THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fishing Electronics.....

I recently upgraded my “bass boat” from a 35 year old Coleman canoe to this Old Town Next. I’m considering some sort of fish finding electronics but have NO IDEA what to look at. Brands, types etc.
Suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09E28356-EBF5-4CCF-9989-BF1E21E3539E.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	566750  

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a look st Garmin

Old 05-17-2021, 06:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm a Humminbird guy, so on that rig I'd recommend a Humminbird Helix 7. This would probably be all you need...https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-g...yABEgJnmPD_BwE

This is maybe more than you need...
https://www.overtons.com/humminbird-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or, as they say, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
https://www.boatersland.com/humminbi...CABEgKXOfD_BwE

New electronics can be overwhelming with all their settings and technology, but that's why YouTube was invented(I think).

The Following User Says Thank You to cdrookie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never put one on my kayak,on my Whaler and my big boat they are all Simrad.Tom

Old 05-19-2021, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, where did you buy it? I'd love to get another Old Town canoe. I miss the OT 14-6 I had back in the 90s, and kick myself for selling it. Paid $389.00 for it back in 1992. It was the best canoe I'd ever used. Tough, quiet, and lite weight.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My boat had an older Garmin unit when l bought it. It works better than I know how to use it for sure. In spite of that, my wife bought me a portable wireless unit that links to a smartphone. It's about the size of a softball and tethers to your boat or you can use it from the shore, the doc, pier or whatever. You can even cast it. The range is, l think like 300 ft.
At first I told her I didn't need it but then I started thinking about when I go fishing in Florida and places like that I'm not going to be taking my little 11 ft boat with me. This will be perfect for pier fishing or surf fishing.
It's made by Lowrance and called The Fish Hunter 3D. She paid maybe half of what I see them listed for at Academy Sports.
The 3d is the high end. There are two others that might fill your needs. The big difference is the better graphics on the 3d compared to the Pro and I forget what the other one is called.
I'd post a link but I don't know how to do it on this new phone. Speaking of which, me having a new phone is directly related to one of my fishing misadventures. That's a story for another day.
Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
Maybe this will work:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fish...wbkPt_aY6AQ3:0

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-20-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
My boat had an older Garmin unit when l bought it. It works better than I know how to use it for sure. In spite of that, my wife bought me a portable wireless unit that links to a smartphone. It's about the size of a softball and tethers to your boat or you can use it from the shore, the doc, pier or whatever. You can even cast it. The range is, l think like 300 ft.
At first I told her I didn't need it but then I started thinking about when I go fishing in Florida and places like that I'm not going to be taking my little 11 ft boat with me. This will be perfect for pier fishing or surf fishing.
It's made by Lowrance and called The Fish Hunter 3D. She paid maybe half of what I see them listed for at Academy Sports.
The 3d is the high end. There are two others that might fill your needs. The big difference is the better graphics on the 3d compared to the Pro and I forget what the other one is called.
I'd post a link but I don't know how to do it on this new phone. Speaking of which, me having a new phone is directly related to one of my fishing misadventures. That's a story for another day.
Maybe this will work:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fish...wbkPt_aY6AQ3:0

Greg, I looked at those and others like them. Do you have to have a cell signal for it to work? My favorite place to go (and others I visit) has zero cell signal. After reading on the various manufacturers sites, I've found that they all are really vague on explaining things to where someone other than the writer can understand what is what.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 05-20-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
David, where did you buy it? I'd love to get another Old Town canoe. I miss the OT 14-6 I had back in the 90s, and kick myself for selling it. Paid $389.00 for it back in 1992. It was the best canoe I'd ever used. Tough, quiet, and lite weight.

Unless it's changed, most of Old Town's inventory is back ordered months. I was looking for any of the Old Town solo canoes new and hit dead ends everywhere. I found a nearly new (10 year old) Old Town Pack made of the discontinued Royalex material and just missed it. Less than 40 pounds. I found this one used just north of Chattanooga and jumped on it. This one weighs mid 50's, 13ft long and the seat is like paddling around in a LazyBoy. The seat and foot props are adjustable.
The previous owner bought this one new last August and was disappointed that it wasn't more like a kayak and said he only used it a "couple" of times. When I got it the bottom (and the rest of the craft) looked like new. $900 (Old Town lists it at $1099) with the paddle, which is about $175 new . I've had it out 3 times and still use my old 4ft wooden paddle when I'm fishing but have found that the double ended paddle is great for covering a lot of water with ease while comfortably sitting in the recliner, feet propped up. It's good shoulder therapy too.

