Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default th 400 fluid leak

I have a leak on my th 400 it seems to be coming from where the shift lever arm goes into the case. Is this a common leak point and what's the best fix?
I thought the leak was coming from the pan gasket or speedo hub, they were both replaced with new seals. now it seems to leak more than before. Any help would be great

Old 06-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Bad O ring behind it.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Bad O ring behind it.or the O ring on the speed ometer.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since you replaced the Speedo seal I would say that it's a bad oli lip seal on the shift lever

Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I have to get inside the pan again to get the shaft out to replace the o-ring?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

I am having the same issue. I have replaced the tranny pan gasket, the small speedometer gear O ring and speedometer cluster O ring, new speedometer cable too and it is still leaking. I did check for cracks in the aluminum speedometer cluster and found none.

My question is this. When pulling out the speedomenter cluster should fluid come out if the car is level? I remember trying to set the speedometer gearing right for car a long time ago and I was able to swap it out on the road with no fluid coming out. Does my tranny have to much fluid in it possibly? I drained it completely and added 4 quarts to it. I read some where that a drained 400 will take 3.75 quarts to fill up. The torque converter was not drained.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

vol, a good source told me that you should be able to pull the speedo out with the fluid not drained. you might lose a little but nothing to make a big mess. By the way I think mine is leaking from the seal at the converter. Fluid runs down the converter and blows back onto the pan. With the flywheel cover on, it caught the fluid and left a six inch puddle when stopped after a ride. It doesn't leak at all when it is just sitting.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Chief

I plan to start the whole process over with a new kit. I know the front and rear seals are good. I will replace the shift lever seal, pan gasket and the two O rings in the speedometer, add in fluid and watch it for 4 hours to see if I get a drip. BETTER NOT this time around.