Old 05-26-2022, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LQ4 Build

I have an LQ4 at the machine shop for a 408 build. I had planned to run a 58 tooth reluctor wheel, which I didn't think would be an issue because I'll be using an aftermarket engine management, but now I'm wondering what else I'll need to make this work in a Gen III block? The LS world is new to me so any input would be helpful.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ls1tech.com

Old 05-28-2022, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
ls1tech.com
Spent time on there searching but didn’t find the exact information I was looking for…or are you suggesting I post my questions there rather than here?

Old 05-28-2022, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, far deeper knowledge pool - here most are simply Stratostreak fans.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I have an LQ4 at the machine shop for a 408 build. I had planned to run a 58 tooth reluctor wheel, which I didn't think would be an issue because I'll be using an aftermarket engine management, but now I'm wondering what else I'll need to make this work in a Gen III block? The LS world is new to me so any input would be helpful.
Run a Gen4 timing cover with the cam position sensor, run LS3-style knock sensors on the side of the block (you only have provision for 1 on 1 side, not both).

Leave the Gen 3 knock sensors and cam sensors in their stock position to plug holes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Marv. Next problem—what’s the best option for shaker? It’s going in a 79 TA…doesn’t need to be functional but I’d rather not attach it to the hood.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Thanks Marv. Next problem—what’s the best option for shaker? It’s going in a 79 TA…doesn’t need to be functional but I’d rather not attach it to the hood.

If you’re using the factory plastic intake and fuel rails you could make brackets off the rail mount bolt holes and set the shaker scoop up that way so it’s there for looks or run an Injected 4bbl intake with an accufab throttle body. If the engine mounts put the motor in the right spot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2022, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisr View Post
If you’re using the factory plastic intake and fuel rails you could make brackets off the rail mount bolt holes and set the shaker scoop up that way so it’s there for looks or run an Injected 4bbl intake with an accufab throttle body. If the engine mounts put the motor in the right spot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are also plenty of adapters to run stock 3 bolt and 4 bolt LS throttle bodies vertically on a single plane manifold - you really do need a fair bit of cam to make those 4bbl style manifolds work, however

Old 07-30-2022, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post an email and I will send the drawings for our old shaker air pan to LS1.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am trying to educate myself with this LS stuff. Why are we trying to convert to the Gen IV stuff? Do you already have Gen IV engine management or something?

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Post an email and I will send the drawings for our old shaker air pan to LS1.
Dang, missed your post...Appreciate the help!

jefflepine@yahoo.com

Old 08-23-2022, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
I am trying to educate myself with this LS stuff. Why are we trying to convert to the Gen IV stuff? Do you already have Gen IV engine management or something?
My machinist/engine builder and a tuner described a number of advantages to the 58 tooth wheel. Whether these advantages materialize in performance-related benefits is not completely clear to me, however, since I'm starting from scratch with this engine (including engine management), I figured I may as go with gen IV stuff. Doing so complicates things a bit for sure, but the parts I'll need to purchase won't cost that much more.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sent.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
I found it easier to get sensors and parts for Gen IV over Gen III, and tuners I know reckon the 58-tooth reluctor wheel on a Gen IV crank gets better resolution when it comes to tuning properly spicy combos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 408 long block is done. Ended up going with a 4.0" stroke Scat forged rotating assembly with 58 tooth reluctor wheel and a 230 240 114 LSA cam (.625 gross lift)...valve job and resurfaced the 317 heads. The engine will be going in my son's 79 TA so installed a Holley 302-3 oil pan.

Son has no interest in making the engine look old school, so that simplifies things.

As for next steps, wondering if an OEM LS6 intake and cable operated throttle body would work well with this combination in the TA.

Planning to use Terminator X. Car will have TKX, so no need for X Max unless someone convinces me to go with DBW throttle body.

Not sure if the Drive Junky accessory drive will work...car has Ridetech suspension and True Turn.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there “Half-an LS” 4 CYL ?