Old 04-26-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted in lobby:

In the late 70's early 80's a neighbor to my friend had an early to mid 60's G.P. in the driveway. I had the opportunity to take a look after the owner/husband died. The wife never drove it and knew nothing about it. I had little interest in big cars at that time, 'Birds and T/A's were calling my attention then. Now for the longest time I have been curious as the the unique aspects of this car. Anyone know anything about this car.

Unique items....
G.P.
White on white, maybe even a convertable
Visors logo'd GP with mirrors
GP floor mats
interior had either embossed or stitched crossed checker flags (seatbacks and maybe door panels)or something similar to that
I just remember looking at it thinking that it was a "pacecar" type and how it seemed to be "opted out"

There was one other GP I remember "almost" buying as well...
63-64 GP 421, 4 spd, console with tach and other gauges....Black on red if I remember..
Bought a 67 400 hood tach, gold on gold bird instead...The bird is long gone (to a great home)
but man I yearn now for those two GP's

ANy info on what I might have missed ??

Old 04-26-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted in lobby:

In the late 70's early 80's a neighbor to my friend had an early to mid 60's G.P. in the driveway. I had the opportunity to take a look after the owner/husband died. The wife never drove it and knew nothing about it. I had little interest in big cars at that time, 'Birds and T/A's were calling my attention then. Now for the longest time I have been curious as the the unique aspects of this car. Anyone know anything about this car.

Unique items....
G.P.
White on white, maybe even a convertable
Visors logo'd GP with mirrors
GP floor mats
interior had either embossed or stitched crossed checker flags (seatbacks and maybe door panels)or something similar to that
I just remember looking at it thinking that it was a "pacecar" type and how it seemed to be "opted out"

There was one other GP I remember "almost" buying as well...
63-64 GP 421, 4 spd, console with tach and other gauges....Black on red if I remember..
Bought a 67 400 hood tach, gold on gold bird instead...The bird is long gone (to a great home)
but man I yearn now for those two GP's

ANy info on what I might have missed ??

Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only convertable was available in '67. The '62s had a checkered flag on the 421 badge on the fenders. Sounds wierd man. How long ago was this?

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 04-27-2003, 01:15 PM

The year was 1979, I do remember it was a mid? 60 sedan, another note I remember was the interior while the base was white, it also included red and black as highlights as in the flags...
damn it all.....
The gentleman that passed away I remember my friend saying it was someone "special" in the sense "important"

I'm trying to hunt down my childhood friend..

I'll keep it going...a "treasure hunt"

Old 04-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know there was 1 (one) 1962 Convertible made for one of the top GM executives. That car is unaccounted for now. That would be some ***** if that was it.

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:26 AM

I've found the friend....
Imagine after a few years the first questions weren't about his family or ?? It was...remember the lady across the street....<snicker>...he is/was a Pontiac freak so he understood completely.
I've gotten the last name only and I am getting ready to "grill" the parents of my friend for info.
Then to the MVA or some form of title searching....Let you know

And it would be the "S" if it was the missing ride.

I live in a suburb of Washington DC and alot of retired "industry" exec's and lobbists reside around here. Could it have been brought to Washington to "show off?"

Thanks All,
John

Old 04-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its hard to say. I know there is 1 car out there that I would give my first born child for. It was actually for sale in hemmings a few years back. They made a '66 Bonneville show car for I think the Detroit Auto show. It had this special cut out roof section and some killer interior in it. I remember the ad said it needed a complete restoration. I wonder where that one is.