THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How are you staying in shape?

I didn’t want to junk up the drive through thread-

How are y’all staying in (or out?) of shape these days?

I’m still a lift heavy/mild cardio guy but my Dr is on me to lose weight. His perspective is that weight on a heart is weight on a heart no matter if it is fat or muscle. Honestly my demise will probably diabetes as it runs in my family.

Got on low T treatment a few years ago and it made a huge difference. I will advise though if you are going to do that go to a place where they have the capability to do your bloodwork quarterly so you don’t get any surprises.

I still go to the gym and did through the shut down. If you decided to do something else what are you doing?

Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bowling. Gardening. Car hobby. Walking the dogs like 3+ times a day whether i need it or not. They insist.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do 3 miles 5 days a week on my recumbent bike.Once a month I do a treadmill that ends up at 4.5 MPH at 12 degree incline,total of 11-11.5 min.Tom

Old 09-14-2021, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the traditional weight lifting stuff, modified by me some. 3 day a week. Chest / Triceps Day One, Back / Biceps Day Two, Legs / Shoulders Day Three. Never two consecutive days. Typically restrict poundage by always doing 8 reps per set. Be kind to joints as they age. Also do some light to medium weight / higher reps stuff for muscle endurance. I like squats / deadlifts, presses, and it is about form, form, form. Constantly varying the exact workout. Make it fun. I never train anyone over 45 or 50 on powerlifting stuff. Some can do it, but low or single rep feats of strength are not needed to build strength and muscle. Do biking / walking for aerobic side of it. Biking is vastly kinder to aging knees.

I have modest personal gym with power rack and benches. Dumbbells to 65 and I am buying 70's. I have 2 1/2 lb steps on DB's up to 30lb so easy progressions for clients and me. Have Olympic bars and weights. Medicine Balls. Pulley machine. I love the stuff, even at 65 yo.

Last edited by bird72; 09-14-2021 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yard work, working on my old cars, relic hunting and if you don't think that is exercise try walking a plowed field for 8 hours. I also do all the maintenance on my house. And, for the last several months I have been building a covered swing deck. I got the roof decking on it today and will probably rest for a week before I put the shingles on. After all I am almost 71.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in 1997 (on my 43rd birthday) I was diagnosed as diabetic. I'm 5'6 and weighed 225 pounds at the time. My typical road warrior lunch back then was a double quarter pounder with cheese, super size fries and a tall Coke.

Diet and exercise got me down to 155 pounds in a period of about 6 months. I eliminated the dbl qp at lunch and started with 6" subs (turkey/ham) without any sauce and stopped drinking regular pop altogether. I sold my lawn tractor and bought a 36" commercial walk behind mower (2 acres of yard) and went from 1 golf league to 2 (walking, not riding). In winter I tried to walk and also had a tread mill and ultimately went to an elliptical.

Fast forward to my 65th birthday, I had bulked up to about 170 pounds. My walk behind mower was long gone due to multiple surgeries that prevented me from being able to manhandle a 500 pound mower with a pull start. By my 66th birthday I was up to 175 and my blood sugar readings were getting a little high. A month later and we went down to see our grandson get sworn in to the Marines. It was a food fest weekend and I got home and I was almost 180 pounds.

The "creep" of weight had to stop. I was still eating much better than I did before my diabetes diagnosis, but I started taking my diet more seriously. I also make it a point to get at least 10,000 steps in at least 3/4 times a week and hit 6/8,000 on the other days.

I'm 149 pounds now.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a job that I do 18,000 steps in an 8 hour shift, well we have been on 10 hour shifts for months, with no end in sight of it letting up. I used to run about 40 miles a week, but getting older my recovery times are a lot longer than when I was in my 30’s, and knees were always sore. I ended up biking more and running less. Not living in the city anymore I now have 1000’s of acres of DNR land to hike and bird hunt too.
I also tried to be sensible about my eating. Lots of fruit, some veggies and salads. Rarely eat fast food. Cut down on my breads, and eat more protein.
Since I moved from the city to a rural area about 3 years back, my blood pressure has dropped 25 points on the high and low readings.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Click image for larger version

Name:	hlg9.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	573073

Name:	hlg11.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	573074

Name:	hlg4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	573075

Still running and doing bootcamp at the gym. Tried somthing new a few weeks ago. I was in the novice class and got 3rd. Definitely hooked. In March I am running the Georgia Death Race!

