in the US that can beat the new GTO in all performance aspects, but they are nowhere nearly as affordable.

I do have a question for the ’04 owners. Can you really put adults (6’ 200 lb.) in the back seat? I’m not being facetious, it’s a genuine question that hopefully will garner an objective response.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I do have a question for the ’04 owners. Can you really put adults (6’ 200 lb.) in the back seat? I’m not being facetious, it’s a genuine question that hopefully will garner an objective response <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The reason for this question is that in the next year I will be looking for a daily driver and the new GTO is on my list, but I do need something with a real back seat. Porsche tells me the 911 seats four adults, but that's just some German pipe dream. I have sat in the rear seat of an M3 and it is relatively comfortable. Of course, whatever car I purchase, I won't be the one in the back seat.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 187 and 5'11" and I sat in the back with no problem. The back has nice comfy buckets too.
The only issue is getting in. The seats have a power feature that takes a while to get the seat forward and then you have to be able to contour yourself into the car. But that is the same with any 2 door car.

The seat function is the real issue. Dumb feature if you ask me.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
I'm 187 and 5'11" and I sat in the back with no problem. The back has nice comfy buckets too.
The only issue is getting in. The seats have a power feature that takes a while to get the seat forward and then you have to be able to contour yourself into the car. But that is the same with any 2 door car.

The seat function is the real issue. Dumb feature if you ask me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am 6'2 and agree that getting INTO the back seats is the only issue. I have sat in the back seat of my car and it is comfortable.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by racerboy:
Well, I think you would have to qualify this statement and say, "the fastest, best-handling car in the price range." There are plenty of cars available in the US that can beat the new GTO in all performance aspects, but they are nowhere nearly as affordable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think my statement (and I knew exactly what I was saying when I posted it) is entirely accurate.

It is one of the fastest, best handling cars in available in the U.S, regardless of price.

For everyone one you can point to that is better, I can point to 10 - 20 that are worse. Most of them much worse.

When you put the cost into the equation, it eliminates virtually all other vehicles though.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but did our classics jump out in 1964,1965, 1966, and so on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must disagree on that one. From the '65 and up until maybe 1969, you definatly knew what it was ....

Old 12-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need constant access to the back seats, do not buy this car! My kids would just jump through the middle but now all of this crap on the ground ends up on my seats so I have to move the seat forward and it is a royal pain! Please fix this for 06 GM! Luckily I only need to haul the kids around occasionally...
Old 12-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LLorca, you're a troll ...... how dare you come on here and try to interject logic that's contrary to that of the vocal minority!

But seriously now.......

The back seat is actually pretty comfortable. Llorca's been in the back of mine, and he's a pretty big guy. We had 3 big guys (and one not so big guy) in it that day. The other guy is well over 6' and had plenty of room.

I'm also a pretty big guy, and I've been crawling in and out of the back while installing my aftermarket radio, and the hardest part for me is getting out of it! Getting in is OK.

The electric seats are a bit of a PIA, but once the kids are trained on it's use, it's not so bad. My 7 year old son used to always get in the back on the driver's side in my Formula, and it's taken a bit to train him to use the other side (where he or my daughter can move the seat back). Manual reversion for the seats would be a nice option, but they are not THAT slow, once you get used to them. I would not recommend this car for anyone using a car seat! It's really a pain to get stuff in and out of the back, and I can't imagine lifting a child in there on a regular basis.

Llorca, let's go check out your '67 in your '04... You did find one, right?

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 12-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr_GTO,
Thanks for the feedback on the rear seat.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

May not be slow down there in Naples but it is SLOW here in snow country! I've started having my 5 year old sit in the passenger seat and then take his shoes off and jump in the back. That seems to be faster than the seat!