Last edited by David Jones; 05-20-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Greg, I looked at those and others like them. Do you have to have a cell signal for it to work? My favorite place to go (and others I visit) has zero cell signal. After reading on the various manufacturers sites, I've found that they all are really vague on explaining things to where someone other than the writer can understand what is what.
No Dave, the device is the Wi-Fi connection and that's all you really are trying to do, connect to the device. If you are near a Wi-Fi connection, like at your house, you have to go into your settings and disconnect from your home Wi-Fi and select the fishhunter.
That confused me at first because I kept getting the connected but no internet message, then I realized, duh... I'm not trying to get on the internet, I'm simply trying to connect to this device.
You are right about the instructions, they can be a lot clearer.
One of the selections does require an internet connection but it has nothing to do with the actual fishing functions. It's for looking at maps, other users can show pictures of their catches, etc.
That contributed to my confusion because that's how I was getting the no internet message. I was looking at the wrong thing.
Outside of learning how to use it in a 5 gallon bucket I haven't actually taken it fishing with me. My wife got it because when we go fishing there is a couple there that are regulars that use one and talk about how much they like it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Ranger R91 came with a Lowrance LCX-113C, with Fish-finding sonar & moving map GPS. It’s like 20 year old technology, at least.

The Fish-finding Sonar works pretty good, but I haven’t really figured out how to use it for the type of fishing we do. We mostly target catfish and strippers when they are running in the fall. I believe if you tried to learn how to use it it would be a great tool to have.

The Mapping GPS is great for navigation when running different creeks and crossing the sound. You can split the screen and run both modes at the same time. I can monitor my speed, and the depth of the water at the same time. This part probably won’t be of use to you in your canoe, for the most part, but if you fell asleep and then woke up after drifting a while, you at least be able to see where you are with it.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
The Following User Says Thank You to 455firebird1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys for your input.
I've looked at Lowrance, Humminbird and Garmin.
Based on what it's going on and where I'll mount it (and how much larger ones rocket up in cost), I decided that 5" was about the right size. I ordered a Garmin Striker Vivid 5cv, a Scotty #140 transducer mount and 12v 8ah battery and charger.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope you post up some pictures of your rig after you get it up and fishing.

Fishing out of a canoe is a whole different way of doing it for me, so I’d like to see your boat in action, and the big bass you catch.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will do. I went for a couple of hours this morning, caught 3.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You did better than me. I went Friday evening and didn't even get a bite. Right before sunset as I was coming in, l visually spotted a bunch of Crappie back in a cove swirling around in 3 feet of water. They weren't a bit interested in eating anything l ran by them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 12:16 AM

I run a paddling shop in my vocations, Old Town dealer plus much more. I sold my Next, but have more coming in Sept., including Sportsman 119 (a Discovery 119 in camo). You can hang a transducer off gunwale with hardware by Yakattack which we stock. The brands are all putting out great gear with the Chirp technology.

The Following User Says Thank You to stevesbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your Old Town Canoe is a very very well built boat. Stable and comfy too.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, I received the various pieces/parts and did the electronics install. I put the transducer mount right in front of the Garmin on the right side (easy arms reach, but out of the way) and ran the power cable up to the front of the canoe under the canoes plastic edge. I put the battery in a small soft sided cooler and the hook up is quick through stainless alligator clips. The cooler stashes under the front cap of the canoe. I went fishing this morning with the intention of checking things out and getting a few pictures.
I did the fishing part but ran into a little problem with the photos. I backed up to the water and I sat the canoe out on the ground with just enough daylight showing to hook up the electronics. I snapped the transducer mount on and at that point got a sinking feeling. Yep. I’d left the Garmin Vivid AT HOME on the workbench in the box.
Sigh.
I fished 3 hours and caught 2 small largemouth. I enjoyed a breakfast of oatmeal cookies and an apple while watching a family of otters chase their breakfast.
Great trip.

Last edited by David Jones; 05-31-2021 at 07:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went Sunday afternoon. I decided to flip my normal procedure and went to the far end of the 600 acre lake first with plans to fish my way back to the ramp. As soon as l got as far as I was going...my trolling motor quit. Good thing I threw a full sized oar in the boat instead of the little mini.
I never got my head into any serious fishing after that... It was more like, a little fishing, a lot of rowing, a little fishing, etc., etc.
Second rotary switch l've burned up in that thing in less than a year.
It was still a beautiful day and the wind was at my back so no real disaster...no fish either though..

Old 06-21-2021, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

“Fish finding” equipment installed.

This canoe is a joy to fish from.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B49EC1C6-B417-4F59-9993-74F0B4104BBE.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	568570  

Old 06-21-2021, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice rig. I was seriously considering something like that for myself right before this little boat of mine found me.
I'm still on the upside of the learning curve myself when it comes to fish finding equipment. I find that I use it more for looking at underwater terrain than actual fish. In other words, I'm doing the same thing with it that I do with my eyes if I'm fishing from the bank. Looking for cover, sudden drop offs on the bottom, etc.