Old 05-09-2022, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Just an update to this thread - it's been 18 months and I finally got the issues with my fuel filter resolved. Took the Chieftain for a ride after draining a couple of quarts out the transmission behaves the same. Single upshift, and no shift to 4th. I think this trans has to come out.

I also finally traced the coolant leak I though was coming from the intake manifold gasket. The expansion plug (freeze plug) in the rear of the left head has rusted through. Looks like the only way to deal with that is to pull the head. I'll start a separate thread on that.

Yay for old Pontiacs . . .

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-09-2022, 05:16 PM
Senior Chief

Just for giggles - does anyone have a manual transmission changeover laying around ???

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not trying to hijack this but I have a couple observations / comments. From what I gather its seems that overfilling a super hydro is no big deal, which jives with responses I got about a post I made last summer on the same basic subject. I had work done on my 60 by some "clowns" that I was reassured knew about working on these old Pontiacs. They were supposed to drain the fluid and install a new filter. After driving home from the shop, I eventually determined that they had overfilled the trans about 6-1/2 qts. I don't see how you can overfill the trans that much wo having a problem + where the hell does all the extra fluid go? I'm not aware of any overflowing that occurred or blowing out the vent or dipstick during the drive home. Anyone care to throw in their 2 cents on this? Thx in advance RA.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Correctly filling a four speed Super Hydro 315 is a two-day job if you want to do it right and don't want a bunch of drips.

The fluid coupling needs to be drained as well as the transmission.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

389 thx for reply, but that's not really the issue. I'm completely aware of what needs to be done for a fluid / filter change. The 60 hydro shop manual states "do not overfill", so I just assume that overfilling by approx 1-1/2 gallons would probably be a problem, unless the factory engineers were just being overly cautious back in 60. When I get comments that that much overfilling is no big deal I have a hard time swallowing that regardless of who states it, just sayin.