Old 05-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshort420 View Post
After having heard everyone's advice, I think that I may stick with the original plan, and simply throw the parts on that I have already, get everything dialed in, feel it out, and then possibly proceed to have the heads reworked and upgrade the cam down the road as advised.

I am going to stay optimistic that the 1406 Edelbrock will be ok for this application. Hopefully it won't require too much work to get lined up with my existing linkage.

I will post a report after that work is done, and put some pictures up as well.

Thanks for everyone's two cents. I feel much more confident going into this now.

Luke
Good plan. If I had a 2bbl 389 I would do EXACTLY the same mods as you, thought about it many a night. Forget the heads and cam for now, wait until the motor has major issues down the line or until you get "bored" with the power.

And yes, those headers could be considered more than you need at this stage, but it is the framework for a great setup in the future, no matter how mild you plan on staying. They will also give you a much more pleasing exhaust note. Nobody will ever fault you for adding headers (unless they have had a nasty header leak), those or HO manifolds are on the checklist for top 10 bang for the buck mods.

Post a before and after exhaust clip!

Old 05-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJacobo View Post
Good plan. If I had a 2bbl 389 I would do EXACTLY the same mods as you, thought about it many a night. Forget the heads and cam for now, wait until the motor has major issues down the line or until you get "bored" with the power.

And yes, those headers could be considered more than you need at this stage, but it is the framework for a great setup in the future, no matter how mild you plan on staying. They will also give you a much more pleasing exhaust note. Nobody will ever fault you for adding headers (unless they have had a nasty header leak), those or HO manifolds are on the checklist for top 10 bang for the buck mods.

Post a before and after exhaust clip!
Thanks KingJacobo, will do. I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would just do the exhaust and leave the top end stock, but that is just me. Any pics of the car?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 AM

whats the going rate for a carter 3649s?

i see a reman one on ebay for $300+....is that fair or a rape?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
I would just do the exhaust and leave the top end stock, but that is just me. Any pics of the car?
Why leave the top end stock? Would it not be better to increase the intake air flow and fuel in order to allow it to really breathe?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Because I don't think it will make much difference changing intakes/carbs. Think of a motor as a big air pump and a stock cam 2bbl motor can only pump so much air/fuel, regardless of how much you throw at it.

I had the same engine ('63 2bbl 389) in a heavy Catalina wagon and the off-idle torque and fuel economy were nice. It was all done by 4000 RPM however.

I have also ran Holley carbs for years and have come back to factory bolt-on equipment and am running faster (and looking & driving better). Pontiacs never came with Holley carbs.

That said, there is no harm in trying. You can always switch back if you don't like it.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycis View Post
whats the going rate for a carter 3649s?

i see a reman one on ebay for $300+....is that fair or a rape?
Not a bad price for one that is correctly rebuilt. This guy doesn't really say what he did to or if it even has original jets, rods, piston springs, etc. Those are things that commonly get changed out with incorrect parts and cause problems. The ebay carb doesn't even have the right size fuel inlet adapter on it, so who knows what else is wrong.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
On the intake tighten the bolts near the center both sides and work out towards the ends and do it in steps not with the target torque first time.

If you go to a bigger cam like an 068 (or anything really) you should do the heads and put new valve springs in because the valve springs if original; are very tired at this point and have no where near the seat pressure the new cam will want. Before you buy an 068 look at a Summit 2801 combination cam and lifters for $99 I think it is which is a great street cam IMO and a heck of a buy.

The worst part about putting the cam in IMO is removing and reinstalling the harmonic balancer and stuff bolted to the crank snout, which you have to do to remove the timing chain cover. But I've done it in a '63 Catalina after pulling the radiator and a '64 is basically the same car. It took me 3 or 4 hours as I recall and I am old and slow.
So if I decide to do the cam swap, I will need to remove the heads and have them reworked with new valve springs too? Are the valve springs not easily replaceable without removing the heads?

If I do have to remove the heads, what else should I have done to them while they are off?

Thanks, Luke.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am/was in the exact situation as you were and the problem was simply where do you stop??? Tough thing to answer. I ended up with the decision to put dual quads, long brach manifolds, 2.5 exhaust and a 2801 cam due to mine being a 4 spd and 3.42 rear gears. I sould not loose much on the bottom end due to my gear/trans set up.

I was going to put heads on or have mine done, but could not see a reason to stop there, why put good heads on a bottom end that may or may not be efficient?? So I decided to just do the bolt on things as listed above and down the line will do heads and bottom end. The cam is simple and you don't need to do the heads, the 067 and 068 cams were stock for press in studs and springs and I suggested either of them depending on your trans and gear set up. Others will be able to give you much better advice on what to use vs my basic knowledge. Should you do them? Maybe? Should you re-ring the bottom end if you are doing the heads? Should you deck the block at the same time?? No end to where to stop, so my stoping point was with the cam and will go down the road of an overhaul down the line.

Just my thoughts.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
I am/was in the exact situation as you were and the problem was simply where do you stop??? Tough thing to answer. I ended up with the decision to put dual quads, long brach manifolds, 2.5 exhaust and a 2801 cam due to mine being a 4 spd and 3.42 rear gears. I sould not loose much on the bottom end due to my gear/trans set up.

I was going to put heads on or have mine done, but could not see a reason to stop there, why put good heads on a bottom end that may or may not be efficient?? So I decided to just do the bolt on things as listed above and down the line will do heads and bottom end. The cam is simple and you don't need to do the heads, the 067 and 068 cams were stock for press in studs and springs and I suggested either of them depending on your trans and gear set up. Others will be able to give you much better advice on what to use vs my basic knowledge. Should you do them? Maybe? Should you re-ring the bottom end if you are doing the heads? Should you deck the block at the same time?? No end to where to stop, so my stoping point was with the cam and will go down the road of an overhaul down the line.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks man. After having taken it all in, I called Jim Butler up and had a long talk with him. He agrees that everything that I have to add is the right stuff for what I want to do. He also agreed that the 068 cam and new valve springs is the way to go. He said to leave the heads alone...not worth it right now.

Thanks again for all of your advice. I think I'm on track to get her done nicely now. I'm going to post pics of the operation step by step, and some vids of the exhaust pre and post.