WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What should an 04 GTO run at the track? A guy in town said his is bad ass and run 12's ok I really believe that.
I ask him to run me light to light or go to the track together. He was not interested in either
he said he had a dirty air cleaner. another time said he had bad gas so it wasn't running right. ok

There is a woman at the track with one last week. Not as fast as I thought they would be from all the hype. she had a 14.55 dial and didn't cover it.
From the BSD site " Michelle Stahl in her `04 GTO fell in the second round of Street Auto to Rob MacDonald's Chevelle when she couldn't cover her 14.55 dial." first run was a 14.57 next was a 14.69.
That is a respectable time I guess for a street car.

Question 1: Is that average for one? I thought car & driver said they were mid 13's cars.

2: I didn't think 04's had hood scoops & tail spoiler.

Anyone know??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	o4_GTO.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	18802  
*SOLD * 1971 LeMans street car, 428ci TH350 3:31 12 bolt, 3880#,13.6 @ 101.82 Show & go

1964 Tempest work in progress 400 with Tremec 5 speed

1967 LeMans drop top project. I tracked down my great grand father & dad's old car.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are 13's bone stock. However that LS6 motor in a Stock Eliminator Trans AM will run 9's in Stock Eliminator trim. A good tuner, different cam but to factory type specs, tires, gears, it would go deep into the 12's in my opinion.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well from what I saw at the POCI race At Atlanta Dragway the '04 GTO couldn't even handle my '01 GTP. Best run was 14.5 for the GTO. My best run was 14.3
Its all on tape and I will try and post them some. Having a problem with my ISP right and it won't upload my file correctly.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Yes, as Ron said most are mid 13's stock. They also seem to dyno around 285 to 295 stock as well.

However, if you take a bone stock 04 or 05 GTO, add a 3600 converter and mickey radials you will run mid 12's at a normal track/Alt.

Headers, Cam and PnP and it you can run low 11's to high 10's depending on the cam and heads.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinInjun:
Well from what I saw at the POCI race At Atlanta Dragway the '04 GTO couldn't even handle my '01 GTP. Best run was 14.5 for the GTO. My best run was 14.3
Its all on tape and I will try and post them some. Having a problem with my ISP right and it won't upload my file correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was there. He is totally correct. There were 2 '04s and an '05 which has the 400hp motor and none of them ran faster than a mid 14.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There were 2 '04s and an '05 which has the 400hp motor and none of them ran faster than a mid 14. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That kinda sucks....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine at the Southern Nationals ran two mid 13s , but mainly low 14s, a 14.8 @ 99.5mph. 3950lbs on their scale. 282 on a Dynojet chassis dyno. The computer pulls all kinds of timing out with heat and other "torque management" issues. Why the computer tunes can make a big difference even on a stock one.

Hard to run brackets not knowing if it will be a 13.5 run or a 14.80 run!
1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goathead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There were 2 '04s and an '05 which has the 400hp motor and none of them ran faster than a mid 14. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That kinda sucks.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those times are NOT typical of what they will run.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3 cars running mid 14s sound pretty consistent to me. Maybe 1 or 2 would be not typical. They were launching fairly decent and didn't seem to have any traction issues.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bonneville Joe:
3 cars running mid 14s sound pretty consistent to me. Maybe 1 or 2 would be not typical. They were launching fairly decent and didn't seem to have any traction issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What were the conditions at the track?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:26 AM

I recall Goatseeker telling us that almost everyone was off 3 or 4 tenths.

But as Skip said, with the heat the GTO's stock computer pulls enough timing out to choke a horse. They are a mid 13 sec car, the autos are slower, but the 6 speed needs a good driver to make it quicker than the auto...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Senior Chief

They do run mid-low 13's stock. As with any car though, track times depend on the driver, track conditions and temperature. Heat soak and Torque Management can have a big effect as well.

LS1GTO.com Top ETs

As for the car pictured, it's got the Special Appearance Package which for '04 consisted of recessed front grills, different spoiler and hood with scoops.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like this guy was a poser, with a bone stock '04 GTO. I haven't seen or read about any of them yet that run in the 13's...but have seen plenty that run 14's (which to me, is pathetic for this type of car in the year 2004).

Even still, wouldn't take much tweaking to get them to run 13's or 12's and still be able to drive everyday and get decent mileage.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Brian, that's not true!!! Chris will tell you they can do 12's with the wind blowing behind them. Don't you know they are the best GTO ever?!?!?

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pierced mikey:
Brian, that's not true!!! Chris will tell you they can do 12's with the wind blowing behind them. Don't you know they are the best GTO ever?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris is so overzealous where the new GTO is concerned, that he can't see it for its faults, few they may be.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 PM

There's more than a few, but there is a lot of good points too...

Will I ever buy one? Probably not.
But it does have one heck of a motor...
You just need to know what to do with it.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, the entire drivetrain AND chassis in the GTO is pretty sweet. It just suffers from lackluster styling, and lackluster performance (which it shouldn't in performance).
Old 07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was slight overcast in the high 80s. Not sure what the humidity was. Typical summer in the south weather. Most of the runs came when it got a little more cloudy with an approaching storm. And the wind was blowing from Souteast to Northwest (pushing the cars)..
Old 07-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Density alt was 4200 ft that day and we all had to run under the same conditions. There were two GTP's there that would have handled the GTO's with no problem. Can the GTO run quicker, yup, but it doesn't look good when a 231 ci V-6 can hold its own against 5.7 and 6.0 liter V-8. The GTP's have the same computer problems that the GTO's have so the point is mute on that.
I was there for the HPP shoot out also. The GTO's couldn't run faster than 14.5s that day eigher. Should make for some good reading in HPP it they put it in the mag. Needless to say I wasn't impressed.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you, David, for maintaining a sense of reason and at least acknowledging the car for what it is.

I have but one question. Why is it that every thread started on this car always, and I mean ALWAYS result with the haters and NON-OWNERS chiming in and (1) ruining a legitimate inquiry, and (2) disputing everything the OWNERS state? The haters see a car run, have no idea who is driving it, and reply in disbelief to an actual owner stating his own personal experience with HIS car.

Will it ever END? If you don't like the car, fine. But why are you so interested in ruining every single thread? Do you feel anyone is interested in your childish response? I seriously doubt it.

A few months ago you were constantly babling about how certain mags gave another car the nod over the GTO. Well, those same mags ALL saw sub-14 second times, and many of them mid-13 second.

Believe whatever you want. But until you are piloting this fine machine your views are purely speculative.

You love whatever it is YOU drive and we don't make vane attempts to destroy your excitement and thrill. So why do you continue to attack ours? Then again, if you think mid to high 14s is typical of 400hp, I understand. You are truly lost.

By the way, I owned a GTP and TRUST me, the GOAT will WASTE any stock GTP.