THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-20-2022, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Snow belt

Been on my 1520 ford tractor about 16 hrs since Friday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2EAC392C-7159-45AE-A019-0E38DB4A12DD.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	602376   Click image for larger version

Name:	C3037CF7-B6C1-4856-A2FD-A8FBD46871DF.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	602377  

The Following User Says Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I miss shovelling snow in Eastern and JST PA; good exercise, and rest of the day was productive. Now’s justa laying around for the next appliance failure or TH400 project.
Miss shoveling snow? Come on up here to Elma and I’ll cure you of that real quick

The Following User Says Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'll be in Buffalo on Weds before T-day ... they better get rid of that snow before then
Give me a holler when you get into town and make sure you have a shovel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Snow band

A local just posted this on Facebook
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D857A32C-FE30-4804-A9DB-B7F1D732B1F3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	602378  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tellyshavilli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I live near Raleigh NC, and we rarely get any snow. But in January 2000, the local airport reported 18" of snow. On my deck, I measured 22". It was a nightmare, shut everything down for days. It probably took a week or more to finally melt, my yard was mush. I can't imagine having to deal with 6 feet or more of the stuff.

Mike
I remember that storm...a year and a half after we moved down from NY. It was like deja vu...snow to the top of the fender of my Monte Carlo. Fortunately, our house was on the soon to be built Triangle Town Center grid and never lost power.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 11-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

Attended Penn State Behrend in Erie in the 80's. Yes, they get a boatload of snow there, but what really blew me away was the thickness of the ice that formed on the inside window frame of my dorm room while there.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I miss shovelling snow in Eastern and JST PA; good exercise, and rest of the day was productive. Now’s justa laying around for the next appliance failure or TH400 project.
Maybe you could call Forrest, and see if he needs a hand on one of his shrimp boats?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-20-2022, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is always so surreal, seeing that Buffalo is just down the road from us. But we usually get nothing, as was the case this time. But we know that the great people of Buffalo have the determination to survive and thrive in the face of this kind of adversity. It seems to make the place stronger every time.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
This is always so surreal, seeing that Buffalo is just down the road from us. But we usually get nothing, as was the case this time. But we know that the great people of Buffalo have the determination to survive and thrive in the face of this kind of adversity. It seems to make the place stronger every time.
It all has to do with which way the wind blows. If the wind blows towards the east, it has the whole length of the lake to soak up moisture. If it comes from the north to south it has less than 20 miles to pickup moisture. Either way which ever way the wind blows, it dumps all the moisture as soon as it reaches land, hence, lake effect. If the wind went over Lake Erie from south to north, it would likely be too warm to snow, however the prevailing winds seldom blow from the south. Most likely it would be rain up into Canada, and you don't shovel rain.......

Buffalo usually gets the headlines, but Rochester can be just as bad, if not worse, again depends on wind direction, and velocity. One of the worst snow storms I was ever caught in was not in my hometown of Erie. I happened to be in Rochester NY. 38 inches of snow in about 8 hours, I was stuck behind a jack knifed Yellow Freight semi across 2 lanes eastbound expressway. After 8 hours of blizzard, the storm stopped, sun came out, and they righted the semi, ran a plow down the left lane, and I was back on the road again. Thank God I filled the gas tank the night before on the truck I was driving. I ended up with a passenger that slid his car into the median, just as traffic was stopping for the semi.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-21-2022, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Geee... no snow here. LOL

I lived for 57 years in Norhtern NY and we had all kinds if snow and ice. And now I don't miss it one bit. I've lived in Unadilla, Massena, Rochester, and Rouses Point, and Ft Covington, NY all those years.

I've traveled all across NY State... north, south, east, west. I've never seen so much snow as Buffalo, Mexico, and Watertown can get. Delaware, the usual amount these days might be 2 to 3 inches. Anyone up there in Buffalo want to buy my snowshoes? LOL And yes, I still have them from back in the 70s when I needed them up North.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Geee... no snow here. LOL

I lived for 57 years in Norhtern NY and we had all kinds if snow and ice. And now I don't miss it one bit. I've lived in Unadilla, Massena, Rochester, and Rouses Point, and Ft Covington, NY all those years.

I've traveled all across NY State... north, south, east, west. I've never seen so much snow as Buffalo, Mexico, and Watertown can get. Delaware, the usual amount these days might be 2 to 3 inches. Anyone up there in Buffalo want to buy my snowshoes? LOL And yes, I still have them from back in the 70s when I needed them up North.
Yes I need the snowshoes ,really could use them a couple days ago to get out to my shop where the tractor is and to get to the satellite dish

Old 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=buy+snowsh...ng&ia=shopping

Ads for snow shoes:

When I was a kid living in Erie I had a pair of them, made it much easier to walk on top of the snow, instead of wading through it.......

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-24-2022, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I live near Raleigh NC, and we rarely get any snow. But in January 2000, the local airport reported 18" of snow. On my deck, I measured 22". It was a nightmare, shut everything down for days. It probably took a week or more to finally melt, my yard was mush. I can't imagine having to deal with 6 feet or more of the stuff.

Mike
Actually found a pic of digging out of that storm in Raleigh...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221124_110006986.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	602560  

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 11-24-2022, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
More pics of 5’+ of snow in 24 hrs
Ah, yes ... shoveling snow off roofs.
My mom grew up in Western NY. When I was a kid in the '70s, we used to go back there at Christmas time (Olean and East Aurora), and I remember on several occasions having to help shovel roofs.
Have never had to do that in SE Michigan!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 11-25-2022, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Miss shoveling snow? Come on up here to Elma and I’ll cure you of that real quick
I spent four years living on the balmy shores of Lake Michigan in SE Wisconsin. After I had to dig out after a couple of “nor’easters” that dropped two feet of snow in a few hours I decided IF I never had to shovel snow again it would be too soon.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: