THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Shoot, I knew you were Joe Whoopass, seeing those pictures from the top of your house, a while back......LOL
Yeah, I quit competing against Shawn when he ran 50 miles on his 50th birthday. I bow out.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wait, it was ONLY 45 miles. Easy peasy

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...7&highlight=45

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Wait, it was ONLY 45 miles. Easy peasy

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...7&highlight=45
Yeah I slacked at 50! 55 is just around the corner!

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
The Following User Says Thank You to shawn e. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can excercise….eat all the right foods….don’t smoke good cigars….no alcohol….cut out sweets… and guess what…your going to die anyway. We are not here for a long time….so enjoy a good time.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can’t imagine running 5 miles, let alone 50!

Old 09-16-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even at my advanced age (nearly 70), I typically I like to do extreme hiking and climbing but due to Covid, it is hard to go to some of the places I used to frequent. Before each trip I would train cardio and strength (weights) for 12 weeks. Not much training over the last few years but hope to get back to it soon. In the meantime my 20 month old KNPV Dutch Shepherd keeps me extremely active as I have to exercise and train her 4-5 hours/day!

Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
Even at my advanced age (nearly 70), I typically I like to do extreme hiking and climbing but due to Covid, it is hard to go to some of the places I used to frequent. Before each trip I would train cardio and strength (weights) for 12 weeks. Not much training over the last few years but hope to get back to it soon. In the meantime my 20 month old KNPV Dutch Shepherd keeps me extremely active as I have to exercise and train her 4-5 hours/day!
Great animal! I have a 3 year old Malinois and my wife a 2 year old GS . They keep us very active!

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 09-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gym, 3 times a week.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:48 AM

Trail hopping on my bike every morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZmqtFlyhg

Old 09-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My workout isn't crazy time wise. Typically one hour a session, 3X a week. Not lifting too heavy is key at aging non injury. Do a poundage that the 8th rep is getting harder. Not turning purple straining harder. If trying to get stronger, sometimes I go to a 5 or 6 rep set where 6th is harder. Rare though. I can train people where I can make a lighter weight heavier. Speed (tempo) of lift, slowing it down a hair, all make a lighter weight heavier. Option vs going heavier. Meaning strict form and deliberate controlled motion, no power jerking it. That always brings other muscle groups in.

I left out the most critical training: CORE. I do 10-15 minute core right before going to my gym for the rest (on top of 1 hour mentioned) I do it in my living room out of habit, then head out to the gym. 2 sets crunches. 2 sets each of regular planks and 2 each of side planks, both sides. Mix in bird dogs sometimes. Do cat and camel stretches in between sets. I never resistance train people until going thru an initial balance, range of motion, and core conditioning beginner process for some sessions, to get the "foundation" right.

TIP: It is very common that lower back discomfort is ab related. If overweight, added weight can add to the front back imbalance, and is helped by weight loss. But muscle balance between opposing muscles is very important. Otherwise you have elongated (stretched) on one side and tight (shortened) on the other. Examples: Abs / lower back. Shoulders and pecs.

Weak (elongated) abs cause constricted lower back muscles. I have helped people with lower back pain by getting them strong and balanced core. Stronger abs are a huge part typically.

The other common imbalance is elongated upper back muscles and constricted bunched up pecs. (think computer pose) Bench press and chest strengthening without addressing the upper back just makes it worse. Some here may have seen gym rats who over emphasize benching and have the shoulders forward look. Chest overtraining. I put shoulder pressing over benching as a priority, although do and train people on both.

I train people in the 80% of max at upper end range. I have never injured anyone and have typically doubled peoples strength when they come in unconditioned, and common with women, tripled, because it is all new to them. I advance people slowly and methodically over 3-6 months to build solid base.

Women are better clients typically because they listen better and don't have preconceived ideas on how to do it. I never advance people in weight until they show perfect form on prior weight.

Single rep to low rep lifts are BAD for aging bodies in the risk sense. Leave that for the young bucks. Medium to what I call light-heavy (lower end of what I call heavy range) is the training ranges I use. You still will build max strength capability, without testing it. Always do a warm up set at a light weight and advance weight over sets.

Also, variation is key against stagnation in workouts. I have primary lifts that often usually are the first lift (big pressing / deadlift / squat etc) the supplementary lifts are always varied, I have an array of secondary ones to pick one or two after the primary. And always change that up over weekly sessions. Joe Weider called it Muscle Confusion Principle. Worst thing one can do is same workout week after week. The body will adapt and the challenge reduced.

If anyone wants free advice I would be glad to free phone advise as a gift of health and direction. I am ACE certified and I think competent.

Last edited by bird72; 09-16-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 85 year old mother was telling me yesterday that she tried doing her pushups with her toes on the couch cause she "Saw some guy at the gym doing it" ... see was unsuccessful and had to return to normal pushups. She's in the gym 3 days a week, runs two days a week. Doesn't take a single prescription. Her mom lived to be 99. My father 88, still working in the yard every day.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of good advice- especially about the core. I shouldn’t be surprised it makes that much of a difference but I don’t prioritize abs. I do lower back along with vent over rows, lay pull, etc and rarely have back pain (unless from a workout). I am going to start factoring in more core- especially when I’m traveling and don’t have a gym.

I usually don’t test my strength with 1-3 reps, but every now and then I will get a challenge stuck in my head.

A few months ago I was benching on the smith machine (workout solo) and I was getting close to 405. Never in my life had I hit 405. I got it for 2. It was ugly but I got it. Probably never try it again.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn e. View Post
Great animal! I have a 3 year old Malinois and my wife a 2 year old GS . They keep us very active!
I remember when you got your Mal. A well bred Mal or Dutch (essentially the same dogs) are not for the faint of heart! Mine will hit a bite suit/sleeve like a missile!

Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After a recent heart scare/catheterization, I got back on a healthy diet (dropped 23lbs and cholesterol down to 120) and resumed biking and resistance training (joints don't appreciate free weights anymore).
Can't kick the bucket before the GTO is done...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 09-16-2021, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I retired first of the year at 58. I started weight training and walking 2miles a day. I also practice golf every day and play 2 times a week walking the course. I am almost down to 200 from 225 in January. I also got my handicap down to 8. I am going have to figure out the winter time activity.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I retired first of the year at 58. I started weight training and walking 2miles a day. I also practice golf every day and play 2 times a week walking the course. I am almost down to 200 from 225 in January. I also got my handicap down to 8. I am going have to figure out the winter time activity.
Might try out an elliptical?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...