67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 400 HO starter removal

On a 68 400 HO firebird, does the DS exhaust manifold have to come off, before the starter can be changed or can you remove the DS motor and frame mounts and come straight out with it? The manifolds have never been off of the car before, so I can see some possible broken bolts happening if I do take the manifold off.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never had an issue with the starter on my 69 TA (which should be the same long branch deal). The issue is to have the cables ajusted just right so you can get them on off but not to have cables too close to the manifold.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My starter has never been off the car and is still working fine, I also just installed a new, "correct" positive cable and a repro engine wiring harness, due to the originals being in rough shape. While I was under there installing the new stuff, I got to wondering, when the time came, how I'd ever change the starter with the LB manifold on.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was young and doing a lot of starter instalations I never had to remove an exhaust or mounts if it was stock. It is a bit tricky, but it can be done. If you want to know how I did it let me know.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I want to know.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove wires. Remove any brace or shields. Unbolt starter. Pull starter out of trans hole and push starter nose upward so back of starter is facing down. You may need to rotate the starter some, but it will come down. It's tight but it will come out.

The Following User Says Thank You to stellar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
Remove wires. Remove any brace or shields. Unbolt starter. Pull starter out of trans hole and push starter nose upward so back of starter is facing down. You may need to rotate the starter some, but it will come down. It's tight but it will come out.
You did this on a car with long branch manifolds?

Old 10-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't remember, but probably not if they are bigger. I havent done one since probably the 1980's or 90's. I did lots of firebirds back then and never had to remove a manifold, so probably did not have the long branch. Headers were a problem, but other than that no problems. Hope all goes well for you. Let us know how its done.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just replaced the starter on my '68 HO with long branch manifolds. As stated, it's a tight fit, but can be removed WITHOUT removing the exhaust manifold. As I was cussing, I thought "they wouldn't have engineered this to have to remove the manifold to change the starter." With some patience and twisting / turning, it will come out.

No need to do anything with the motor mounts either.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm happy to find another that did it without manifold removal. I guess it is possible that the right combination of cuss words are the key. Possibly blue 71ta can enlighten us. As I stated earlier it has been awhile for me so although I can remember the cuss words, I may not remember them in the right sequence. I had another thought. At this old age sometimes thoughts hurt. You may try taking the solenoid off while the starter is still stuck in the limited space. It may give enough space to remove the starter. Thank you blue71. Your post was refreshing.

The Following User Says Thank You to stellar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, now I know it can be done, that's a relief! Thanks to all who posted, I appreciate the help!