The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-22-2021, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Base over Ecoat

Is it ok to paint base coat right over Ecoat after a thorough scuffing? I just got this new steel valance and it's perfect, needs zero work, Ecoat is perfectly applied and appears very durable.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 06:17 AM
Senior Chief

I would use a non sanding primer sealer before paint.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 07:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would scuff it and use reduced SPI epoxy as a sealer for greatly improved adhesion.

You should use the same color sealer on the entire car to insure a good color match panel to panel.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would surely prime/seal before base coat.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely a coat of non sanding sealer….that’s what sealer is…wet on wet….but get base on it with in 20 minutes….or some window will slam shut on yah

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I would scuff it and use reduced SPI epoxy as a sealer for greatly improved adhesion.

You should use the same color sealer on the entire car to insure a good color match panel to panel.

Don
Click image for larger version

Name:	E21EFB52-E5F1-48AD-B1CF-559D8206C39D.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	571830

These sprayout cards are black and white for a reason…And that reason is for total paint coverage….If you can still see any squares…you need more coats of paint. So you can have a car with different colored primers on it and as long as you have proper “ Coverage” it don’t make a dang bit of difference. Coverage is Coverage. NOW….. Candy Colors are a whole nuther animal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Car is primered in black epoxy ... so color wasn't an issue, but I'm going to shoot it with epoxy while I'm doing another coat on the shell. Should be shooting in base within a few days.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Attachment 571830

These sprayout cards are black and white for a reason…And that reason is for total paint coverage….If you can still see any squares…you need more coats of paint. So you can have a car with different colored primers on it and as long as you have proper “ Coverage” it don’t make a dang bit of difference. Coverage is Coverage. NOW….. Candy Colors are a whole nuther animal.
No argument but how many garage painters have spray out cards? My advice was directed to folks who may not get perfect coverage on all surfaces. It keeps them out of trouble imho…..

Using a consistent sealer color can also reduce the number of coats of expensive base needed. Just hit your spray out card with sealer and see how much less base is needed to cover the squares.

Don

Old 08-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
No argument but how many garage painters have spray out cards? My advice was directed to folks who may not get perfect coverage on all surfaces. It keeps them out of trouble imho…..

Using a consistent sealer color can also reduce the number of coats of expensive base needed. Just hit your spray out card with sealer and see how much less base is needed to cover the squares.

Don
You’ll know how many coats you’ll need to get full coverage ..with that spray out card....Cuz these guys dont have an 800.00 sun light to check the panels..IMHO

Old 08-24-2021, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be using the big free sun light in the sky

Since I'll be shooting Verdoro Green over black primer ... I have a feeling it's going to be hard to tell when I have enough base coat on.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
You’ll know how many coats you’ll need to get full coverage ..with that spray out card....Cuz these guys dont have an 800.00 sun light to check the panels..IMHO
Poor man’s sun gun. It works surprisingly well….

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...90616499&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...1JBL90CC&psc=1

Don

Old 08-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any Sun gun will bail your anus out. I’ve put that Toyota color RR ( I think ...it’s a red pearl) ovah the recommenced shade of sealer....and thought I had it covered after 5 coats....WRONG ! Put that light on it....had more coats to go. Good find Don.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Car is primered in black epoxy ... so color wasn't an issue, but I'm going to shoot it with epoxy while I'm doing another coat on the shell.

Should be shooting in base within a few days.
You do mean shooting epoxy as a sealer and then base in a few days right?

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 08-25-2021, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shot the last two coats of epoxy today over all the body work (this process has been done a couple of times), everything looks good, so I plan to shoot the base on Friday after sanding on Thursday. Since that's only three days from the last coat of epoxy I shouldn't need a seal coat correct?

Last edited by dataway; 08-25-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Shot the last two coats of epoxy today over all the body work (this process has been done a couple of times), everything looks good, so I plan to shoot the base on Friday after sanding on Thursday. Since that's only three days from the last coat of epoxy I shouldn't need a seal coat correct?
A coat of reduced epoxy as a sealer is a good idea imho because it will fill small sand scratches. I never spray base or single stage with applying reduced epoxy sealer. It’s just good practice. No need to cut corners after all that work.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Johnny, I totally agree with Don. Do not skip the step of your application of a reduced epoxy sealer coat before your base. Wait at about an hour and then apply the base. That's plenty long since it is summer.
Doing it the way you are planning will risk delamination.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez this epoxy is finicky stuff. The last two coats I applied layed down absolutely beautiful and it still has to be sealed only 72 hours later? I know what's going to happen, I'm going to shoot the reduced epoxy and because I haven't worked with it that way before it's going to be hit and miss and I'm going end up sanding it again. Also, since I'm painting outside it's another layer of trash that would get trapped in the sealer. Shame since these last coats are sanded with those super fine sponges and is smooth as glass (as per Chad's suggestion). I'd say there is an extremely low probability the seal coat will be as smooth as the body is now.

Weather today will be close to the same as paint day, 80+ and humid, so maybe I'll reduce some epoxy and shoot something to see how it goes down.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Johnny, I totally agree with Don. Do not skip the step of your application of a reduced epoxy sealer coat before your base. Wait at about an hour and then apply the base. That's plenty long since it is summer.
Doing it the way you are planning will risk delamination.

X3.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's optional when your last coat of primer is 2K but still a much better thing to do. Imperative when your last coat of primer is epoxy. Base is not going to penetrate into epoxy at all. It's not porous. Mechanical adhesion alone is not enough. 72 hours of cure is way too long.

You spray the sealer just like it's your first coat of base. A light but wet coat.
Mixing a little to practice with is not a bad idea. Activate, let it induce at least 30 minutes and then reduce that about 30%.
I adjust my LPH-400 down to about 23 psi for spraying it.

Do not rush your base coats and let it dry overnight and spray your clear in the morning. Too short will affect your final gloss.

The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: