Old 11-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

As far as I know 68 was the last year for the sedans. What was weird was that I was looking for a 62 or a 64 when I ran across this one, I honestly didn't know they made a 68. When I went to look at it, it wasn't love at first sight, I mean that front end is so butt ugly, but the miles and the condition just wouldn't let me take a pass.

The guy had had it for 15 years, it ran bad, he said he put in new plugs when he bought it. When I got it home I shorted out the plugs and found that number 6 wasn't firing. Pulled the plug, had about a .002" gap that had carboned up and shorted. So the guy had changed plugs, but had probably dropped one and closed up the gap, drove it for a while running on 8 and then drove it missing and banging for 14 years, go figure. Before I pulled the motor I put a few miles on it, I know the timing chains were a problem and was hoping it would make it till I started, nope, cleaned the cam gear, thought hell, had two more weeks of decent weather yet, so I put in a new timing set.

Jim, the white sedan has changed hands at least twice since the Sgt, down there in Fla had it, that car is really nice, but I wouldn't want it with the A/C.

The racetrack is 12 miles away and IS one of the reasons we moved up here. They do a wed nite deal for the locals occcasionally, but I never made it out, built a new 40x80 bldg, and that ate the whole summer. Will make some laps next summer, maybe even with the Cat, won't ever run like your car, but hope to get it in the 13's, I have your pic as one of my screen savers, can just about hear that thing grunt when that picture flashes !!! If I get to Fla this winter will try and hook up with you if thats possible.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Love that '68! Is it Meridian Turquiose? I'd drive that over most GTOs in a heart beat but, too clean a car to be a daily driver for me. Enjoy it.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mnfatcat: With that stroker motor and 3.42 rear I would bet that you'll be in the low 13s
easily. But launching a 4 speed Darksider is a whole new challenge in itself !!
But it has to be an absolute ball to sassshay thru the gears !!
I had heard that the white sedan had changed hands more than a poker player; I think I heard it ended up in texas but not sure about that.
You have an absolute drop-dead gorgeous sedan there. I didn't much care for the 68s until I saw that white one - now I want one too !!They just look so different from the hardtops. You will really have fun with that one.
Thanks for the props on my 65 Cat. My son [who drives the car at the track] and I are having a lot of fun surprising other racers at the track. Still working on the chassis tune a bit. Expect to be in the 10.5Xs over the fall/winter.
If you ever make it down to the sunny shores of Florida from the frozen tundra of 10,000 lakes be sure to give me a shout out and we'll hook up.

Great score on your 68, I'm envious.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '65 on e-bay now

Thought I'd bring the post car post back to the top to let you post car guys know about this one on e-bay.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...item27cbd01883
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 post.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	300166  

Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow - not bad at all. Almost glad that it is all the way across the country from me as that eases the temptation to bid on it or go look at it.
Thanks for the post.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.