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawn e. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I skip the elevator at work and do the steps to my 3rd floor office. And once a day I do a full circuit of steps down to the basement garage and up to the 6th floor. Its a simple workout that doesn't take much time, no special equipment and doesn't depend on the weather.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 09-15-2021, 12:41 PM

I have a set of 40 lbs dumbbells at home that I use once a week. I dislike exercising so much I can only stand doing it once a week. One week I will do bench press , flies, sit ups and bench pullovers all with the 40 lb weights. The next week I will do curls, seated overhead dumbbell extension, pull downs with black thera-band hanging from ceiling and then a 1 leg squat using a chair( my balance is so bad I almost fall over). I feel like these exercises hit most of the major muscle groups. The wife and I have recently just bought some electric bikes, these things are great. You can use pedal assist or just hit the throttle on those inclines that can tax older legs. In my 50's now and try not to push it hard now a days but I know I have to do it.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stay as busy as I can.
3 years ago I had a shoulder scope, which led to a full blown shoulder surgery, which led to a reverse shoulder replacement and finally I pray, one more surgery to replace some parts and clean the internal area of a stubborn infection. I have great range of motion and the new shoulder parts work well, but on days like this, when the barometer drops, the deep ache can be fairly crushing.
I like to do yard work and like to keep my little slice of the world neat and that is a good bit of my exercise. I also try to go fishing a few times a month from my canoe which is a bit more exercise than one might think. Walking? To this point, just random walking for distance can be a bit painful in the shoulder, but the Doc says he expects that will improve with time. New parts and muscles doing things they weren't intended to do.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

When I need to lose a few pounds I do the 16/8 fasting diet. I don’t go out of my way to exercise.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bird 72, I like your routine. My son started lifting seriously last november. He changed his diet (wasnt that bad to begin with) and initially lost about 40bs. He had hi BP but that came back to better than normal. Hes off all meds now and very healthy. We made a gym out of my old shop and he has a pretty nice settup now. He goes out every morning anytime from 4am -6am and does his routine. He does pretty much the same as you. I have been wanting to join him just havent taken that plunge yet.
To answer the op question I just go to work everyday. Today involved digging a bunch of holes. Not fun and my back is sore as ......... but I did get a little exercise. I am pushing 60 and need to start doing more as I feel older every day. I cut down on most all fast food, in fact for the last year during covid I did zero fast food and I think I still gained about 10 lbs.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:30 PM

Lifting. I do a full upper body workout 2x a week and legs 1x since I limp around for 5 days after. No cardio because I hate it. I do intermittent fasting most days so I don't eat until 2 PM and then throw down whatever I want until about 6 PM. After losing about 25 lbs I was motivated to start eating healthier during those 4 hours. It really amounts to a few hours of being hungry and then you can fill up without much worry unless you are eating 2 ft long cheesesteaks. For me it was better than trying to eat like a bird all day and never being satisfied.

The Following User Says Thank You to PontiJunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My current workout, I bought a 120 YO farmhouse with 4 acres of lawn. Repairing all the neglected things, plus trying to update other things, that keeps me busy and tired, and I dropped 10 lbs since I bought it. There's no end in sight for all the work that needs done, so I guess when I turn 69 in January I'll still have years of work to do. Plus we haven't sold our original house yet, so I have upkeep on 2 properties, then the actual move is going to come shortly too. Painters are done today, and floor crew will be done on Friday.

If I ever get a break from the house, I still have my car hobby to keep up with..............

We were walking once a day before we bought the house, but I don't have time now to do the walking consistently.

I'm also diabetic, and try to keep a handle on A1C levels, take blood sugar readings twice a day. last A1C was 6.2, doc wants it below 7, so I'm good presently.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-15-2021, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't be too active with my situation, BUT...
Easy way to loose pounds is loose the wheat, grains.
Beer belly IS Wheat belly.
If diabetic, loose the sugar too.
Tons of great tasting options, even deserts.
Add in Vitamin D3 for energy and immune system and
You are off to a great start.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s amazing how many different options there are.

Like Bird I did Chest/Tri’s, Back/Bi’s and shoulders forever. I stay away from legs because 1) my calves are already too big and 2) I don’t want to injure myself. 46 now and all my buddies that still squat and dead lift are always injured.

I recently bought into a workout program and love the change- things I would never think to do. Extremely intense. I almost never finish as it’s supposed to be. It’s from Joe Donnelly fitness and worth $4 a month for the ideas.

I still like lifting heavy but primarily dumbbells since I’m always alone. It’s a good way to challenge yourself. I’m extremely uncoordinated so this is really the only athletic thing I can do.

As far as diet goes I try my best, but as a traveling sales guy every meal is in a restaurant and usually involves drinks. You get a feel for what your body likes. I have really considered intermittent fasting as it seems to be one of the simplest ways but I don’t know if my stomach can handle 220 g of protein in 6 hours.

I’m 5’ 10” and range from 230-240. At 215-220 I look pretty lean with a few veins poppin. Dr is on my ass to lose weight, but I don’t have any interest in weighing 185- It just looks weird with my body type.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also have to say you can’t under estimate that value of staying active. It seems to make such a difference as we age. Yard work, working on the car, walking the dog all have significant value.

I can look at my neighbors and you can easily tell who stays active

Old 09-15-2021, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn e. View Post
Attachment 573073

Attachment 573074

Attachment 573075

Still running and doing bootcamp at the gym. Tried somthing new a few weeks ago. I was in the novice class and got 3rd. Definitely hooked. In March I am running the Georgia Death Race!
Shoot, I knew you were Joe Whoopass, seeing those pictures from the top of your house, a while back......LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also doing the push up a day for every day of the year! 1 on Jan. 1st and so on today is day 258!

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."