67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68 Firebird convert.

Going to look at a 68 convert. I have a 67 GTO that I restored from ground up but no nothing about the Firebird.
Need info on how to I’d . Is it a Firebird. The windshield I’d starts with 22367.
Add says it is a 400 with automatic
Issues
Rust issues.
Any info would be great
Thanks 428goat

Old 03-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/68codes.htm

you want engine code YT if the original block. your last 8 of the Vin would be stamped on the front of the block by where the water pump radiator hose connects. That is the best way to know with 100% confidence you have a number match motor.

Biggest issues to look for is rusted frame rails, trunk and floor.. pretty basic stuff.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

1stgenfb. . Thanks for the info. Pictures of car look good. Will go and see it later this week.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenFB View Post
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/68codes.htm

you want engine code YT if the original block. your last 8 of the Vin would be stamped on the front of the block by where the water pump radiator hose connects. That is the best way to know with 100% confidence you have a number match motor.

Biggest issues to look for is rusted frame rails, trunk and floor.. pretty basic stuff.
When I was looking for a 400 engine to go with my restoration project, I ran across some people who offered to stamp the engine to make it a "number matching" car and the stamping looked legit, at least to me. It's unfortunate really thinking how many people who may have fell for this and paid a premium for a "number matching". Thats when I said screw it and bought a 68 400 non firebird code engine for my 67.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsleeper View Post
When I was looking for a 400 engine to go with my restoration project, I ran across some people who offered to stamp the engine to make it a "number matching" car and the stamping looked legit, at least to me. It's unfortunate really thinking how many people who may have fell for this and paid a premium for a "number matching". Thats when I said screw it and bought a 68 400 non firebird code engine for my 67.
I agree. If it's not a trailer queen, numbers matching doesn't really mean much. My 69 350HO convert has a NM trans and it's missing the NM engine. I don't have to pay for date codes and am going to convert it to a 4-speed.

What to look for is rust. Rust is the most expensive thing to fix. I'd rather have a solid Arizona/California car without a drivetrain than a running rust bucket.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the help guys. Looked at the convert and did not get it. He wanted 20k. Trunk was gone, etc, etc, looked good in the pictures. Oh well.