EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 09-21-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You really need the 8 1/2" wide by 4 3/4" deep trap door from Tanks Inc. That way you can access both the pump and the sending unit at any time. I find that's just the perfect size to get both pieces in and out with just enough wiggle room.

It's really no big deal. The first time you have to use it you'll forget all about the anxiety about cutting the floor. With your situation it really sounds like you need it anyway with a tank that won't drop without removing the exhaust, and an exhaust that doesn't disassemble easily kind of backs you into a corner.

Hell I traveled the country to buy our rust free cars that I've owned for 30+ years and I didn't give cutting a small square hole in the trunk a second thought, and a few of the cars today aren't cheap to buy or easily replaced. It can easily be welded back in, a little body work and I can make it appear as if it was never there in the first place.
That trap door looks fine to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanks Inc Trap door.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	573521

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 09-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Well isn't that interesting. I never paid attention to that. I'm guessing they are all .500 shafts then.
Yeah. No cast iron gear option for HFT. The idea of running a sacrificial -(bronze) gear is a no-go on that one. I'll have to see if the Holley shaft size is the same as OEM, then I could source a cast iron gear. Guy dropped his price on the Dualsync to $225.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Holley shaft is .5 - same as a MSD Pro Billet. In fact, Holley now owns MSD.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-21-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Yeah. No cast iron gear option for HFT. The idea of running a sacrificial -(bronze) gear is a no-go on that one. I'll have to see if the Holley shaft size is the same as OEM, then I could source a cast iron gear. Guy dropped his price on the Dualsync to $225.
Good info to know. I haven't heard this brought up before so it's worth mentioning. Could be a game changer for those running flat tappet camshafts if something out there isn't available.

I never gave it any thought because the cars I'm running EFI on are roller cams and already running MSD distributors that I planned to just lock out and use.

Hard to believe an iron gear isn't made for the .500 shafts though.....??? I'll dig into that.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-21-2021, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MSD comes with a gear that's compatible with hft cams, so they're available.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looked and realized what I've been doing on the other cars.

Use the Melonized gear. It's compatible with Billet, Iron, Steel camshafts.

So you should be fine with any .500 distributor you decide on, just stick the melonized gear on it.

Edit, Scott beat me to it. I'm guessing they are coming with the Melonized gear, that's what GM is using on their crate engines as well.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, these guys at the eBay Holley store are getting on my nerves. Ordered my tank on Sep 6th and it still hasn't shipped. They have ignored my emails 3 days in a row including a "merchandise not received" claim through eBay. There is no number to contact them, only through email. Heck of a way to run an internet-based merchandise outlet.

I'm done with these guys at Holley and just requested a return on the Refurb Sniper and cancelled the tank order.

I just ordered a brand new FiTech Easy-Street (600hp) kit and a complete tank, in-tank pump and line kit w. fittings from CPP.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not surprised by any of that. It took 2.5 months to receive my Holley Sniper EFI tank after I ordered it in mid-April. Hopefully you have better luck with your FiTech parts, but I wouldn't be surprised if you experience a similar delay with them as well. These companies all source their tanks from just a few manufacturers, and that's one of the main bottlenecks. The tank included in my Holley Sniper kit is from Tanks, Inc., and I'd be willing to bet that's where FiTech gets their tanks from, too.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-24-2021, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's what disappoints me ... Sniper EFI (gold) was a refurb from Holley for $799. Defect was broken tab on a connector that you would normally zip tie anyway. It arrived in 4 days. My request to return was immediately approved through eBay and a free return shipping label provided by Bay's automated returns system.

The tank w. pump and sending unit was a scratch and dent special in their eBay store, described as carton damage, no marks on the tank. Ordered on the 6th with 4 day delivery. It was in-stock in Bowling Green, KY and avail to ship. My automated request to return the Sniper EFI was immediately approved and a free shipping label provided through eBay's automated return system.

Between Sep 6 and today, Holley has not answered a single inquiry I have made through eBay Messaging. My PayPal Account was charged for the tank at time of purchase. My request to cancel the tank was immediately approved by eBay as no tracking number was provided by Holley as proof of shipping and my PayPal Account was credited in full.

No more Holley Store for me.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 09-24-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've mentioned several times how terrible the service is at Holley, which is why I've purchased mine, and always recommend going through Chris at EFI System Pro. All the tech support you need, notifications on discounts and good prices, and he always gets back to me when I have a question.

About the only thing good I can say about Holley service is their forum is pretty good with a lot of knowledgeable people there eager to answer questions and give tech support. Even the guys on the Holley forum recommend Chris at EFI System Pro for product and tech support, which is kind of funny on a Holley run forum when you think about it.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, my few communications with Holley customer service were very slow. I've never needed to tackle anything complicated with them before (EFI tuning, etc.), but it's pretty evident that Holley needs to improve their support for customers. I somewhat feel that Holley is pretty much just cruising on brand name recognition nowadays, rather than investing in R&D and quality assurance. Not totally surprising, since they filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and have been owned by various private equity firms ever since.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CPP advises their tanks are drop shipped from Tanks, Inc. Lead times can vary but they say mid Oct delivery is realistic. Same story there. I'll be looking to store my car by the time the tank arrives. Order cancelled.

I'm taking one last swing and wish I'd found this early on. Made by Spectra (discontinued) and retrofits existing tanks with no cutting. My tank is just a couple years old so this makes perfect sense. Normal LS pump output specs, in-stock w. 4 day free shipping ...... wait for it. ............... $69.99! Looks like a fully engineered piece unlike some of the cobbled together, zip-tied setups that still require you to cut a second hole in the tank. No baffle but I don't care, just getting this in time to finish my project this year makes me smile. Saving around $500 doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 09-25-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope that works out for you. It probably will do ok, as long as you don't intend to run the tank at lower fuel levels. For spirited driving half tank or better may be required.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A solution to that would be the have the pump sit in a 3" tall can surrounding the pump pickup - it is filled by the return. No issues with slosh, but you would lose you float in the deal unless you popped a small hole in the can and reattached the float arm thru it. It may present a challenge to get it thru the OEM tank hole.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could attach a shortened drywall compound pan to the upright . They are 14"L x 4-1/2"W x 2-5/8"H (shorten with tin snips, end folded and riveted) and it would not impede the float arm. They typically drill holes at either end which allow the baffle to fill rom the surrounding fuel and serve as restrictor to keep them from emptying too quickly under hard acceleration and braking.

That said, I don't have a baffle now and I don't really see the situation as any different with the pump in the tank. The pickup is in the same place as stock.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 09-25-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it .... OEM style pumps run reliable for 100+K miles in most cases if the tank is kept half full or more most of the time.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How would you get the drywall pan in the tank?

I was thinking something more like this:

Wife has a few in the fridge, they look like they would fit in the pump hole just fine if cut down with said snips.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to check the factory sending unit hole for clearance. The drywall pan could be offset to one side and is only 2-5/8" tall. It should be able to be "rocked" into place similar to the way they do these retrofit kits.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the float sticking out like it does, I won't be able to use the tray like I was thinking. Too many appendages to fish through the opening in the tank. I'm just going to run it as designed. I don't have a baffled pickup now and have no fuel starvation, so I don't see this as an issue.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is why I was suggesting the trimmed can; it will fit closely and catch the return fuel flow, preventing starvation in the corners.

There is another kit out there that does this - I wish I would have known doing both my FI refit cars and saved a couple hundred each by reusing the carb tanks.