THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-10-2024, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Airtags only have bluetooth range but they will ping any nearby phone, even if that phone has no interest in the tag ... the location then goes into the Apple system and the Tag owner can retrieve the location. That how you can put one in a garbage bag and track it around the world ... any Apple device within blue tooth range will pick it up and report the location to Apple.

Beeping a local unknown Airtag was recently added to help people determine if their car or whatever has a planted Airtag.

Also a ton of more profession cell system, gps trackers that can report a location via the cell phone network back to the trackers owner.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There's gotta be an app for Android users that detects any airtags that might be within that 100ft radius, so you can walk around your car (or anything else) and check?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-10-2024, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When we were at Universal Studios in Orlando my daughter kept getting a notification that an air tag was traveling following her. We looked everywhere for it. In her clothes, suitcase, purse, etc. never found it.

Apparently the car was stolen on the way being transferred to Homeland Security. The car is part of a chop shop investigation in Houston, maybe they were shipping over seas as mentioned?

Old 04-10-2024, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
There's gotta be an app for Android users that detects any airtags that might be within that 100ft radius, so you can walk around your car (or anything else) and check?
Yes there is , according to info I saw when googling about them before.
But I don't know if it can make them beep to find them defacto .

If not ,,, at that point you could have a friend with iPhone come over and make it beep.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Have to keep in mind in the eyes of the law and the police it's no different stealing a $1k car or a $100k car ... neither place a very high priority on it, they figure it's an insurance issue.

Same with breaking into a unoccupied house ... you can steal a $1000 stereo or steal $30 million from a Brinks warehouse ... same in the eyes of the law ... in fact, might even be worse in some states for breaking into the house.
The only difference is the $30 million will get looked into, because they can afford to press the issue. Money talks, even for police.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:19 PM

Also, I am glad they got a taste of their own medicine. Insurance companies are just "legal" thieves.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm gonna try Tracker Detect on my android and see how that works. Apparently Airguard might be a better app, but will see.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-11-2024, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My coworker had succees with Optimus:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...87&postcount=8

Old 04-12-2024, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes me even happier that I drive an 11 year old POS with 102,000 miles on it.

If I go outside this morning and it's gone I'll be more pissed off about the Leatherman that's in the glovebox that I lost than the car!

On a serious note you have to love this new technology when a guy with a USB cable and cell phone can drive away in your $100,000 car in less than a minute!..........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-19-2024, 10:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheThinkers View Post
Also, I am glad they got a taste of their own medicine. Insurance companies are just "legal" thieves.
Insurance companies are not your “Good Neighbor” regardless of what Patrick Mahomes says